Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You’re just describing every bike that isn’t a pure sport bike. Who is honestly cross shopping the 2020 HD Fat Smasher against a new S1000RR?

E: how have we not had a thread where we try to come up with Harley bike names?

I cross shop everything and I just buy them all. Harley is much more fun to ride slow than any other bike in my personal opinion. I really really love the sound and shine of the chrome and feeling like a madman only to find out I'm going the speed limit. It's just a personal preference.

Fat smasher sounds like a great name for a harley electric pedal bike. I hope corporate lurks here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Put it on ebay and use ebay shipping where they come collect it from your door to send to the buyer (we have that here in the UK, don't see why you wouldn't in America).

First I'm hearing of it, but I rarely sell on eBay these days. I'll look into that though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oceanlife posted:

feeling like a madman only to find out I'm going the speed limit.

This is a good example of how HD owners think they are vs how they actually are.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Anyhow, here's a video of the fixes needed for the Bob when it's going to the dealership next week, I've spelled it out very clearly for the HD techs, so they don't cock it up. Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRN-PaAJxs

The slop in the throttle shown in the video is not good, is it? I.e. it shouldn't be like that right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That doesn't look normal no but if it's FBW there isn't much you can do unless there's something faulty inside there.

The air filter is like that because it's got stage one bits, the factory unit will be totally weather proof. Kind of like putting super sticky tyres on a sportbike for more dry grip, with the knowledge that wet and cold performance will suffer.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Slavvy, appreciate the confirmation that the throttle is indeed sloppy.

The bone stock 114 Bob has the same filter and sock, so I don't think it's stage 1 related, but perhaps the 107 version is fully sealed... But I might be wrong.

Sagebrush posted:

Heritage™

Hah!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

I cross shop everything and I just buy them all. Harley is much more fun to ride slow than any other bike in my personal opinion. I really really love the sound and shine of the chrome and feeling like a madman only to find out I'm going the speed limit. It's just a personal preference.

Fat smasher sounds like a great name for a harley electric pedal bike. I hope corporate lurks here.

Missed this, yeah this is the appeal exactly.

Normally 'fun inside the speed limit' translates to <200cc and skinny tyres or a motard, Harley are the only bikes that give you fun inside the speed limit with a huge, grunty engine. They are two wheeled muscle cars, their purpose is to do traffic light burnouts, carpark drifting, sitting on a beer crate fitting hot cams, just that general grimy down to earth appeal the old v8's have.

This is why the absolute best Harleys by a country mile are single cam evos and sportsters from the nineties - they're spartan and simple, surprisingly light with the bullshit stripped off, it's possible to make huge gains doing DIY in your shed and they're just simple uncomplicated fun to ride that puts a poo poo-eating grin on your face. These are qualities that are intentionally engineered into the bikes for that reason; metric cruisers are what you get when you try to reproduce a Harley on paper without understanding any of this.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah but what about if you add water cooling and ABS and FI? Does it ruin the "magic"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at equating Harley with intentionally engineering in “fun”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Yeah but what about if you add water cooling and ABS and FI? Does it ruin the "magic"?

They've had FI for over twenty years, it makes them harder to work on but doesn't really change anything. Water cooling is irrelevant, neither here nor there. ABS is standard on all the big bikes afaik, or at least it can be. These are also the sorts of things people who Don't Get It whine about, with a light sprinkling of general ignorance as to why this stuff is on bikes to start with (except ABS which is a no-brainer).

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao at equating Harley with intentionally engineering in “fun”

Classic example of someone who hasn't ridden a good one and therefore Doesn't Get It. Like seriously ride a good sportster or softie and then ride literally any metric cruiser and tell me they're comparable.

I mean you guys know what I'm like, I wouldn't be defending these things so hard if it were all nonsense. I'm not invested in the detestable Harley image or 'lifestyle' or whatever, I'd never tell you that they're an objectively good vehicle, but they are very good fun bikes. Bitching about Harleys is basically just excluding yourself from a super fun facet of bikes and creating needless cliquish elitism because opinion havers on the internet told you it's cool. Like if someone came along here talking about how lovely and dumb motards are because they've never ridden one and everyone who's got one is an obnoxious gently caress, they'd be banned.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 1, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm with Slavvy on this, I'm really enjoying the Fat Bob. It's comfortable and powerful and fun.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your fat bob owns. It's not on trial here.

I tried an iron 883 a couple years back and found it pretty boring. Kinda like an ex250 sort of experience, without the cornering. I've ridden a metric cruiser a bunch since and thought it was way too big and heavy and have no interest to ride it again. I get why people like them, and with a metric cruiser you get something dead reliable.

If slow and fun is the HD thing, that's great. Every gently caress in the world seems to think they mean "BEST THERE IS FASTER AND BETTER AND DONT YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING LESS THAN ALL LIVES MATTER"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not arguing Harley’s can be fun. They can be. I’m arguing the idea that they intelligently engineered fun in rather than fell backwards into it as a byproduct of cost cutting and maybe also being owned by a bowling pin manufacturer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Classic example of someone who hasn't ridden a good one and therefore Doesn't Get It. Like seriously ride a good sportster or softie and then ride literally any metric cruiser and tell me they're comparable.

If I were to hypothetically look for a good sportster that would have the fun factor you're talking about, what sort of search terms would I be using

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seems like slavvy's country only gets chopper castoffs from the USA, so maybe one of those? Prob some sturgis specials running around now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not arguing Harley’s can be fun. They can be. I’m arguing the idea that they intelligently engineered fun in rather than fell backwards into it as a byproduct of cost cutting and maybe also being owned by a bowling pin manufacturer

They most definitely do things on purpose, the engine vibration and chassis geometry are very much intentional and can be easily engineered out, as seen on xr1200 and Vrod.

Sagebrush posted:

If I were to hypothetically look for a good sportster that would have the fun factor you're talking about, what sort of search terms would I be using

Ideally you want a 1200 with the solid engine mounts and a carb, and a small front wheel. The 'custom' always has a big dumb 21" and forward controls, basically any other sportster from the nineties can easily be turned into something good because the underpinnings are all the same, something with mid controls and a normal bar already on there is a good start, they're normally badged as a 'classic' or 'standard'.

The ultimate is the 'S' which has surprisingly good brakes and adjustable suspension and small chunky wheels. The one to avoid is the 'low' as it has zero ground clearance and is generally a dumb bike good for nothing.

The hardest thing to change in general is the wheels, if it's got a normal sized front wheel everything else is fairly easy and cheap to diy - controls, pipes, suspension, brakes, cosmetics, everything. You can also start with an 883 but they're learner slow and don't really have the monster torque that makes the whole excercise fun.

The ultimate ultimate is the xr1200 but that's complicated and bespoke and sort of loses that simplistic appeal for me.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I'll stir the pot here a little bit, what's overlooked is how good the Harley community is. I know what people think about the Harley community. But when you're on the inside and not on the outside being a judgmental squid it's just a great group of well to do guys to go cosplaying with. Think of it as a rolling redneck country club. You'll go on more fun rides and meet more cool professional people with Harley than you will with a sports bike.

And then there's the sheer amount of riding they do. There are 2019 Harleys that have already been traded in with 20k miles in my local dealership. And that's not unusual. So all the respect in the world to those guys. I'm a ATGATT type person and that's one part of the Harley world I'd change, along with the drunk driving, and the faux tough guys shticks, but whatever.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Oceanlife posted:

I'll stir the pot here a little bit, what's overlooked is how good the Harley community is. I know what people think about the Harley community. But when you're on the inside and not on the outside being a judgmental squid it's just a great group of well to do guys to go cosplaying with. Think of it as a rolling redneck country club. You'll go on more fun rides and meet more cool professional people with Harley than you will with a sports bike.

And then there's the sheer amount of riding they do. There are 2019 Harleys that have already been traded in with 20k miles in my local dealership. And that's not unusual. So all the respect in the world to those guys. I'm a ATGATT type person and that's one part of the Harley world I'd change, along with the drunk driving, and the faux tough guys shticks, but whatever.

I struggle with this because I think you're explaining what I'd hoped would be the case. However, I am basically the opposite of everything a stereotypical Harley rider would be, so I have a hard time finding people who I click with in the community.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

Not sure what unicorn Harley group you ran into but most of the ones around here are sons of anarchy cosplayers who ride from bar to bar.

It’s tough to buy what you say when you’re like “they’re great except no one wears gear abs they ride drunk and they are wannabe gang members”. Sounds like exactly the same guys I see here except I don’t weirdly respect them for that stuff.

There are for sure awesome riders out there on Harleys but unfortunately the stereotypes often prove to be true

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Best Harley guys around here are either very old men who ride slow, or ex-racers/hoons/dirt guys who got tired and decided they want a shiny rumblecouch. Both these parties are always fully geared up. Everyone else (the majority) is either a gang member/wannabe, a mid life crisee with chrome skulls everywhere, or SOA cosplaying muppets with punisher skulls and black spray paint, these guys usually have next to nothing on and think sheer manly belligerence will let them chuck norris the pavement into submission.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think my favorite thing maybe is the poker runs held for riders who died riding drunk

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

That being said, you can kind of say the same thing about every motorcycle community. For every fat drunk guy on a Harley, there's a 22-year-old in jean shorts doing wheelies in traffic on a sports bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Q. What kind of motorcycle does Father Christmas use?
A. A Holly Davidson!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:haw:

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
It's almost certainly area specific because in DC Metro the Harley Community is definitely the rolling country club crowd of professionals who just want to get out of the house. On the other hand the sports bike community is nothing like what I see in Florida or Houston, if I want to group ride with new people I need to use the Harley.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is only one bike community that is guaranteed to be rad everywhere you go and that’s the scooter community.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SirLeigh posted:

That being said, you can kind of say the same thing about every motorcycle community. For every fat drunk guy on a Harley, there's a 22-year-old in jean shorts doing wheelies in traffic on a sports bike.

Absolutely true, and I hate all bike communities equally and fairly. I guess dirtbikers are usually cool, and most sumo peeps are also cool. I don't know how the supermoto groups are fun loving hooligans while being mature and chill in person, where the mini groups are mostly spastic idiots. They are similar kinds of attraction.

As usual, the best riding group is mixed between many types of bikes and chosen for the people not the machine.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is only one bike community that is guaranteed to be rad everywhere you go and that’s the scooter community.

This, and apparently moped communities as well? Our local scooter community is very dead, but has zero problematic people in it.

HD should make a maxi scooter. Put the engine underneath the seat, but visible from the sides, give it all the bells and whistles.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Scooters have been dead since the liquor cycle laws. It's all about the E-Bikes for your post-dui transportation needs these days.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

I can’t believe how often I think about waving at someone on an e-bike like some sort of IDIOT.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

As usual, the best riding group is mixed between many types of bikes and chosen for the people not the machine.
:yeah:

I think the dual sports guys around me are pretty cool but a few of them are really chudly on advrider to the point I don't ever want to meet them in person.

With one exception, every single Harley Lifestyle person I've met or witnessed is the stereotypical sloppy, drunk, lovely riding, hey look at me, loudmouthed wannabe biker that the stereotype exists for. Whether they're bankers, IT people, laborers, hardware store employees, male and female alike. It's a community that seems focused on bringing obnoxious assholes together and is tangentially about motorcycles.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SirLeigh posted:

I can’t believe how often I think about waving at someone on an e-bike like some sort of IDIOT.

Just wave, it's fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

With one exception, every single Harley Lifestyle person I've met or witnessed is the stereotypical sloppy, drunk, lovely riding, hey look at me, loudmouthed wannabe biker that the stereotype exists for. Whether they're bankers, IT people, laborers, hardware store employees, male and female alike. It's a community that seems focused on bringing obnoxious assholes together and is tangentially about motorcycles.

I've seen this too, and I think that it's always been this way. I have a strong personal bias against HD as a company because I hold them responsible for easily a third of the terrorism and depravity in America today. Since the 80s at least, they have made it their platform to associate "America!" with hatred of the Other. They have poured their marketing budget into "the way things used to be" and "why improve when we piss excellence". For every person in HD apparel chiding you for your "rice burner jap crap" bike, there is the AMERICAN HARLEY DAVIDSON marketing that has been feeding them that for decades. HD decided sow ignorance and hatred instead of standing on their own merits, and it's had a hand in the culture we see today. It even trickles down to American Wannabe riders in New Zealand, who are angry at living in paradise I guess.

Yes, you could say that fascist motorcycle gangs took to the bikes and built the culture back in the 70s (the worst decade), but HD looked at that and thought "sounds about right!" and perpetuated it. Can you imagine if HD improved with the bailouts they got in the 80s and made rad cruisers in the 90s when people had money coming out of their ears? What if they made sure their image included full gear as "BATTLE ARMOR AGAINST THE ROAD" and how DUIs were for weak pussies?

But they didn't they just glorified mediocrity and hatred and made loads of money off it.

The new notabronx looks hot and I'd totally ride it. The fat boy with that light looks rad. The Livewire is a surprise and lol expensive but good for them. ADVHD looks incredible. More of that, but I'm not sure they can climb out of the hole of their own making.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Regarding the wonk throttle slop, it does seem to be normal on TBW bikes. This is from my 2020 Road Glide. I've kind of gotten used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoykX6fsJ7g

The rest of the thread since then seems to be pretty stereotypical Harley criticism, in that it's about criticizing the community or for faults the company made 30 years ago. I've met more people with 100k+ miles on a touring bike than sport bike riders who would ever consider riding after August, but like with any community, the loudest and shittiest people stick out. For HD it's fat drunks covered in rhinestones.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Around here "the scooter community" is people with DUIs that deliver for DoorDash.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the video Strife. Yours is not as pronounced as mine, but still noticeable. Sigh. I hope they manage to fix mine, it annoys me to no end.

Shame they didn't have the Kahuna Heated Grips for sale here, just their bog standard ones. Yours (whether heated or not) look ace.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks for the video Strife. Yours is not as pronounced as mine, but still noticeable. Sigh. I hope they manage to fix mine, it annoys me to no end.

Shame they didn't have the Kahuna Heated Grips for sale here, just their bog standard ones. Yours (whether heated or not) look ace.

Yeah they're the heated ones. I thought they were the best looking too. The only caveat (which I didn't notice until like 8 months after installing them), is that it's almost impossible to grip them if your hands are sweaty and you're not using gloves. That's probably the only time I ever went for a ride without gloves on, hence not noticing it for so long, but for grips they're surprisingly.. not very grippy. With gloves they're fine, and just thick enough not to cramp the poo poo out of my hands, so it's not a big deal.

Also as far as heated grips go, I've never been able to turn them all the way up without hurting myself. They get hot af.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Coydog posted:

I've seen this too, and I think that it's always been this way. I have a strong personal bias against HD as a company because I hold them responsible for easily a third of the terrorism and depravity in America today. Since the 80s at least, they have made it their platform to associate "America!" with hatred of the Other. They have poured their marketing budget into "the way things used to be" and "why improve when we piss excellence". For every person in HD apparel chiding you for your "rice burner jap crap" bike, there is the AMERICAN HARLEY DAVIDSON marketing that has been feeding them that for decades. HD decided sow ignorance and hatred instead of standing on their own merits, and it's had a hand in the culture we see today. It even trickles down to American Wannabe riders in New Zealand, who are angry at living in paradise I guess.

Yes, you could say that fascist motorcycle gangs took to the bikes and built the culture back in the 70s (the worst decade), but HD looked at that and thought "sounds about right!" and perpetuated it. Can you imagine if HD improved with the bailouts they got in the 80s and made rad cruisers in the 90s when people had money coming out of their ears? What if they made sure their image included full gear as "BATTLE ARMOR AGAINST THE ROAD" and how DUIs were for weak pussies?

But they didn't they just glorified mediocrity and hatred and made loads of money off it.

The new notabronx looks hot and I'd totally ride it. The fat boy with that light looks rad. The Livewire is a surprise and lol expensive but good for them. ADVHD looks incredible. More of that, but I'm not sure they can climb out of the hole of their own making.

You make a lot of good points, and if I'd been this versed in the culture before I bought my bike, I might have reconsidered. Outside of that, I do love everything about my FXBB.

I just wish there was an easier way to meet local Harley riders I'd get along with, without making a craigslist post titled "Mid-30's libtard seeks reasonable Harley owners. Must not own a Harley branded leather jacket."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting how me defending the bikes got us a page of screaming about culture and corporations, but outside of some weak poo poo about anachronism or whatever the bikes remain.

They are good bikes. Nobody ITT is a middle aged Nazi with erectile disfunction and all the actual Harley riders just want to post about their bikes. Which are good.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Interesting how me defending the bikes got us a page of screaming about culture and corporations, but outside of some weak poo poo about anachronism or whatever the bikes remain.

They are good bikes. Nobody ITT is a middle aged Nazi with erectile disfunction and all the actual Harley riders just want to post about their bikes. Which are good.

You give yourself too much credit for this conversation. Also, if HD wanted less discussion of Culture and more about Motorcycles maybe they should have spent more budget on the latter than the former. Also Sturgis 2020 lmao.

Nobody is saying the CA cruiser peeps are anything but cool and good. This goes back to picking good peeps and a mixed vehicle type for the best motorcycle groups. Everyone, including myself, is happy to see and talk about them when they pop up. I've ridden the 883 and wasn't all that impressed, but I still fawn over a good fat front tire HD when I see one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, and to be completely clear, I don't mean HD owners, just the people that drape themselves in branded clothes, cover their truck with stickers, exclusively refer to their bike as "my Harley", and park en masse going "HARLEYHARLEYHARLEYHARLEY." I have a handful of HD-owning friends and acquaintances and have met a lot more of them on the road who just like owning a nice thing that happens to be a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle. Coincidentally, I rarely or never see any branded gear or HD lifestyle zealotry with those people. Same in this forum and on a lot of ADVRider, for as much as I like to poo poo on that community. There's lots of talk here and there about riding, maintenance, trips, etc that is common across all bike brands, but none of the wanking about it being the supreme brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but I don't ride or fix dealers, people, t-shirts and culture so I don't see why it's relevant, it seems that literally every time Harleys come up people have to bitch about the culture, to the point of wandering into the Harley appreciation station to bitch about it.

You guys seem to feel bad about living in a fascist state and see the company as cultural symbol of fascism and yeah, goondolences that sucks. But guess what? Bsa and royal enfield are symbols of imperialism the world over, mv agusta was founded by a literal insane bloodsucking aristocrat, Marc Marquez probably wouldn't have a career if Franco hadn't decided he really liked motorbikes, bmw built stuff for the third reich, cagiva was almost certainly owned by the mafia multiple times, it goes on and on. But nobody sprints in to breathlessly tell rev lester his old bmw is a Nazi sled or that sagebrush's Honda did pearl harbor.

If you want to talk about bikes and their relationship to history and culture and the tension been the natural liberating effect of bikes vs the nature of authoritarian regimes, by all means start a thread we'll have a rollicking old time I've got a few good anecdotes. I don't see why, when every other thread is packed with Harley bashing, it also has to happen here.