Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always loved that wide boi. Excellent choice. Fat front tires make cruisers so much hotter, and I'm a huge fan of the headlight there (how well does it work at night?). Excellent choice, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oceanlife posted:

feeling like a madman only to find out I'm going the speed limit.

This is a good example of how HD owners think they are vs how they actually are.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah but what about if you add water cooling and ABS and FI? Does it ruin the "magic"?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your fat bob owns. It's not on trial here.

I tried an iron 883 a couple years back and found it pretty boring. Kinda like an ex250 sort of experience, without the cornering. I've ridden a metric cruiser a bunch since and thought it was way too big and heavy and have no interest to ride it again. I get why people like them, and with a metric cruiser you get something dead reliable.

If slow and fun is the HD thing, that's great. Every gently caress in the world seems to think they mean "BEST THERE IS FASTER AND BETTER AND DONT YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING LESS THAN ALL LIVES MATTER"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seems like slavvy's country only gets chopper castoffs from the USA, so maybe one of those? Prob some sturgis specials running around now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SirLeigh posted:

That being said, you can kind of say the same thing about every motorcycle community. For every fat drunk guy on a Harley, there's a 22-year-old in jean shorts doing wheelies in traffic on a sports bike.

Absolutely true, and I hate all bike communities equally and fairly. I guess dirtbikers are usually cool, and most sumo peeps are also cool. I don't know how the supermoto groups are fun loving hooligans while being mature and chill in person, where the mini groups are mostly spastic idiots. They are similar kinds of attraction.

As usual, the best riding group is mixed between many types of bikes and chosen for the people not the machine.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is only one bike community that is guaranteed to be rad everywhere you go and that’s the scooter community.

This, and apparently moped communities as well? Our local scooter community is very dead, but has zero problematic people in it.

HD should make a maxi scooter. Put the engine underneath the seat, but visible from the sides, give it all the bells and whistles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

With one exception, every single Harley Lifestyle person I've met or witnessed is the stereotypical sloppy, drunk, lovely riding, hey look at me, loudmouthed wannabe biker that the stereotype exists for. Whether they're bankers, IT people, laborers, hardware store employees, male and female alike. It's a community that seems focused on bringing obnoxious assholes together and is tangentially about motorcycles.

I've seen this too, and I think that it's always been this way. I have a strong personal bias against HD as a company because I hold them responsible for easily a third of the terrorism and depravity in America today. Since the 80s at least, they have made it their platform to associate "America!" with hatred of the Other. They have poured their marketing budget into "the way things used to be" and "why improve when we piss excellence". For every person in HD apparel chiding you for your "rice burner jap crap" bike, there is the AMERICAN HARLEY DAVIDSON marketing that has been feeding them that for decades. HD decided sow ignorance and hatred instead of standing on their own merits, and it's had a hand in the culture we see today. It even trickles down to American Wannabe riders in New Zealand, who are angry at living in paradise I guess.

Yes, you could say that fascist motorcycle gangs took to the bikes and built the culture back in the 70s (the worst decade), but HD looked at that and thought "sounds about right!" and perpetuated it. Can you imagine if HD improved with the bailouts they got in the 80s and made rad cruisers in the 90s when people had money coming out of their ears? What if they made sure their image included full gear as "BATTLE ARMOR AGAINST THE ROAD" and how DUIs were for weak pussies?

But they didn't they just glorified mediocrity and hatred and made loads of money off it.

The new notabronx looks hot and I'd totally ride it. The fat boy with that light looks rad. The Livewire is a surprise and lol expensive but good for them. ADVHD looks incredible. More of that, but I'm not sure they can climb out of the hole of their own making.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Interesting how me defending the bikes got us a page of screaming about culture and corporations, but outside of some weak poo poo about anachronism or whatever the bikes remain.

They are good bikes. Nobody ITT is a middle aged Nazi with erectile disfunction and all the actual Harley riders just want to post about their bikes. Which are good.

You give yourself too much credit for this conversation. Also, if HD wanted less discussion of Culture and more about Motorcycles maybe they should have spent more budget on the latter than the former. Also Sturgis 2020 lmao.

Nobody is saying the CA cruiser peeps are anything but cool and good. This goes back to picking good peeps and a mixed vehicle type for the best motorcycle groups. Everyone, including myself, is happy to see and talk about them when they pop up. I've ridden the 883 and wasn't all that impressed, but I still fawn over a good fat front tire HD when I see one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Obviously you need to get spoke wraps and go crazy with it why are you even asking?!

https://www.amazon.com/Bykas-Spoke-Covers-Single-COLORS/dp/B00DNKLHVA

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean you can get different kinds or whatever. But my honest answer is the silver spokes tie in a lot of other chrome parts, and the overall style, and you should leave it. Nice bike!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love how I've never heard that product name before, yet knew exactly what you are talking about. Great suggestion for those slooowww cruises through town.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can you not buy a used large tank for cheap on ebay and bolt it up? Or fab a bracket to bolt it up?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Re the new Chief Dark Horse, I'm so glad they did away with the stupid cowling on the headlight. I really want one.

I liked the new one until I saw what the last one was.

You think the new one is better than that?! The cowl and huge fenders make it unique and old time and cool. I guess I'm not their target market because I didn't buy the last one or this one, and you clearly want the new one. :shrug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

As Nero Danced posted:

To me the cowl reminds me of an art deco train and fits the rest of the styling.

That's it!! I kept thinking "reminds me of a train" but couldn't quite place it. I mean it's seems like it would fit in in a western, but I kept thinking "train/locomotive". Art deco train is exactly it.

I get why it would put someone off, with that peak in the cowl. If it was less, or rounded, that would be better. But it goes hard and I respect that.

Also your vulcan cosplay rocks and nobody would know that wasn't factory if they saw it out and about. Your vulcan is why I appreciate this sort of big fender cruiser styling nowadays.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Not really sure what your point is, every bike on earth is trying to emulate some bs from the distant past. It's just styling, the bike itself is a quick and capable street bike that retains the sportster's distinctive chassis feel, I wouldn't take one anywhere near a dirt track.

There's a trend on this forum of judging bikes the way a corporation would ie how many did they sell, what was the intended market etc etc but that has no real bearing on the qualities of the bike itself; either Harley customers were too stupid to buy the best bike they ever built, or Harley were too stupid to market it to non-Harley buyers (or both!) but that doesn't change anything about the bike itself.

Wise point that every bike emulates some ephemeral thing from past years. Even the first motorcycles were trying to emulate bicycles/horses or whatever.

For as long as I've been on this forum, the xr1200 has been your favorite. My buddy who builds hawks rode one last year, and I couldn't get him to tell me about it. Best I could get is that the hawk was better and the HD was nothing to write home about. Who knows, though. It certainly looks cool, and 90HP is a fine power output. I assume the torque makes up for it.

Looking at our US market, it's the same story as always. The xr1200 is priced astronomically. There are too many better and lighter bikes you can get for that money. Currently, you can get a used FTR1200 for the same money. Another bike that is emulating flat tracker heritage that I wouldn't take to the dirt track and should have been 750cc instead of 1200cc.

I don't know that people here are judging a bike's goodness based on sales numbers. A bike that doesn't sell well is kind of a pariah because of limited parts and information support.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm on the east coast and a non-s FTR can be found for sub-10k very easily.

Here is one for 9k
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Indian-Motorcycle-FTR-1200-Thunder-Black-5005613024

Meanwhile, I'd have to go up to Illinois to find a decent XR1200 for sub 9k. And the FTR is obviously better than the HD on paper. They are very similar bikes in a very similar price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KTM never had speedo moisture but it helpfully had Speedo Dust instead which was much worse.