Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

As Nero Danced posted:

One day I'll buy a real Indian, but until I have a job that pays double what I'm making now I'm going to stick to my vulcan clone. It's as Indian as I am, looks like it but not enough to count.

Is that a Drifter or a regular Vulcan with a Drifter front fender?

Did you take the back fender off?

I've had an 03 Indian Spirit, an 01 Drifter 800, and an 09 Indian Chief.

The Kawasaki was probably the most fun to ride out of the 3 of them, and the closest to a 50s motorcycle in weight and wheelbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I know this is an open ended question, but what should I do to a 2003 Heritage Softail to improve the handling?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Strife posted:

Yeah, just as soon as I can get to the dealership. I showed this to a buddy of mine with the same problem and he was like "I KNEW IT!"

I wonder what the actual problem is and how they fix it. It's not like there's a throttle cable to adjust.

Not sure if this would apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EsUznPHR_I

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Valt posted:

I don’t understand this question. What is your expectation? Improve it from what? You would need to have an idea of what you want to change before you change anything. The one thing I don’t like about the dyna is that it gets some pretty bad head shake at anything around 80 mph.

*edit*

This only happens with pretty aggressive moves at these speeds. Which honestly basically never happens so I don’t feel anything needs to be changed.

More responsive, goes around corners better. "Better" is a vague and nebulous term, but the stock suspension on most vehicles I've owned is a compromise between cost, comfort, and performance.

I figured the basics of good tires and making sure everything is in good repair is always a smart starting point, with springs and shocks to follow, but I didn't know if there were any common upgrades for that particular kind of bike.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I do want to say that I appreciate that CA gives actual answers to questions.

Most answers I get on FB Groups would give Chilton's a run for their money.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I know this is a little out of left field, but chopper chat has reminded me of something I've been looking at since HD released their Pan America video. It's probably unrelated, but after I watched that I had this clip recommended to me by Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbf5i75O98

It's about an old biker / chopper builder named Tom Fugle. I'd never heard of him, but I noticed his shirt said "Des Moines" on it, and when I watched the credits, it said the clip was filmed in Sioux City. This is where I'm from, so I did a little more research. He was the founder / president of the El Forastero1% MC.

He's featured in the film "21 Days under the Sky," which feels like a 90 minute advertisement for a lifestyle brand that sells $500 axes and beard balm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k7M2GnP3mk

The riders in that film make a pilgrimage to Sioux City to fawn over Tom and talk about how real and authentic he is.

All this jogged some memories and I was like, oh yeah, the son of the people who lived across the street from me in Sioux City used to hang out with the Forasteros, got mixed up with them and another MC, and was brutally murdered.

Basically what I'm saying is, while choppers and such are cool, gently caress these guys who are fawning over Tom Fugle and the dirtbags he hung out with. They try to make him look like some kinda kindly grampa and he was just a POS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

If you have a normal front wheel, it's worth improving. If you have a 21" sell immediately and get a working bike instead.

I have seen the roadster at dealers with both the clip on bars and genuine looking normal bars, I think the clipons are an option you can just not tick. My main problem with that bike was my knee hitting the air filter, the seat is kind of sporty and puts you in a position to want to grip the tank but it isn't possible at all.

What you really want is an xr1200 anyway.

If I had a choice between carb and EFI on a Harley I'd pick carb every time. They're just so much nicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJ0DKE3byY

I know this isn't quite what you're talking about but I asked on an Indian tech Facebook page if anybody ever put a carb on a Polaris Indian motor and everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

I figure people should be able to do what they want with their bikes but I've always preferred carburetors and keys to EFI and fobs.

I was able to take the wife's 2018 heritage out today though and it's a pretty drama-free bike.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 31, 2021