Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone ridden a Rebel 1100? Nearby Honda only has a couple on the floor, and isn't giving out demo rides. Felt good to sit on though :butt:

I've only ever bought used privately so buying a new bike from the dealership is the intersection of "expensive" and "not 100% sure I'm gonna like it".

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've rented half a dozen late model Sportsters, Heritage Software Classics, and Road Kings over the last 10 years, and the bottom of every gauge has always fogged up with moisture.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Any Sportster tire recommendations?

I think Michelin Scorcher 31 are the stock tires on the 1200 Custom.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
OK, fair enough. I believe the 1200 Custom specs 130/90-16 for the front, 150/80-16 for the rear.

My go-to in Canada is FortNine, they have the front in the right size, but looks like they don't carry the rear. The only 150mm width rear is 18" if I'm reading the tire code correctly (150/70-18), and it looks like the only 16" rears are 130mm or 180mm.

The Pirelli site says the only 16" rear is 180/70-16

From some brief internet HARLEY FORUMS searching, doesn't look like a 180 will fit.

Looks like no night dragons for me :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

Go to a different shop and get the dragons in the right size.

I didn't mean for it to be a "which shop to use" problem but a "the OEM doesn't make the tire size I need" problem.

But...

I didn't even notice the GT option, thanks! And it even says on the page, "100% mixable with all Night Dragon front tires"

Thanks for coping with my tire ignorance, hog-thread!

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 19, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

I don’t understand why HD announces these features but doesn’t make sure the individual dealers know gently caress all about them

This reminds me of Jensen Beeler's podcast, when they talked about how HD dealership staff just didn't have any training/motivation to sell "different" bikes like the XR1200 and mostly stuck them in the corner or under the stairs on the showroom floor. The fate of the Pan America similarly rests in the hands of dealerships that will either know how to sell them, or won't. Doesn't surprise me that they don't have any staff who understand how CarPlay works.

Culture is hard to change, I guess.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The 1200 Custom is probably one of the less sporty Sportsters, how can I make it more sporty? I’m growing accustomed to scraping the pegs on what feels like every other corner, but it’s still pretty annoying.

I plan to swap the forward controls out for mids (or perhaps further forward mids), but that won’t change the point at which harder parts (exhaust on the right side first?) start touching.

What would the next step be, taller rear suspension?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Taller shocks, non-idiotic front wheel with the associated non-idiotic fork fix pretty much all of this. After that it's small stuff like getting high headers etc. If you aren't prepared for the cost and pain of ditching the 21" front wheel, doing basically anything else is completely pointless and I wouldn't bother.

As of 2012 the 1200 Custom comes with 16” wheels, front and rear. Mine’s a 2015 and I’m putting those 16” Night Dragons on soon.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Ooooh in the case it's shocks + fork inserts and then :getin:

Something like these? https://fortnine.ca/en/progressive-suspension-monotube-fork-cartridge-kit

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You almost certainly won’t keep your first bike for more than a season or two, while you learn how to actually ride a motorcycle. Don’t worry so much about the type of bike, I know in your head you want a specific style, namely an American Cruiser (tm), but as long as it’s beginner friendly it’ll do. Any of the bikes, cruiser or otherwise, mentioned in that beginner thread will very likely be fine. You’ll probably drop it in some minor way, and that’s fine. The point is to set yourself up to have a little bit of knowledge and experience so that in a season or two, you’ll be able to get the bike you really want and not immediately gently caress it up.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Rare on an Internet forum to have regulars advise caution and temperance, rarer still to see the advice acknowledged and followed. Especially in the cruiser space ;)

C.A. is truly a wonderful place.

Edit P.S. the stock sportster seat is designed for pain :(

epswing fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 21, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’ve bought a couple aftermarket seats in the past and gotten lucky. It’s a big expense for a product you won’t really know you’ll like until you actually get it, and use it. There’s not much consolation in knowing that any seat will be better than the stock Sportster seat.

That said, any brands/models that stick out?

Possibly relevant information: I’m 5’10”, 165 lbs, 31” inseam, riding a 1200 Custom that will very shortly have mid pegs, indifferent about solo vs 2up.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Trip report, acquired mids to replace my forward controls, started getting them on tonight. As usual a seemingly simple procedure upon further inspection snowballed into more work than anticipated. To get to the mid mount holes in the frame, I thought I might be able to loosen a few things, however there's not much choice but to remove the front exhaust, which is connected to the rear exhaust, which means removing both mufflers, and the heat shields. Removal went fine, except getting the rear muffler off took a lot of effort, I'm not looking forward to getting that sucker back on. Also one of the rear exhaust bolts was loose :stare:

I'm halfway done, got the pegs mounted on the right side because I wanted to do the hard side first (the left side should be a cakewalk). Next step is to install everything in reverse order, after replacing the exhaust gaskets, which I've been warned should be replaced anytime the exhaust comes off.

I know this is all probably really simple stuff for experienced folks, and knowing what I know now I could probably do it in half the time. First time I've seen a valve in the flesh though :feelsgood:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Wow, as hoped, mid pegs made the Sporty an actually ridable motorcycle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’ve rented a number of Harley baggers and always brought a specific hex key to remove the heel shifter in the parking lot. I just threw it in one of the bags for the duration of the rental.

I find floorboards very comfortable. Having both the ball and heel of my foot supported at the same time is less fatiguing for longer trips.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ADINSX posted:

I always assumed it was so you didn't have to scuff your boots alligator skin loafers

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Valt posted:

It also looks like it has the same seating position as like a vrod or something. Hands out in front and low and feat way out in front.

Toe Rag posted:

It’s mid controls in the promo material but then forward on the site — both US and UK. Is it going to be a purchasing option, or just fall out from some internal slapping match? Forward controls look like they’d be very awkward.

I never gave the vrod a 2nd glance after seeing the riding position, poor folks folded in half with their hands and feet looking like they're holding onto a beach ball.

My tailbone, lower back, and shoulders would all just implode after 60 seconds on that torture rack.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oops wrong thread

epswing fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 6, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Today I scraped my right peg, and while doing so, felt a second different sounding scrape a millisecond later. It was one of the bolts holding the front pipe to the pipe bracket, part of the head of the bolt is scuffed. It sticks out further than makes any sense to me, I had initially thought it was the pipe itself scraping. I guess I was a hair away from dumping the bike. This is also tells me that the peg feeler (mid pegs on a Sportster) is basically just before scraping "hard parts". I thought I’d have more room to work with.

I'm a little scared now.

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 30, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

You can get high pipes for a sportster but then you'll just touch down on the left instead, taller shocks are the answer.

Right, I'm weighing the difference between making my 1200 Custom less lovely (mid pegs, taller shocks, better front suspension), or just selling/buying a Roadster (all of the above plus dual discs, usd forks, steeper rake, bonus nicer tach/odo) which has a claimed lean angle of 31° vs the normal 27°. My only problem with the modern (2016+) Roadsters are the comically low bars (thanks, cafe bros), but I'm thinking a set of Biltwell Moto or Burly Scrambler bars, perhaps with a 1-2" riser, will fit me well. Alternatively, the old gen 2004-2008 Roadsters have sensible bars (and carbs for '04-'06), but these are hard to find.

So, change the pegs (done), shocks, suspension vs a Roadster with a handlebar job. Hm.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

If you have a normal front wheel, it's worth improving. If you have a 21" sell immediately and get a working bike instead.

I have seen the roadster at dealers with both the clip on bars and genuine looking normal bars, I think the clipons are an option you can just not tick. My main problem with that bike was my knee hitting the air filter, the seat is kind of sporty and puts you in a position to want to grip the tank but it isn't possible at all.

What you really want is an xr1200 anyway.

If I had a choice between carb and EFI on a Harley I'd pick carb every time. They're just so much nicer.

16" wheels front and back (I think 2009 and earlier had the 21" front).

I've heard/read the Roadster seat is unusable, just like all stock Sportster seats. The air filter in the way is just a bonus.

The XR1200 looks like a riot but the seating position isn't for me, mainly the pegs are too far back. Also it's really hard to find one of these that hasn't been hosed with.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Never seen anyone day that before, have you sat on one? They feel like a squat ADV.

I've sat on a couple but never actually ridden one, so that doesn't count. When I think about it, I guess the complaints I've read about Roadster seats are mainly from hdforums.com and xlforum.net, and while those forums have been good technical resources, opinions about comfort are just that, subjective opinions.

Only way to calibrate the butt-gauge is to just ride one. I wish rentals weren't so expensive.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Valt posted:

You are honestly much better served by fixing the one you have and turn around sell it for 4k.

Are you trying to use logic? You know this is the Harley thread right?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Oh, I'm intimately familiar with the stock harness after the last bike I built up. the motivation for potentially* buying a simplified one was to streamline everything as much as possible when doing post-framework/paint assembly. even after a pretty substantial reduction of the stock harness on my '95 i'm likely going to have to go through it again this winter to do some simplification and elimination of excess/unused wires. sportster treatment doesn't stock harnesses for 04+ sportsters at this time, anyway

Just curious, what parts of the stock harness are you planning on not using?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

Why do useful things have to look so nerdy.

It's no windjammer, looks good to me :shrug:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

You could probably just push it really hard and it'll rotate down, but if not just back off the screws very slightly, twist it down, and then re-tighten them. As long as you're not tightening the absolute poo poo out of them you probably don't need the torque specs.

Also, if you’re touching the fasteners I think you are, you’ll want a T27 torx bit (star pattern). The T25 will appear to fit, but you’ll be unwittingly rounding out your screw heads.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ah maybe you’ll get used to them. The first time I switched from stock (Michelin Scorchers) to those Pirellis, yeah, it felt weird for a bit. It’s like they want to tip/turn, much more than the stock tires that I suspect were designed to mostly want to go straight.

After a couple thousand kms I predict you’ll have a different opinion.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
13 C and just took my new-to-me 2005 Roaster out for the first spin. I swapped the stock exhaust back on (heat shields pending), swapped the slammed short shocks with no travel over to much taller shocks, replaced a filthy air filter, still have to flush the brakes and fix a slow valve stem leak, otherwise it’s in great condition.

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Britva Cutter posted:

How would I know if I can reach forward controls easily?

Find a dealership in your area that has your make/model with forwards, and go sit on it.

Edit: Also to get a visual idea, plug your bike and height/inseam into http://cycle-ergo.com/

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

dema posted:

That's a great looking bike.

Thanks! Clutch needs work and there are some minor scuffs/scratches, but yeah, had my eye out for one of these original Roadsters for years. Definitely my fav Sportster tank/trim, even if it is the 3.3 L