Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

This game seems extremely charming and funny but I can't help but think that the battles are going to get really tedious after a while. The ring-based system seems clever but I feel like I'm just going to get tired of it a lot faster than I'd get tired of a more straightforward turn-based combat system.

If each new fight is essentially a new puzzle, I'm totally down. Menu based combat RPGs get boring during the first battle. I'm not horny for XP, I think generally it's a bad system for exactly the same reasons some people love it, being able to be under or overpowered via XP is a turnoff. Every battle should have a point, or it's a poo poo encounter we should skip. Intentionally fighting random trivial battles for XP is mechanic and system I won't allow in my household.

This is a buy. Question is, do I buy this or Death Stranding? I'll only have time for some of either this month and next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I'm totally down on them ignoring the brickheads who want them to re-release an old lovely combat system, but Nintendo not allowing them to explore the very world and universe the game is set in is a major turn off. I like the sound of the new combat system, but I've got a very low tolerance for number of toads I will tolerate in one game. Super Mario Maker 2 was pushing it with the toad count. Curse you, whoever at Nintendo is playing so tight to the chest with their whimsical IP.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cappy shoulda been part of this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like most companies would've taken a phenomenae like "Bowsette" and actually ran with it. Yeah, maybe Nintendo doesn't want to get all horny on main, but you know, at least coyly take advantage of the demand for your brand. Make a Peach Odyssey, FFS, there's literally nothing about Mario that makes him better or worse at the tasks he does, how they make Super Mario 2 let you play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad but every game since then it's a toss-up whether you even get Luigi option. Just saying, even bowsette fever can be embraced in a kid friendly way if they would just stop acting like it's a privilege for us to even see their characters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

lol that the one time they did give Peach her own adventure it was like "these broads, so overemotional, am i right fellas?"

the game itself was fun and i thought the graphics were really cute so i'd love some kind of sequel, but yeah

I almost wish they'd re-release it today just because it somehow escaped the scathing it deserve at launch. Like, everyone recognizes how blatantly and lazily sexist it is, I just think it deserves a whooping through twitter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Twitter is where public flogging spectacles go. Yelling here is about as loud as yelling in your bathroom. Unless Nintendo lives next door, how will they receive their due shame? and preferably the japanese twittersphere takes them to task. IIRC abroad input isn't as important.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

While it’s not as involved and in-depth as the other RPG’s if you’re a fan of Tetris or simple puzzles its a pretty fun casual system. I like it, some of the puzzles seemed tough but not getting them right isn’t as bad as some people make it out to be,

What do you mean by depth here? Hard to imagine a system more shallow than turn-based menu combat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's what I say to games with menu-based combat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember fighting about whether Zelda is an RPG or not 20 years ago and at this point I think I'll always be on the "it's an RPG side"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Violen posted:

I wandered back into town before starting Shogun Studios to see if there was any new gear and I accidentally stumbled into Wind Waker and these configurations are loving terrifying

https://i.imgur.com/AV6Z5Aw.mp4

I don't know which streamer this is but I sure hope it's the last one or I don't think my brain is going to be okay

It cracks me up to see coin totals so high. Do things cost a ton of coins or do they just give you a bunch with nothing to ever spend em on and it piles up?