Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Finished the game, enjoyed it a lot.

It is frustrating that Nintendo has all these weird restrictions on what can and can't be in a paper mario game now though, like as creative as the game was we're never going to get anything as well drawn and interesting as the Bean-Bean Kingdom or Rougueport again are we?

I hope in the next one they just drop the battle system entirely, i liked the puzzle aspect but its kinda dumb theres only really 2 patterns to make. Also theres no tactical choice, either you enter the solution and get the damage boost that lets you trivialise the fight or you don't. Theres's no choosing to arrange enemies in certain ways and you have useless leftover poo poo like the hurlhammer that lets you hit far away enemies with a hammer attack but a) if enemies are in that formation but not in range of the hammer you allready hosed up and are doing 2/3 damage and b) it doesn't even have the properties of a hammer attack if you use it in a boss fight, so you can't use it in place of an actual hammer attack for the scripted bits.

The boss fights were pretty nice though, if a bit simplistic. It was nice how they kept mixing up the mechanics but that kinda petered out towards the end, like the stapler didn't do anything to the board and the staple depleting didn't really go anywhere, they just did a strong attack that depleted them automatically after a coule of turns anyway. The final boss was just a bossrush except you just had to do the same 2 actions for all the bosses.

A step up from color splash at least and anyone complainjng about the durability on the attack items is nuts I just used the most powerful items at all times and never ran out. But just please try something new next nintendo instead of putting these watered down remanants of a once interesting battle system into each and every new one of these. If you're making an action adventure game just stop putting these rpg like battles in the game go full puzzle if you must.

I drat near got 100%, do I need to do the boss battle simulatior/get a perfect score on the quiz to see the extra cutscene?

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yes. Have fun with that. :negative:
To youtube I go then.

Regarding Bobbly there were 2 bits that really stuck out to me:

if you check the pile of rubble after cheering up Olivia thetes a brief scene where Mario just stands there for a moment. I dunno why but that just really got me.

The other thing is I really hated how meanspirited the section on the airship felt. On balance I felt lke Bobby's death felt contrived but was handled well enough that I didn't mind it but that scene felt like 'this is the punchline to Bobby's death' and I did not care for it.