Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
holy poo poo at the midas river hell redux

I wanted it back but not like this

not like this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm ordinarily stubborn as hell about using hint systems in games but around the time I jumped into a ? block that was quite literally like arbitrary unit 37 of 143 in 'grass plain' if you split its screen into a grid and simultaneously had a toad tell me 'better pull out your radar and get to work in the wheat fields, gently caress-o' I realized this was a really stupid thing to do

4/5 secrets are signposted in at least some fashion and I'll still be as thorough as I can be about an area on a first and second pass before I bust those helpers out for the leftovers but don't be me, the game actively begs you not to

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I wandered back into town before starting Shogun Studios to see if there was any new gear and I accidentally stumbled into Wind Waker and these configurations are loving terrifying

https://i.imgur.com/AV6Z5Aw.mp4

I don't know which streamer this is but I sure hope it's the last one or I don't think my brain is going to be okay

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
My philosophy with the battles has just been to jump into them whole hog as an action puzzler and I've been enjoying it on those merits honestly.

it feels genuinely satisfying to get each configuration's perfect solve and I've definitely been stubborn about it for trickier ones just because I want to figure out a solution for its own sake, like with the above example where I may or may not have spent what I earned in bought time

and I do like that if I can't be assed, I can just deal with it like a pleasant-enough simple rpg system that's reasonably snappy. the timed hits on guarding attacks is definitely the highlight as far as mario rpg stuff goes since there's a litany of them for each enemy and amount of enemy and the animations are cute and cheeky in terms of timing. plus if I REALLY can't be assed I can always buy my way to victory which is funny

with all of that in the mix I feel like the amount of battling has been appropriate and doesn't repeat its puzzles too often. it helps that you can avoid a good 70% of encounters and you get the whole 'auto-defeat weak targets' progression checkpoints for toad and ? block hunting revisits

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
you get that many coins that early in the game by accidentally going out to the sea and finding the island that gives you like 30k coins, but also just from fighting whatever you come across plus perfect solves give you a shitload of cash that builds up quickly

beyond all that the game just showers you in cash though, there's like a 1k bag around every corner. I have this without any grinding or repeating fights/collection in areas and I've been spending on whatever's around to spend on

EDIT: I also redid the island once though just because I wanted to see if there were diminishing returns and thats another 10k so more naturally I'd just have 30k at this point and I'm at the last area before the end of the blue streamer in that screenshot so there's probably a bunch of expensive accessories and a new trophy to spend it all on like an hour away

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I did the final dungeon and wrap-up of the yellow streamer and by now I'm convinced that by the time I reach the final streamer this game's going to reach infinite songs and I'll be trapped in a mobius strip along with everyone else who's been lying about finishing

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
as someone who has repeatedly self-owned in situations like that because I'm a loving idiot, I can tell you you just need to go to an entirely new area to reset the state of one-chance stuff

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

the will of T

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is one of the stupidest games I've ever played and I mean that as a sincere compliment

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
YELLOW STREAMER SPOILERS

savage

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

I think my eyes are actually bleeding out

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
presumably that's as much of a clusterfuck as you can face at least by way of enemy count if the UI is anything to go by

it loving well better be

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I read everything captain . t ode* says in xander mobus's voice for the conductor from a hat in time

*not to be confused with captain toad or sea captain toad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah this ones easy, move the bottom ring right then the top ring rightwards.

the real rear end gently caress is probably the second fish row from the top...

no it's an easy puzzle but it's a visual nightmare

it's such a visual nightmare they brought signposting back even though fights have mostly left that behind by now, which is what makes it easy (the angry fish and the non-angry ones group up cleanly)

if this was just a bunch of poker-faced fish I'd probably die

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
speaking of no signposting this is the hardest puzzle I've encountered yet I think

https://i.imgur.com/DuYcMum.mp4

maybe it's just brain rot but I had to pump as much as I won into this for the time I needed to solve it

sorry to turn this into an LP of throwaway random encounters, I just got a little taken aback to have these back-to-back from unassuming fish

EDIT: actually on second thought if I'd just reversed things they would've grouped up perfectly so I'm going to go ahead and call it brain rot

Violen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 28, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
so the great sea is just an entire game on its own huh

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the game's been really good about shifting the central structure of each 'chapter' in playful and significant ways

also the song for when you're cruising about belongs up there with any of the airship theme greats IMO

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
wow the ice vellumental has a lot going on

felt like the sum total of every other boss to date in terms of the amount of stuff to figure out and the number of 'phases'

EDIT: also shook as hell about fighting this dude in the sim

Violen fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I can't believe Bowser Jr. is loving dead

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the dynamic between these two dweebs is great lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the game over cranks in the green streamer are pretty funny on a blind pass three feet from a save point but I cannot imagine the stress of all the on-field ways you can bite it total in this game for anyone wild enough to attempt a 'no game overs/accessories' run for those sweet banners

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I mean I guess I'd be safe if I'd just let Kamek own me with facts and logic

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
luigi can tell mario luigi's the helper to make mario feel better while we all know the real dynamic at play

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yo shy guys finish last is some trashfire poo poo lol

why the gently caress do you have to waste your time with 15 minutes of filler surrounding the 4 challenges that mean anything

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I thought I could game the roulette with timing as I was doing the first normal plot pass but then near the end the friction period changed itself up so you can't even frontload the 50 pointers to figure out whether it's a bum attempt early in instead of after 20 minutes on the 11th round or w/e

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I felt like hot poo poo too because I got the level 3 ninji minigame correct on the first pass and then on my first perfect game attempt I rolled the level 3 ring scramble and passed that as well, but then level 3 goomba math destroyed me because I had to gamble on whether 1 or 2 goombas I overlooked out the corner of my eye left the pool and I chose poorly

I was really hoping the first try would be a beginner's luck thing but now I'm resigned to hell

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Amppelix posted:

i mean, just cheat with the capture button

that's lame IMO

I mean as in it feels personally lame to me to do it myself I don't give a poo poo if anyone else did it obviously

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it's a shame because the minigames are neat, it'd be a great little aside with the fat cut

like hey here's the supercut, can you solve the 4 level 3 challenges in a row, mario

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
(mario's answer is no)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I wish bowser were my dad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I love the rapidfire shakeups they introduce to regular battles through the green streamer and I'd really have appreciated some kind of gauntlet mode somewhere or other in the game that incorporated the full spectrum of various gimmick enemies and scenarios into brutal brainmelter poo poo

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also I'm pretty sure I've doubled over my time in this game listening to the OST in the museum after completing each streamer because there's seriously a day of music tallied up in this game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
speaking of the music I just reached the final area and I can't believe it still has heights to climb to

they knew they had a banger because they do the classic cool jrpg thing of carrying a song across field and battle

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
vague ending thoughts the music in this game is so stupidly excellent that the ending got me pretty bad regardless of how worn or pointless you can argue it as

I'm a sucker for the big montage of characters and places mario rpg endings anyway so I was screwed no matter what, and this one was really good about that

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 1, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
noticed this when checking out one of the collectibles lol

end of green streamer spoilers

trash game

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 1, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

the only thing left is to have olivia turn me into a paper crane and wish I never did this

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I just don't at a personal level care about owning the thematic and emotional spirit of a 'sacrificial wish' timeworn fairy tale ending to a very fairy tale story with facts and logic. not saying that's not valid criticism to how they structured and executed the concept necessarily but it doesn't factor into the impact for me, especially because of the presentation. if i try to appraise like that through my own purview it just comes off as hey just wish for infinite wishes kind of poo poo. I also didn't play color splash or finish sticker star though so who knows how tired that would've inherently made me if this were my third pass through the idea lol

anyway the bittersweet capstone/sendoff OP wanted is the 100% scene, I'd just look it up. between the ambiguity in the nature of everything and the craftsman calling his fold of olly's body his final fold of life, olivia's silent look toward mario implying understanding and resolution of consequence and intent and mirroring bobby's decision and influence, luigi and peach's lines, the little hopeful stinger of olly's theme in the ending music, and the collectible you find in the plaza postgame, I got everything I needed out of her story through the base experience. it reminded me a lot of how ramza and his sister are handled in FFT's ending philosophically. also this is a non-sequitur sort-of but I appreciated bob-ombs showing up on the princess peach in the character tour credits and bobby's memory becoming a part of shogun studios' festivities with the fireworks. I think the game handled the in memoriam stuff just fine tbh

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
The headspace I was in experiencing the main throughline of the plot is also why I didn't get too beat-up about the logistics of olly's motivations or the general idea of unforeseen consequences of creating life which are treated seriously and played straight by the tone outside of a little meta-wink with the 'it's toads all the way down' thing, so that's how I treated it internally. like it's the symbolics that mattered to me and they worked for me through the lens of some dark pinocchio poo poo. it all felt like pretty established antiquity fable about the concept of automatons and stuff and it played its salon era heaviness and darkness where it wanted to just fine

also I actually don't agree with the read that Olivia bumbled her way into her own unmaking at all lol, her and olly definitely have a childlike perspective on everything and that's a critical part of their characters, but I don't think it extends to something quite that sadistic or that the exploration of those traits were interested in that direction. otherwise I don't see what the point of her long glance at mario before making her wish are meant to impart because otherwise from her perspective what's the big deal. I think a clear understanding of what she's about to do ties in to her relationship with bobby way cleaner, too

Violen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 8, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the unique track that plays there is really good and fits the mood perfectly, one of my favorites on the OST for sure despite being a short loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I have bad news about the super sudden death round once you've finished a perfect game