Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm excited for this game, Sticker Star sucked rear end but Color Splash was very cool.

Also I think Paper Mario as a franchise is the first one with such a lovely whiny fanbase that it made me hate it's older games in retrospect because of how lovely TTYD and 64 stans are. I can't appreciate them anymore because I hate that part of the fanbase so much for being so insanely bratty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

not a bot posted:

Origami King looks nice and here's to hoping it won't be a boring slog to play. Everything that's been revealed points to it being cool and good.

The worst thing about Bug Fables is that it's really, really slow and when you've completed the first chapter you've seen everything the game has to offer since all chapters follow the same structure and there is nothing new coming up later. 30+ hours repeating the same thing. The characters are nice and charming at first but they are very one-note. I'd say wait for a sale on that one, even though otherwise it's solid and scratches that TTYD itch.

This is kind of how I felt and by the end. I kept finding myself going "okay x is bad or boring but its a indie game so I'll cut it slack" and by the end of it I was just "maybe it's just bad."

Leif felt underpowered, Kabbu felt like he was overpowered as all hell and Vi seemed balanced, but had so many badges to customize her that you'd think she was the only character in the game. All the settings were kind of drivel and a lot of it felt like 'TTYD did it so we have to as well'. (The forced arena segment especially.)

I thought the writing was super clunky and the art was outright ugly most of the time and just... ehhh. I still don't want to say it's bad as that just feels mean for a super small team of people, but I think it's very, very hit or miss.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bust Rodd posted:

This is an objectively dumb way to approach media, or indeed, anything.

Sorry but I can't agree in this case, where on social media or literally any game discussion board if I say I'm excited for it I'm told I'm a dumb idiot moron because it doesn't have exp and I don't understand game design and I shouldn't like it have you even played TTYD?

Love to be called underage because I'm fine with different types of games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I've made harmless tweets just saying "I can't wait for Oragami King! I hope it's good!" and been football tackled by idiots telling me that I'm wrong for thinking that.

When Color Splash came out I remember saying that the battle system kinda stunk but I loved everything else about it, therefor I thought it was a good game overall just with flaws- and I was called a idiot because 'dude look at ttyd it gave you star points! There's no reasons for you to fight in Color Splash! No star points! Bad game! God let me rant in your ear about toads and unique npc's'

I'm sick of hearing about unique npcs. I'm sick of hearing about star points. I'm sick of being told I can't enjoy the new Paper Mario because some weirdos desperately search for posts to argue about on other platforms. Hell even on SA I've had it happen. Look at literally the first post in this thread, imagine that getting posted unironically every time the franchise gets brought up. I'm so tired of it dude.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Araxxor posted:

Regarding the concern of lack of incentive and progression from battles, it seems like they might have actually addressed that this time around according to leaked copies of the game.

Coins can be used to permanently upgrade your stats. Why they didn't reveal this in marketing is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the gamexplain guys said that there's no stat upgrades or anything just Olivia saying "you look stronger" after boss fights and you being able to instant kill weaker enemies.

Did they just miss a mechanic entirely or

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Curious about the elemental boss fights that GX mention. They said it took them over a hour to beat some of them and they got super pissed during it but literally every other review never really mentioned them or said the difficulty was fine

Wonder if it's just a bit of not getting it or just something that got glossed over by others.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paper Scrap Story too

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The koopa/goomba/snifit are all stage hands for a amusement park and just in costumes for it.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So they can't create more characters like Goombella, but they can create more characters like Vivian as shown by the helper characters in the post TTYD games.

Am I getting that right?

Yeah, they can make stuff as long as it's a completely original species which is what's getting overlooked a lot right now.

Mario Odyssey's dragon and whatnot are currently getting paraded around but like, it's not a koopa. Dr. Waluigi isn't a new character, it's Waluigi in a coat. The ghosts in Luigi's Mansion are a species of their own.
Intsys isn't Nintendo EAD, they're probably under far heavier restrictions

Its a bummer but it makes enough sense to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Toads

It's me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think you get more attacks per turn based on if you solve the puzzles right.

Got through the sewers and I think it's fun but I can also see how the normal battles can get tiring if you have to keep doing them back to back to back. Least in the early game where the 'puzzle' is just a swoop moving slightly to the left a single space.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They don't waste time introducing enemies that can survive a normal jump if you're worried about that. I had one puzzle layout so far that also confused me so I'm just 'oh dear'.

Right now fighting the very first boss but just letting the music play because boy the OST is good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Woke up and turns out I was like 2 steps away from the colored pencil boss. As a fan of CS I will say one thing somewhat alarmed me for the negative as a repeating trend- but it might not be a big deal in the long run as I still had fun.

In color splash you'd fight a koopaling and they'd have normal attacks and gimmicks, but when low on HP they'd activate a super move that will for sure kill you. In this period you would use a thing card and the boss would get deflated and the fight might as well have been won from there outside like, Larry dropkicking.

In Origami King the Earth elemental boss had some pretty nasty attacks but once I got his hp down to 2/3rds the game strongly hinted that I flip him with a magic panel. When I did it just let me beat the poo poo out of him until he died taking away the rest of his health in one go.

Colored Pencils did something similar where I was screwing up his weakness (trailers told me what it was so I'm pretty eh, even then pathing stuff out is surprisingly tough if you're trying to get as many buffs as possible.) Halfway through it's HP bar it said 'screw it here's my big mega attack' and I took a random guess as to how to stop it- and I was right! But this led to the boss getting put in a defunct state and me beating the poo poo out of it for almost all it's remaining health- and even though it survived all it could do was some pitiful garbage attack that did 0 damage when blocked. My big concern is that while the Thing Cards are 100% gone the bosses are going to follow this rule of catch the mega gimmick halfway into their hp and then they just die.

There's a good chance it won't amount to that big of a deal, but still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Color Splash had a really REALLY lovely opening where it front loaded 90% of the toads in a bland setting. After Morton goes to hell the games quality ramps up greatly.

I'm kind of finding the same thing here to a lesser extent. Up to the earth temple I was just flat out unsure if this was going to be any good, but just got to the save outside the water temple boss and yeah I'm kind of loving it? Even if a handful of these puzzles are making my peanut brain pop a little.

My biggest complaint would be the fact I'm loving up pretty hard here and there on puzzles and getting womped by enemies- but I never seem to go below max HP. I feel like I just have to spend 100-200 coins on toads and they'll toss me a 50+ heart and give me a step in the right direction if I really need it so my health never really goes anywhere. Compound it with the health accessory acting as soft HP (I have +10, this gives me 10 'armor' to use that recharges every encounter) I'm just kinda... never in danger.

I know I can kneecap myself to a certain extent but I think it would be nice to ask the toads to do a specific thing instead of throwing a million health items at me so I can at least see what danger looked like if I used that feature.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rock My Socks! posted:

One of the early reviews (Polygon) described the combat as “rediculously punishing”. Are ya’ll finding that to be the case?

I kind of touched on this but it's in a weird place right now where you get some puzzles and you feel clever, but every here or there it just *vomits* enemies at seemingly random and with absolutely no guidance Good loving Luck.

The thing is the game doesn't want you to die. Bribe the toads to give you a hint on where to start moving the puzzle? They'll throw a 80% full heal your way. Get injured in a long treck through a part of the world? There's benches dotting the land for you to full heal. Then there's the Secret Coffee Shops, or the hearts in boss battles that get you back to full with minimal effort. You get the poo poo absolutely beat out of you sometimes but the game just struggles to punish you for it.

As for the question on battle speeds I'd say they're pretty speedy and take like 40 seconds to a minute for me. Early on they're 10 seconds but as it's asking me to move things with 3 turns I've found it taking longer and longer. The only time I groan when getting into a fight is when it's 3 goombas on the overworld and the two don't join in for a Wave Battle (clears all 3 at once) like they should, so I have to return to the overworld each time. They're pretty brisk so far.

Also after the Red Streamer the enemies will come pre-jumbled so you no longer see what formations they want you to make. You have to just wing it and craft your own by eye sight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the battle system is fine as a nice distraction from adventuring and whatnot but god it becomes downright terrible when you have encounter after encounter after encounter. The ninji house is misery incarnate despite being a fun theme.
Dozens of battles against Ninji's who counter the hammer, so it's just making straight lines to jump on the entire time. I was told I missed 3 ninja masters and to try again and gently caress that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Geostomp posted:

I’m curious on the consensus here. I found this game mostly charming, but weighed back by the inane decisions to never allow characters unique designs or names and the aversion to RPG elements with little substantial to replace them beyond gimmicks that wear out their welcome.

Out of the “modern” series, it’s easily the best, but can we say it could stand close to, say Super Paper Mario?

Color Splash kicked Super Paper Mario's rear end, so if this game winds up being just as good or around it it'll be fine I imagine.

Right now, to me, it feels like they tried to put back some of the old DNA into color splash and it's not gelling perfectly- but it's still really enjoyable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well that's a first for paper mario in general :smith:

Spoilers for after you solve the boat mystery
It was corny as hell with the set up but I didn't expect them to just flat out kill off Bobby and have you try to console Olivia about his death. Saying goodbye to his spirit actually made me sad. I'm such a easy mark.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BurgerQuest posted:

Counterpoint: Bobby was a lazy poo poo and chasing him down was a pain in the rear end.

I mean, he did a TON of fighting for me so I found him helpful. He was a nice bomb to hang with :shobon: .

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

make this image the thread title

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Torquemadras posted:

Maybe they mean that the story doesn't do any of the more unusual setups?

Like the detective wrestling saga, or the part where the boss steals your body after what seems to be the final fight, or the time where a world is destroyed mid-chapter in SPM. Not that this is necessarily better, but repeating the basic structure without any surprises seems like playing it safe.

Didn't play OK though, so no idea if that's true.

It's not.

Right after the blue streamer you get cut off from going to the next area and have to detour to a different part of the world to find a derelict creepy cruise ship and solve the mystery of what happened to the people on board, then you get some actual story telling that I'd compare to TTYD and a few side areas before finally being allowed to enter the next area.

TOK is like Color Splash in that it gives you TTYD like settings like Glitz Pit etc, but due to the unique characters being missing it has to work around it and give Mario mysteries to solve in that setting. It's more scooby doo that way??? If it makes sense.

Also I want the song on youtube that plays in Shogun Studios main area post the blue ribbon, it's so good and makes me think of Goemon games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Electric Phantasm posted:

This reminds of the concept art from Color Splash where at some point in development the rock, paper, scissors guy was the same type of ghost as Doopliss from TTYD.

If you go back and look at it they're all Toads in Color Splash, it's just they had to keep making it more obvious it was a Toad until they said gently caress it it's some rear end in a top hat with a dumb hat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm very thankful that the Ice Dungeon is short.

A small blessing.

Araxxor posted:

I love that there's multiple battle themes now. Liked what I heard of the sea battle theme.

Also wow, wasn't expecting that from a Paper Mario game, let alone a modern one. Rest in peace Bobby. :smith:

Character Spoilers

Go back and get your photo taken in Shogun Studios. :unsmith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah didn't someone mention a while back that you could permanently upgrade your stats with coins? Is that actually a thing, because I just beat the Water Vellumental and I've seen nothing like that in the game so far.

They were mistaking accessories for stat ups. Getting heart containers levels up your strength though for what that's worth.

Also finished the purple streamer and uh... what the hell happened there devs? Did they figure not enough people played color splash so they just reused entire areas and songs? The pirate chant for captain T.Ode isn't even a remix of the chant from Color Splash, the skull head island is where you fought Wendy and found the pirate captain in Color Splash (it even has the holes in the skull you punch out) and the Fan Thing even gets reused for a third time.

It's so bizarre because I was expecting maybe it was just a reference, like Port Prisma would get namedropped as being nearby but nope- it's just recycle'd settings.

It's not that major though, just strange.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The green streamer boss probably has a easier way of doing it but holy poo poo is it tense. Spoilers for the stuff around it but the cut out soldiers genuinely creeped me the hell out and I kinda loved it. For whatever reason they made me think of TTYD's shadow queen with how unnatural they are when moving and them just being so tall and jerky.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it possible to be both satisfied and let down by a finale to a game.

Endgame/Final Boss spoilers
It dropped all the creepy cutout soldiers right away which I guess was just Scissors doing. Never explained what the deal with the 1,000fold arms was either and the final boss being random gimmicks was... certainly a choice. I had fun but it felt like such a departure from the rest of the game that I was kind of waiting for one last ring boss fight that never came.

Then it pulled a Sticker Star for a third time in a goddamn row where it kills off the partner character and honestly I'm just sick of it at this point. I like Olivia a lot but they already killed Kirsti. They killed Huey. Stop introducing these side characters then killing them in the finale.

I really liked it, Origami Bowser was insanely adorable and gimmicks were fine- it's just kinda hard to describe how I feel when it literally ends with a QTE battle.

Good game, stumbles at the ending but aside from my minor gripes I'm completely satisfied.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stuff gets INSANELY expensive in the green streamer area and a lot of big trophies need like 20k to afford so if you want to collect everything you gotta keep that in mind.

That said in the final dungeon I started avoiding encounters because 'there's no more shops here and I wanna see what the final boss and ending is'. I still got into a number of fights anyway though- the music is absolutely incredible for the entire last 'chapter'. Like it's the first time I wanted to see who composed it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paper Mario 64 is in this odd place where I keep thinking 'was it really as good as I remember', debating it in my head a good deal, then deciding 'yeah probably.'

I really could use another play through of it because it really does have a lot of charm even in memories, but I'm not sure how much of that is carried by the art style and unique designs.

E: Btw there's a achievement in this game and a special message you get if you beat the entire thing without equipping any accessories. Just wanted to let you know that to drive you crazy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waltzing Along posted:

I like this game.

I keep getting toad bells going off with nothing around. I'm guessing I will pick up some more skills/items that will help later on.

You don't

Some Toads are just really, really devious or don't become available until chapter clear. The worst is the yellow streamer area as the yellow zombie toads will make it go off every time you see one but you can't do anything until that region is done.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just a heads up there's a 100% ending if you get absolutely everything.

I'm not sure how many people will care but it's a added incentive to do battles and get coins so you can buy those hefty priced models.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite puzzles are the ones that I spend hundreds of coins on for more time, try every possible solution I can think up then just say 'gently caress it' and just botch the whole thing to move on.

Then realize the next time I see it I just had to scoot a line over to the left and I somehow didn't try the most basic thing available to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey, honest tip if puzzles are too hard. Go to the battle lab. Not sure when he starts giving it away but on my second visit he gave me a solution finder thing. It doesn't solve the puzzles for you, but if you turn it on in the options menu it'll tell you during fights if you're aiming for a 2x2 or a line, and give you a general idea of where you want things to end up.

I found it in the post game but you can (apparently) get it pretty early

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LeafyOrb posted:

I honestly wish they had gone all in on the boss battle system those are way more fun and have interesting strategic elements the regular battles lack.

It doesn’t help that the regular battles get repetitive quickly. I’m already at the point where I actively avoid them and only mid blue streamer.

For what it's worth Yellow streamer battles start introducing enemies with slightly different gimmicks that make things a little more obtuse

Purple I don't even remember doing normal fights

Green goes batshit with all the new stuff it throws at you and became the 'toss 200 coins at toads please show me the first step what is going on'

Second half of green and to the end of the game was just 'okay this is actually hard'

Honestly I think this game has the potential to be the hardest in the series if there was a way to make it so the toads didn't top you off for throwing them a single coin. Mentioned it before but it's way to easy to go "okay I need help with a puzzle show me the first step" and they negate several turns worth of damage just for hitting cheer. I only used mushrooms on the overworld and in one boss fight that I think was more endurance than anything because of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Double posting due to story spoilers here but reflecting on it, the stuff right after Green Streamer is really weird.

Bobby is a good character, you get attached to him and when he pulls out his friends fuse and kills himself it's heartbreaking. Bob-ombs having short lives is supposed to be normal but it clearly fucks with Mario and Olivia a lot. I joked to myself that 'man playing mario maker where I kill them just to set something off is gonna be a lot different feeling now."
When you get the airship and all the bob-ombs come out and get labeled as "bobby" because Olivia is dumb I kinda scoffed... only to man the guns and just rapid fire them out of a canon genociding a entire squadron of them. Like I could just fire bob-ombs into nothing just to kill one of them. When the game makes a big deal out of them being hard dead from it, having a minigame where you kill a bunch for fun seems weirdly tone deaf. Couldn't they of just like, used bullet bills or something??

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The thing about the ring system that hurt the absolute most, and I'm genuinely really upset about is the stuff in the Green Streamer's second half

They litter paper enemies onto the battleground that you have to avoid striking and I think that's a fun challenge! Then there's the genuinely creepy as gently caress cut-out soldiers that have their own curling mechanic and whatnot. But they each last like 5 minutes and then those enemy types/concepts never get used again. I still don't understand the child cut outs because I didn't have any time to really learn how to use the rings to unfold them.
Also man their attack just being a little baby kick is kind of a let down for how spooky they are :v: least the super lanky creep rear end ones spook the poo poo out of you if they get to attack.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khanstant posted:

It cracks me up to see coin totals so high. Do things cost a ton of coins or do they just give you a bunch with nothing to ever spend em on and it piles up?

Equipment winds up being like 10-15k by the end of it, some trophies cost 20k, the Princess Peach trophy alone is 70k

E: I have no idea how you get that rich that early in the game though :stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Up to 50% off

Good luck remembering to equip it though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Curious to see how people are liking the game so watched a few different streamers here or there. It's fun seeing a lot of opinions, what hits with people and what doesn't. Iateyourpie, a 64 speedrunner saying it's just as good as TTYD really surprised me for example.

Boy when you find some obvious stans of TTYD is it annoying though. Scottfalco and one or two others will not take a single moment to remind you it's not TTYD and it's not good and 'all the games are getting worse and you have bad taste otherwise.' I really hope as the series continues folks like them drop out more and more :shrug:

I'm curious to what the thread thinks of the purple streamer though. I kinda enjoyed that area but it seems to be under a LOT of fire from others that actually enjoyed the game so I feel like I'm odd man out here :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in the camp that thinks SPM and SS should hang out and be a happy couple together

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super Paper Mario to me is a game that I actually hate. The physics in it feel terrible, the levels and bosses aren't fun to play at all and it's the usual stuff people talk about, hell I probably already did before.

I find it weird that people poo poo on sticker star for having a world map but happily ignore the fact that SPM is just a straight line with level selects and it's played completely straight. Flipside and Flopside just suck complete rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eh I'd be super generous to say they had abilities when it's just

Bobby - Is he sleeping? He will fail. Is he awake and lounging? He'll do 20 damage to something still alive
Toad - Can sometimes clear a row if he digs up coins. Sometimes whiffs
Kamek - Can sometimes clear a row. Messes up if he pulls out a broom instead of his wand
Bowser - Clears a row, but if a enemy withstands fire damage he's not as effective

They all kind of do the same thing.