Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

LiefKatano posted:

I mean, I would hope the game devs would think that the gameplay of their game is fun and you wouldn't want to spend your time actively avoiding it.

There is a quote from Tanabe about Color Splash where he said he didn't consider battles the main gameplay, and were just hurdles to get by in-between it. So at least for that game it sounds like they were supposed to be an annoyance that broke up everything else. If there are way more mandatory fights that presumably isn't what they're going for in this game though, at least hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The major bosses are also fought differently from regular enemies too. I could see that causing a feedback loop where you stop fighting mobs if they don't train you for bosses, and gain less experience actually fighting mobs as a result to the point they become more difficult than they'd be ordinarily.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We've known about that since Sticker Star, but since then there have also been games like Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 that seem to be able to do their own thing way more. I'm not sure it's as simple as the higher-ups being really anal about Paper Mario's setting more-so than a main Mario killer app title.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The weirdest argument I've seen is that this game has completely unoriginal bosses because "seriously a boss is colored pencils?" but like...

Name one other game where you fight a case of colored pencils or a tape dispenser.

They've had at least two games before this that went full-boar with Paper Mario meaning 'the whole setting is literally paper', so I think in that context just having major villains be things you use with paper in the real world is kind of unoriginal, especially when the main villain's gimmick feels more thought out and clever, at least to me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I forget, did Sticker Star do that as well? It might be a story beat they're attached to for whatever reason.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember an interview with AlphaDream about Dream Team that had them mentioning some disagreements between them and Nintendo. It came out around the same time as Sticker Star so the mandate may be one of the things they disagreed on. The only new Mario and Luigi that came out after that was Paper Jam and that actually had nothing that wouldn't also appear in mainline Mario if I remember right.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kamek was in Super Mario RPG, so I'd find it a bit strange if they outright couldn't use him in Paper Mario since that was first conceived as a sequel.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
SPM gets points from me in hindsight for being different from the previous two wholesale, as opposed to keeping weird vestiges of RPG stuff when the developers themselves don't call it an RPG. On its own it is totally a mixed bag though, and you can snap it in two with hardly any effort.

Bleck posted:

that wasn't Kamek that was a different Magikoopa

He has a weird name in the original but both his Psycho quotes reference Yoshi's Island, unless they also made their own version of Kamek I think it is meant to be him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's no port of that game on either of those, or anything really, so your options are paying out the nose for a used copy or going for the grayer solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There was also a whole world being wiped from existence, after which you wandered through the white void of nothing where it used to be in Super Paper Mario.