Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I want to like this and expect to like this because Color splash ruled.

Wouldn't mind TTYD-style Paper Mario again if they don't bring back a dozen hours of backtracking and "lol we're wasting your time" jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I think Paper Mario as a franchise is the first one with such a lovely whiny fanbase that it made me hate it's older games in retrospect because of how lovely TTYD and 64 stans are. I can't appreciate them anymore because I hate that part of the fanbase so much for being so insanely bratty.
I made a silly multilingual pun on twitter about TTYD being long, and got a Gamer Rant in about how I'm an illiterate child. I don't know where they came from and how they found me, but I'm glad my boyfriend pointed it out because I was blocked immediately and wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Twitter's cool.

That said, I do hope EVEN if most NPCs are toads, they at least had the time to use Color Splash's concepts. Those were great, very Toad Town-like, and I'm guessing devs didn't have enough time to put them in. As much as I love that game, that criticism is a valid one and "You meet a mysterious sage! (he's just a yellow toad)" just doesn't really work.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
The thing that bothers me about it is that I'm sure 90% of people who whine about Paper Mario haven't played Color Splash. You NEED to fight in that game. And also fights rule, and I love how they made action commands so much better. Faster, with raised skill ceiling.
Like yeah it's not your "exp give level", but neither is old Paper Mario, where RPG system is extremely simplistic and also gives you an insignificant upgrade.

This discussion is a bit depressing, but I've not seen any previews of OK to actually talk about it. God I hope it's great. Treehouse localizations only seem to get better, because holy poo poo by now the games rival MOTHER in terms of funny writing.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Not watching any previews, so happy to hear people think it looks alright. And with Nintendo, I totally believe it will be. They're usually super honest in their previews and trailers, so when the game looks bad or is boring, they don't usually hide it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Regarding the concern of lack of incentive and progression from battles, it seems like they might have actually addressed that this time around according to leaked copies of the game.

Coins can be used to permanently upgrade your stats. Why they didn't reveal this in marketing is beyond me.

That’s super cool! Having exploration, minigames and battles all matter is a great idea

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

I'd agree with this. If absolutely nothing else, there's way bigger problems with Color Splash (imo) than not having an EXP system (besides Hammer Scraps but... how much did that even affect things? I'm genuinely curious).

Quite a bit. It's effectively just your strength upgrades and if you're incredibly underleveled, you're doing barely any damage. I had issues with Bowser on myfirst playthrough and two levels really helped there.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

Wait, do hammer scrap levels actually upgrade the damage you deal or is it just more paint -> able to paint more cards, especially in long fights -> higher damage because your cards are painted more?

Yeah, it's just ability to paint better and more.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Alright, so how do people who like Color Splash finding it so far? Is it still funny and non-backtracky, at least?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Good to hear that people are enjoying it! I'll only get it tomorrow, and wanted to make sure. Nintendo's previews are usually super honest, but I've not watched anything except for the original trailer, so I wouldn't be able to tell.
Comparing battle system to Tetris is something I'm super interested in. I'm not the biggest RPG fan, so I'll see what those do for me.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Alright, now I'm loving excited.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Really dont understand why people keep lumping ss and cs together as "the bad games" when cs is so much better than ss it's not even funny

Similar gimmicks. That's it. I remember when CS was announced, people even here just said "Sticker Star 2" and moved away. Never really understood that. Even if it was just that, sequels can dramatically improve on the originals. I quite dislike Mario 3D Land, but 3D World is probably my favorite Mario platformer.

Speaking of those games, does the OK have "open world" or a map?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spellman posted:

The worst thing they did in Paper Mario was abandon badges. I can imagine how wild they could've gotten if they carried into newer games

That's the only thing I'll agree on when it comes to complaits about new games. I loved just levelling up BP and equipping a ton of weird poo poo. This is also why I don't mourn the loss of exp, since it was barely an RPG system, with most depth of choice actually coming from badge points.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finally i got the game!
Paper loving mario!!!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Got to Toad Town. As in, I was right about to enter it, saw the background and decided to save. So far, I really like it! It was a bit slower to start than Color Splash, but by the time Toads appeared, the pace picked up.
The whole Toad collecting aspect is something neat. Color Splash hid them in some clever places, but since they were all mandatory, those places were usually pretty easy. Dunno what they give me other than the crowd thing, but it's a neat idea for a secret collectible.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jesus Christ this game is just a joy to look at

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished the Red Streamer, and man, the bosses in this game rule!
Gameplay-wise they're super neat and interesting. I remember reading the spoiler that most of them are normal objects, like pencils, but that first major boss had so much personality, it's not an issue.
Really happy to see the accessory mechanic, wonder what choices I'll have down the line.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Araxxor posted:

I love that there's multiple battle themes now. Liked what I heard of the sea battle theme.

I'm so loving happy about that. One thing I never understood about RPGs is that they just keep tormenting you with one theme, often in games that are 50+ hours long. Original MOTHER had plenty, and sequels (on SNES and loving GBA of all things) had almost a hundred combined!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think someone earlier mentioned Ninji House having too many battles? I'm guessing it's about the floor panel room, and in that case I have a tip: get enemies to run after you. Attacking enemies one-by-one results in simple battles, but having them gang up on you (I had 3 battles in the said room, against one, and then, I think a group of 4 and 5 enemies) gives you a wave battle, which have a high chance of containing a circle. A sort-of high-risk/high-reward mechanic, where the reward seems to be time more than anything else.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, the first time I heard it I was a bit worried since they made Thing jokes since Sticker Star, and while they were sometimes fun, I wasn't looking to yet another "3d real-life object" thing, but having beaten two Streamer bosses, holy gently caress they're great

Also
BIG BAND TCHAIKOVSKY REMIX HELL YES

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Feel like in 10-15 years we're gonna get a lot of kids talking how this game traumatized them. Jesus.
rip bobby
Also, the desert is loving fantastic so far. Town is a complete sensory overload!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I usually dislike desert levels a lot, but this game managed to make it huge and super pretty.
Man, this game is so good. I don't wanna play it when my bf's not home because he's also super into it, so I just keep looking for Toads and doing stuff, and it's all super neat! Also I keep coming back to the first area and checking in on that one house to see if Toad came back.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jesus christ the sea chapter is loving incredible so far

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, I was not sold on it during the Red Streamer, too. It was good, but not special, really. I was also confused as to why they removed the level map. People like to say that it's another one of those things that made SS/CS bad, but in reality it's just extremely useful. The game's just a bunch of locations anyways, so I don't really care whether they're connected via walking off screen or a cute map. Now I definitely see it, considering last two chapters were fairly open. Discovering a new island and unlocking the ability to teleport to it via the map wouldn't have the same charm.

Also one thing that chapters after Red do right is they have a bunch of towns. Makes the game feel more alive, and interactions with enemies make it quite unique. I was worried that the town in the desert would change drastically after the boss, and I'm glad to see that NPCs just manage to live with each other. It's super cute. Making up a new threat allowed them to focus on enemies a bit more, and holy gently caress that paid out. Never thought I'd say that I'm a Snifit fan yet here we are.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Never thought I'd give a poo poo about Kamek or Bowser Jr.
This game is so charming, it's insane.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Holy poo poo the ending of Green Streamer has some literal horror poo poo.
Like, get rid of a few funny animations and wacky battle theme and those cutout soldiers would be straight-up TERRIFYING

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished the game last night, and yeah, going to agree with everyone saying that the ending could be better. Final boss is enjoyable, even if a bit easy, but Olivia once again doing the cliche Nintendo "partner scarifices self/goes away forever" is loving dumb. She was a super cool and cute character, and unlike Huey, her self-sacrifice didn't even make sense, it was just dumb. "Yeah burn all this poo poo and kill me too I guess"
Still, best Paper Mario hands down. Would love to see the series evolve, and maybe even unfuck itself so that we can have a bit more variety. You clearly see that the devs were trying so hard with Bobby, too! I'm guessing his real name being Bob-Omb is related to all the bullshit going on with OCs.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've basically finished running through location and collecting everything in them, except for some Trophies and Boss rematches, but can anyone give me some help?
I feel like I'm overthinking this, but I STILL can't go into the house in the first area. House keeps saying there's a Toad somewhere, and I assume it's the campfire one, because that one even gives me a prompt to use an item? I've even caught legendary Cheep Cheep and Blooper, hoping those would be used there, but nope.

Super Paper Mario's best achievement is giving us literal "Mario goes to hell" chapter. Shame about pretty bland level design, and, again, all the backtracking.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Araxxor posted:

There's something in the ocean you missed. Try talking to the a Shy Guy on a random rock outcropping.

Will do, thanks! Still missing one collectible in there anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

Origami King feels like there is very little filler. I wanted the game to be longer because I enjoyed it so much, but that is how you get things like TTYD's Chapter 4 and 5 backtracking and pre-Chapter 7's search for that Bob-omb.

I was so surprised that even in moments where it really feels like the game would want you to backtrack, it didn't do it. really thought Chapter 3's dungeon was hiding discs because I needed to exit it and get back to the town.
Also the location design is just incredible overall. Way more open locations, all of which look loving gorgeous.