Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I beat the red streamer chapter and uh I think I actually really like this game?
It’s possible that I’ll get sick of these ring puzzles later on but otherwise it’s incredibly fun and charming and the inventory management that I hated so much in Color Splash and Sticker Star has been almost entirely stripped out. There’s no level select screen, the world feels connected and alive. The boss fights are actually really cool and engaging for the first time in what feels like forever. It’s getting a lot of things right in my book.

Also the toad-hunting is seriously addictive.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just wish they didn’t still have that dumb “no altering the character designs” rule hanging over their heads. Like, at least make Bobby blue or something.

Odyssey lets you turn Mario into a goddamn skeleton, why can’t we have a bob-omb with a mustache

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's nowhere near as big a deal in this as it was in the last two games but it's still something that's just really baffling to me and feels like one of those things where it's motivated entirely by insane marketing mumbo-jumbo. Like how Disney has a staunch rule against something like Disney Infinity or Kingdom Hearts letting Hercules go to the Aladdin world.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Justin_Brett posted:

I remember an interview with AlphaDream about Dream Team that had them mentioning some disagreements between them and Nintendo. It came out around the same time as Sticker Star so the mandate may be one of the things they disagreed on. The only new Mario and Luigi that came out after that was Paper Jam and that actually had nothing that wouldn't also appear in mainline Mario if I remember right.

the director of OK said in an interview that since Sticker Star they “couldn’t” modify existing designs in the Mario universe anymore, if they make an original character they have to be a completely separate thing, like with Olivia and Oliver. It’s definitely something Nintendo has imposed on them and it really seems like they’ve been straining against Nintendo’s various restrictions trying to make the kind of games they want to make.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

post-yellow streamer
I liked the desert better without any sun :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

2). I wish the battle system had a little more transparency. If you're gonna do the turn-based battle thing, at least let me have an idea of what my attack stat is, or what the HP for enemies are, or how much each of the boots/hammers powers me up. Otherwise it's sort of trial and error, and there are some cases where you're really not getting enough battles in to actually figure those things out. literally the only stat you actually see in the game is HP, all of the other increases are just "this is more powerful" or "this is the most powerful" or "you're growing in power".

This is something that irritated me in Color Splash too. It’s a bit better here since there are at least damage numbers when you do an attack, but it still feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out what it will take to kill an enemy. Certain enemies seemingly just refuse to die no matter what I throw at them. It’s also hard to get a sense for how much damage each item does because the numbers are bigger than they were in the old games and there are a bunch of different variables. You have the base damage, plus a boost based on Mario’s current “level” (based on hitting certain HP thresholds), plus multiples levels of success from Action Commands (Nice, Great, or Excellent) that add different amounts of damage, then a 1.5x multiplier for solving a tile puzzle. And on top of all that you also can’t see the HP of the enemies you’re attacking.

I still don’t understand how exactly this system is supposed to be more casual friendly than the simple RPG gameplay from the first two games that mostly used clear, single-digit numbers. It makes zero sense to me. I’ve been playing video games for twenty-odd years and even I often find the standard encounters in this game to be confusing and frustrating.

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 26, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s good that you can still win a battle after failing the sliding puzzle, you just won’t be able to win it perfectly. What annoys me is when I solve a difficult puzzle perfectly but then the game is like “oh your shiny jump left the enemy alive with like 1 hp remaining, why didn’t you know to use the flash jump you imbecile, you absolute loving moron”

meanwhile the enemy looks like this

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 26, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Your partners did have abilities in battle, though? They could attack, some better than others. The accessory that increased their damage was pretty great.

I think they mean more along the lines of being able to actually control them and do different things with them. All the partners really do in Origami King is after your turn is over if enemies are left over they'll do a simple follow-up attack to hopefully mop up any stragglers. It's helpful, sure, but not all that interesting. There's not even any action commands for them, it's just random whether their attack fails or not.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

while I mostly like the bosses they sometimes throw in these really annoying curveball gotcha moments that piss me off.
like, once the phoenix boss is left vulnerable to 1,000-fold Arms your first instinct is to immediately grab that and beat the poo poo out of him before your window closes, right? But if you do that, the boss survives the attack and then heals himself all the way back to full, gently caress you, start over. The arms need to be the final hit or else they don't work. There's no indication of this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My boyfriend mentioned this and I had no idea because apparently I was loving around enough on that fight to never try to ARMS until it was near death. Glad I didn't experience that. Do none of the hint envelopes mention this either?

I don't know but even if they do it's still pretty dickish design to have the boss just screw you over if you're not making a beeline for the hint envelopes at every single stage of the fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbh I like Origami King a lot but don’t see myself replaying it any time soon. it’s just really easy to get burnt out on the battle system. if the combat were like the first two games it’d be one of the best in the series

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bleck posted:

"if the combat were more of a slog I'd like it a lot more"

the average random encounter in origami king is at least twice as long as the average random encounter in the first two paper mario games, every problem only has one correct solution, there is no customization whatsoever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

That's definitely not true

Don't disagree about them feeling more repetitive, but they are so, so short

the timer to clear a puzzle is over a minute long and I regularly run out of time in battles

Bleck posted:

yeah but actually finding the solution uses some of my brain's horsepower, instead of a system that gives me one hundred different toys that are all functionally as effective as each other

it's tedious and annoying and hurts my eyes to look at

I was okay with it for like the first two chapters but I'm so sick of these stupid tile puzzles now.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 29, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't see how you could look at an elegant and simple turn-based system with tons of options and customization and a system where every battle hinges on clearing a convoluted tile-sliding system and think "these are basically the same thing"

ImpAtom posted:

OK has action commands too.

but they are much less varied than in the earlier games
you don't even pull back on the analog stick to use the hammer, even that much variation was too much

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Since like Chapter 3 the puzzles just feel like they've been getting way too visually confusing and obtuse for me. It's like a 50/50 chance when I hit an enemy whether I'll get a baby-easy puzzle that I've already solved a hundred times or some unholy vomit of 20 enemies scattered everywhere. I get that the game has to have a difficulty curve but I guess it just shows I never really liked this combat system to begin with, I just tolerated it because it was easy enough in the early levels that it didn't bother me that much. I love everything surrounding the combat, I even like the boss battles, but as soon as I get into a battle I just feel resigned. I miss how elegantly simple and satisfying battles were in the first two games and how the mechanical depth was there for people who wanted to pursue it.

I guess I'm not allowed to feel that way though or else people will jump down my throat for being a TTYD fanboy.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 29, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bleck posted:

I'm not disagreeing - I'm only disagreeing with the idea that the system where you can basically just do whatever you want and win and nothing matters has more "depth" because you can make Mario wear Luigi's clothes or whatever

different tools that accomplish the same thing (winning a battle) but more efficiently.

outside of boss battles in origami king it is functionally impossible to die because you have an endless supply of mushrooms and multiple actions per turn, and you can also use coins to solve the puzzles instantly. so you can do anything you want and win and nothing matters. the incentive to actually solve the puzzles is because it is more efficient.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 29, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bleck posted:

the incentive to solving the puzzle is that I like solving puzzles

I'm sorry that you're bad at puzzles but it doesn't mean this game is bad, sorry

the incentive to win a traditional turn-based battle is that I like turn-based battles. just because you suck at them doesn't mean they were bad, sorry.

can you stop being a defensive weirdo about the fact that some people don't like this combat system or do you strongly feel like you need to outdo the people who were too weird about not liking Sticker Star and Color Splash?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I guess I'm just too much of a casual to play paper mario, a game for hardcore gamers only

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah they mentioned this in an interview. It’s hard to visualize what the Origami would need to look like and how they would fold and unfold without any physical reference so that’s what they did. It’s pretty cool.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I whacked the telescope without thinking and missed the visual gag :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that ending sucked
the final boss was a wet fart and then it did the exact same ending with the partner sacrificing themselves as the last two games lol, it felt so forced

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know Super Mario basically followed the exact same rules. It had child and old toads and Boshi, but apart from that none of the toads or goombas were really unique. All the weird enemies and characters were completely new and alien.

The Mario and Luigi games basically have the same rules too. They're in different kingdoms with different characters, and the ones in the mushroom kingdom don't have any special kinds of toads or koopa troopas.

I mean part of what made Thousand Year Door and Superstar Saga really stand out to me is that they took place ENTIRELY outside of the Mushroom Kingdom, in places that played by different rules and had their own unique feel to them. Rogueport was a wretched hive of scum and villainry and Beanbean Kingdom was just an insane land filled with weirdos.

Something else I liked about the Mario and Luigi series was that its original characters weren't treated as completely disposable. Fawful appeared in three different games and got a major role in two of them. Starlow also got to appear in 3 games (She didn't just suddenly turn around at the end of BiS and suddenly go "I must go now, my planet needs me" and then die) and even the Shroobs got a small appearance in Bowser's Inside Story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the biggest plot twist in the game is that Bowser is actually a good dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As someone who was bashing their head in vain against half the puzzles from Chapter 3 onwards, I'm surprised people struggled with the last puzzle against the final boss. You just slide the colors so that they all line up together, and then rotate the whole image so that it's right-side up. I actually thought it was really easy.