Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I never got to play Color Splash due to not owning a WiiU. I'm very much enjoying OK though. I'm a huge fan of exploration so this game is hitting the right notes with areas being large and involved plus having five million toads all around to find. I'm enjoying the more puzzley battle system too though I will echo the popular sentiment that there's needs to be some actual incentive to getting into fights. If they'd went a step or two further with injecting more RPG elements back into the series it would be baller. Even still I'm not too fussed.

Also the Red Streamer boss theme loving slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Game is good though not without some small flaws.

Just don't go looking around for opinions from Paper Mario fans because hoo boy the fanbase is as much a garbage fire as it's always been.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It really does suck that Nintendo started being super restrictive on the amount of creative license they can have with character designs. Intellectual property can be super loving weird though. The mobile game FF Brave Exvius ran into similar issues when they tried to make a unique tonberry character and Square nearly slayed their asses for it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Goddamn the music in Snifit City goes in.

This game's world is just so great.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah you can tell this game was made with a lot of love and fun. It's just so charming in every corner. Was just watching my boyfriend play a little and I only just noticed that the full name of the boss VR machine shortens to BAMF. It's the best that they managed to sneak that one in.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The weirdest argument I've seen is that this game has completely unoriginal bosses because "seriously a boss is colored pencils?" but like...

Name one other game where you fight a case of colored pencils or a tape dispenser.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I played Sticker Star a pretty good ways in. I cannot for the life of me remember anything that actually happens in that game. Or any of the places you visit. That game is just a blank spot in my memory.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

A lot of the original Paper Mario chapters are pretty barebones but it does have some amazing high points like Boo's Mansion, Crystal Palace, Bowser's Castle, and the final boss.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So the entirety of the purple streamer chapter was intentionally a giant homage to Wind Waker right? Like there's no way it isn't it's so perfectly set up.

Also man this game just doesn't stop charming me with all these gorgeous environments and the silly writing. It's been long enough to say I love this game now right?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Some of the groups look so deceptively simple and then I feel so stupid when I can't figure them out.

See Also: All the Shy Guys Finish Last mini games where I know the answer but can't get the ring right like a moron. This game trolls me and I love it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The only problem I'd see with that route is making random encounters take way too long, even if they found a way to simplify the ring down for it. I do agree though, the boss fights are absolutely the best highlights of the battle system and everytime I fight a new boss I'm entertained how how they gently caress with the board and force me to adapt.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well the Green Streamer boss certainly wasn't kidding about ending your existence if you break the cover. Naturally the absolute first thing I did was make a path into a 1000-Fold Arms circle and immediately break the cover. I got my due recompense for that alright.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It has a slow start for sure. I think "Chapter 1" (The Red Streamer), while still pretty good, is definitely the weakest part of the game. It only gets better from there really. I think Chapter 3 might be my favorite part of the whole series to be honest, it's so good.

Both versions of the Shroom City music loving slap.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SilentChaz posted:

In Bowser's Castle, not being able to save between the fight with the Paper Macho Buzzy Beetle and Scissors is some grade-A bullshit. Also, gently caress the green streamer boss, as I died against them multiple times last night before giving up.

After I ate it to scissors a few times the buzzy beetle dropped a save point for me to use. The scene only transitions once you walk over to Kamek's face.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Amppelix posted:

finished it, what a good drat game

i'm so glad there's a paper mario that's just loving good instead of good with several asterisks again.

:yeah:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Intellectual property is a weird business and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a legitimate legal reason Nintendo ended up getting super strict on designs and character use after TTYD. Like others have said it's unfortunate but I don't think it detracts too much for this game since you still get a huge variety of characters and stuff.

Also all the toads looking the same is basically a plot point in the most hilarious way possible.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

One thing that pops into my head is how they made unique songs for Sweetpaper Valley and and the mines that you'll only realistically hear for a few minutes tops before you get into the Yellow Streamer area.

They hit a lot of variety with the music styles too. Each area has it's own distinct sound in all the music tracks. I also love how hard the guitar goes in on some of the fight themes.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 25, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The villains routinely had spooky dark silhouette meetings in the first Kingdom Hearts game. But they weren't ever shown outside their own worlds usually. Minus like Maleficent because she's Queen Bitch and doesn't play by the rules.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Phenotype posted:

What is the deal with this? They're not allowed to have a Bob-omb with a mustache?

Sometime after TTYD & Super Paper Mario Nintendo cracked down really hard on the IP usage of Mario stuff. Since the Paper Mario series is done by Intelligent Studios as an external thing it means they are tied back pretty significantly on what they can do design wise. This is why I always kind of roll my eyes at the people that make the argument of "but they made all these cool unique designs in Super Mario Odyssey!!!". Yeah, cause that was an internally developed first party game.

EDIT: Intellectual Property is a really bizarre legal realm. If you're too loose with it you end up with situations like Ken Penders getting the rights to Echidna OCs out of a lawsuit he filed on Sega.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 25, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

AlphaDream was allowed to make a whole bunch of new characters though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since it's been awhile and there are a number of Mario & Luigi games I haven't played, but were any of the new characters of existing Mario species? I remember Superstar Saga took place in a completely different kingdom and I don't think you really saw any existing mainstays in the region. My memories are fuzzy with Partners in Time but I don't recall any non-generic looking Toads or Goombas or etc. Haven't played the other games. Nintendo's strictness seems to be mostly limiting their ability to make toads or goombas look too much like something besides an iconic toad or goomba.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think people are that annoyed by the game not having brand new creations or anything. There's no one angry about origami king not having an equivalent to X-nauts they're mad bobby isn't wearing a hat or something to make him a bit more distinct.

Like, Origami King has a few characters with non-generic designs (especially Toads) but it was a bit more common in the first two games. I mean the first Paper Mario starts in goomba village and the family that live there all have unique designs and that's not really what you get with this game. I mean the characters in this one have just as much, if not more, personality than the older npcs but it definitely feels like either it's a creative choice to limit the unique designs or management told them to stick with mostly generics.

Yeah most of the complaints I've seen are in this vein, which is a fair complaint since the older games were definitely more liberal with character designs. That said though I think Bobby specifically looking pretty generic actually works really well with his story and character arc. He's literally a generic bob-omb, one of a million others who live short lives and just hope their one explosion is one that makes a difference. That lack of a unique design actually resonates really well with that, especially when you later run into a platoon of bob-ombs that have a lot of the same mannerisms.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

How are the later Mario & Luigi games anyways? I only ever played the first two. I remember very much enjoying Superstar Saga. Partners in Time a bit less so but it was still cool.

Also I know it's far too early to be rating this game yet because I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase but would it be outrageous to say that this easily ranks in the Top 3 of the series along with 64 and TTYD? I'd be hard pressed to actually give them a ranking order but man I'm still just over the moon with how much I've liked this title.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Honestly I'm surprised they got away with the little trio of NPCs you meet at the start of Shogun Studios.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I beat Green Streamer boss my first try but thank God I had a one up mushroom. I got it way back at the beginning of the game and forgot I even had it.

Is just listening to a podcast discussion and someone mentioned the first boss took them 45 minutes(the vellumental) and it only gets worse from there.

And I was like "How the gently caress are you playing this?"

I'm right at the end, I think the longest boss for me was the yellow streamer boss and that was like 20 minutes.

Their discussion was full of weird things like that and mentioning some of the optional enhancements and complaining the game doesn't tell you about them (the ones they mentioned were ones the game literally gives you a notification overlayed on your screen when they become available)

I remember hearing that from somewhere too and was really baffled as I was playing the game because nothing came close to being that ridiculous. I died to the Green Streamer boss a couple of times but that was the worst of it.

I mean I know this battle system is a very unique thing and there's gonna be a learning curve to figuring out how to manipulate the board but yikes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

A lot of Paper Mario fans are just kind of... fanatically zealous about how 64 & TTYD are the ~*Greatest Games Of All Time*~ and how everything else is terrible because it's not those games. They are irritating to be sure but I'm just gonna be over here enjoying this great game instead of clinging desperately to the past and overlooking a great game as a result.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Super Paper Mario was a game I played some chunk of. I remember it being really loving bizarre and having space pixel characters and that's about it. Also not having any RPG elements.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Augus posted:

while I mostly like the bosses they sometimes throw in these really annoying curveball gotcha moments that piss me off.
like, once the phoenix boss is left vulnerable to 1,000-fold Arms your first instinct is to immediately grab that and beat the poo poo out of him before your window closes, right? But if you do that, the boss survives the attack and then heals himself all the way back to full, gently caress you, start over. The arms need to be the final hit or else they don't work. There's no indication of this.

My boyfriend mentioned this and I had no idea because apparently I was loving around enough on that fight to never try to ARMS until it was near death. Glad I didn't experience that. Do none of the hint envelopes mention this either?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Maybe the idea was meant to be like "hey the arms are usually kind of sort of a finisher move and this is a phoenix and you know what phoenixes do right". Which I sort of get but by that point you've used the arms during boss fights for other purposes. Hell that's the entire method of actually defeating Rubber Band.

It's funny though because I somehow avoided this so when I beat the boss I was just like "Wait what really? The phoenix doesn't revive? That's it???"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was going to say this, the little letter hints are pretty useful.

Here’s an interesting thing I found out by being an idiot: (Green Streamer Boss)

Like an idiot I destroyed his sheath on the first turn and he immediately started his instant death attack. I managed to struggle through only loving up once (thanks 1-up shroom) and came out victorious.

When I did the rematch in the boss fighting machine I didn’t destroy his sheath and... you get Ice Vellumental panels?!?! Did I just miss them the first time or is your punishment really no ice powers? That’s kinda mean tbh the ice makes the battle way less stressful.

He'll unsheath at half HP regardless of what you do so the only thing that destroying it does is basically skip a phase. You can dodge Final Cut by jumping at the right moment and you're expected to the first time he does the attack since he's guaranteed to cut up the magic circles and On switch the first time. After that the Ice Vellumental freezes him for a turn and lets you get a free ARMS which will chunk significant HP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

More specifically: You can jump up onto the pokey as it's sinking into the sand.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1288534863323201536

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Go With The Flow is one of those songs that was very obviously written in Japanese first and trying to adapt it to English lyrics just doesn't work at all without sounding incredibly awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Mr Phillby posted:

I drat near got 100%, do I need to do the boss battle simulatior/get a perfect score on the quiz to see the extra cutscene?

Yes. Have fun with that. :negative: