Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Bleck posted:

as much as I agree with some criticisms of SS and CS, I think the reality is that how "bad" those games are for not having as many numbers going up isn't as loud an opinion as your favorite echo-chamber would lead you to believe

I'd agree with this. If absolutely nothing else, there's way bigger problems with Color Splash (imo) than not having an EXP system (besides Hammer Scraps but... how much did that even affect things? I'm genuinely curious).

Also I can't say I'd blame Nintendo for rolling EXP into coins, if only because I feel like a decent amount of games kind of have money become fairly worthless sooner rather than later. There's exceptions, sure, but...

fakeish edit: also yeah I want to confirm: are the "cash for stat boosts" for things like accessories (which were revealed pre-release) or can you actually upgrade Mario's innate stats by using coins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I mean, I would hope the game devs would think that the gameplay of their game is fun and you wouldn't want to spend your time actively avoiding it.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Vookatos posted:

Quite a bit. It's effectively just your strength upgrades and if you're incredibly underleveled, you're doing barely any damage. I had issues with Bowser on myfirst playthrough and two levels really helped there.

Wait, do hammer scrap levels actually upgrade the damage you deal or is it just more paint -> able to paint more cards, especially in long fights -> higher damage because your cards are painted more?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Spent a few hours on the game so far. I like Olivia enough so far.

Hammer still uses the Color Splash indicator so 0/10 for that alone, tbh (it's not actually that bad, at least so far).

I think one of the weirdest things to me so far, battle-system-wise, is that the amount of actions you get per turn changes with each battle. For rotating and sliding the field I can get that, but it feels weirder for the amount of actions - that might just be as a result of coming straight off of Color Splash, though, where having more actions per turn was part of the progression (roughly).

Confetti feels like it runs out really quickly, which I suppose is good if it's supposed to incentivize you to actually fight battles but when you are out of battles it's pretty annoying! That might be poor planning on my part, I am... not entirely sure. Definitely not a fan of having to press ZR more than once to fill what feels like a decent amount of areas - does holding actually help or does it just... hold?

FZeroRacer posted:

they've rereleased an old lovely combat system for the past three paper mario games, hope that helps

what is this even supposed to mean

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I think confetti's a good incentive to fight battles. Granted, I might be biased because I do want to plug the holes in the scenery up so things look nice, even if I don't have to actually do so to progress...

You can get some from scenery and the like but that feels so slow you might as well engage in some sort of puzzle solving system to make it actually feel like a good use of time.

(coins are also nice for boss battles but they're definitely way less necessary if you can plan out where you're going to end up, unlike, say, me)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Every Toad rescued gives you one Toad Point, which lets you unlock concept art.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I do enjoy the Paper Macho fights quite a bit, honestly. I don't think I'd want a game consisting of just them (or, well. I don't want this game to be just them) but I do like the on-the-field battles contrasting with the shifting puzzles.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

This isn't a question I posed to the thread but I was wondering if there was ever a point to not just spam 1000-Fold Arms in boss battles.

I got a somewhat rude answer to that question! :V

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

EXP's main worth is as a constant "reward" for engaging in battle. Money varies in usefulness (in most RPGs I feel like it's not useful at all, as it feels like you have enough excess to get whatever you need without much worry; in this one... it kinda varies?), but EXP as a general rule always gets you ever so much closer to getting bigger numbers.

Just check how many people have been saying that battles don't really feel worthwhile in this game in this thread. It's way worse on Twitter!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Does anybody know if the Legendary Hammer ever breaks, or if it does you can get more?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

oneforthevine posted:

The finale is extremely underwhelming, especially because Olivia’s sacrifice is the result of stupidity rather than nobility. Had she added literally three words (“except for me”) to her wish, she’d be fine. I don’t understand why the writers felt that made sense for her character. Huey’s sacrifice was at least a logical extension of the plot. And the final boss fight felt extremely easy, especially after the last few Stationery folks.

Still a really good game, and probably my favorite or second-favorite of the series (behind Color Splash), but the whole last act has left sort of a blah taste in my mouth.

also i could absolutely see her being too dumb to think of adding "except for me" clause.

"where did the rest of this magic circle come from?" she asks, after being with Mario as he stood on a panel containing the rest of the circle hammering his way through a sliding ice puzzle

I love her usually but none of those origami folds made it into her brain

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Yeah, the numbers are huge but they do a fairly good job at making sure that coins are meaningful.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Might be some weird flag-setting nonsense. The obstruction might be flagged to go away when you clear Shy Guys Finish Last, when it's "supposed" to go away the first time you show the pass.

I think it's kind of weird that the pass disappears from your inventory when Mario hangs on to a ton of keys and masks otherwise, but I can't anticipate it being a huge problem unless you're specifically aiming for it...? Maybe if you're caught unprepared by the fact that it's kind of a dungeon, but I can't really see that :V

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Hey, it had EXP, which is the only RPG element that matters ever.

...I'm in the "dislikes Super Paper Mario" camp. Part of it is that it's a platformer and I have the reflexes of a dying sloth, sure (though from what I played a while back I honest to god don't remember the platforming being excessively challenging).

Another part is that I really dislike the "flipping" aspects, because it feels kind of jank since it's referred to and because it's used for a lot of "perspective" puzzles that don't really work. That might just be me.

The main part, honestly, is the kind of... computer-y aesthetic that they go all in on. The Bitlands are fine, Dimentio and Bleck (and Tippi but she barely counts) are fine, Merlon is fine because he's a cool dude. But everything else feels... overly geometric, I guess? I don't like it at all, and a non-negligible amount of that is that it feels like you can take one look at something and immediately tell if it was from an old Mario game or was made specifically for Super.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I think it's neat insofar as it just shows you can't rely on the 1000-Fold Arms for everything (I was worrying that it was basically the best way to fight any given boss), though I could definitely see it as being incredibly rude. Especially since there's, afaik, not really a good indicator as to when you can safely use the arms (if it's how you have to finish it off then I guess with your normal attacks doing zero damage...? that's kind of lame though)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The hint you get is like bold and red and says “YOU CAN’T BREAK THE SHEATH YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!” so I’m not surprised they punish you so much. It’s a pretty good boss fight tbh there is only maybe one boss I didn’t like loving Handaconda, why did they have to bring back RPS??? Fight’s dumb as poo poo.

Edit: the end boss is also kind of disappointing but whatever. They clearly ran out of ideas.

Handaconda does have a tell, at least; while you're arranging the rings it'll make the appropriate hand motion for what it's gonna use. Not sure if Olivia gives you a hint about it because... I honestly forget about asking her a in battle a ton because I got too used to her generic "watch out for angry enemies!" "hint". Better than Roshambo in Color Splash, at least, where the final round was just a crapshoot in general.

Also having the hype for playing Rock Paper Scissors in the same style as normal 1000-Fold Arms is incredible.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I slid off of Paper Jam during the gauntlet before the final boss, just because every fight felt like it took forever and a day (and I have terrible reflexes, which isn't very good for the action-based Mario and Luigi system). Combine that with feeling pretty repetitive (the only reason to not use the best Bros/Trio Attack you had at the time was because the other ones were difficult to use, at least for me) and it just... wasn't a fun time.

Which is why I like the ring battle system, for the record. It's not as good as, say, Paper Mario 64's badge system in keeping things interesting, but having the little puzzles to do to complete combat was at least more interesting than just figuring out "should I jump or hammer?".

...I'd kill for more games with badge systems like that, though.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Bleck posted:

yeah but actually finding the solution uses some of my brain's horsepower, instead of a system that gives me one hundred different toys that are all functionally as effective as each other

This is exactly why I like OK's combat. When you actually get to command selection it's generic as hell, sure, but getting to it and figuring out how the hell I'm supposed to piece it together is at least engaging to me.

If you're focusing just on the command selection part then you're not really giving it a fair shake.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Optimization of efficient murder is the best puzzle of all and TOK just presents that puzzle in a different way than normal.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

how are we defining "convoluted", for the record

I won't deny there's less customization, sure (oh boy, you can equip iron boots and hurlhammers, along with variations of those and the regular boots and hammers at varying potency!) but the ring system is extremely simple. You either rotate a ring or slide it and those have really straightforward effects. Getting that to a solution where you can defeat every enemy in one turn is another question, sure, but I'm not sure I'd call the whole thing convoluted as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Araxxor posted:

mindscrapejem experimented with stuff and sussed out battle damage mechanics. Something to keep in mind for a replay or something I suppose. None of this takes defense into account. Dunno how many regular enemies make use of that, but it's absolutely in place for most bosses (especially to give most of them jump immunities, or just heavily decreasing damage.)

The general gist is that while action commands do matter, lineups and weapons matter way more, since you get the 50% damage boost from good lineups and weapon damage is boosted by that while action command damage isn't. (Or just weapon damage in boss battles.) Still important for being able to one shot certain enemies, as the difference between a great and an excellent can make or break certain encounters before you get more upgrades.

For how strong the Shiny Hurlhammer is, you get access to that way early.

Items doing set damage regardless of line-up seems like it might be noteworthy? Not sure how much 20/24 and 30/34 damage is relative to when you can use them but it might be useful for salvaging a botched puzzle more. (Of course, since enemy HP isn't displayed it's way harder to say, but...)

How bonus damage from HP is calculated is... interesting. I always thought it was +1 damage per 10 base HP, though I might not have been paying enough attention... Plus two thirds of a damage point for each heart is, uh, interesting. Checking some lists it looks like there's 14 Hearts in the game so the max damage bonus is +9 (though you'd top off the damage bonus at 13 hearts because of how it rounds).

Also I never knew there were ice and fire hammers. Huh.