Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to like this but I expect it to suck.

just make another rpg like ttyd, nintendo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people are so salty about Sticker Star and beyond because it's not at all like the games they liked. It's why I never got colour splash, at least and SS was such a letdown.

I don't go whining at people on the internet for liking the wrong games, though. I just don't see the appeal.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, that would mean thinking sticker star was fun and that bodes poorly. :v:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, I'm totally down on them ignoring the brickheads who want them to re-release an old lovely combat system,

How are you talking about paper mario

it's also insanely loving obnoxious to get elitist over people liking stuff lol

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 17, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Youtube suggested this video to me after I watched a friend stream some origami king, it seemed to have some good takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjmgnLTKKQ

Origami King so far seems Just Okay, which is at least better than SS or CS.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

Really dont understand why people keep lumping ss and cs together as "the bad games" when cs is so much better than ss it's not even funny

SS is terrible, CS is merely bad.

Just because it's better doesn't mean it's good.

I've only seen SS but I played a bit of CS and did not like it at all.

I assume most people just don't have a wii u though, it sold WAY worse than any of the other recent nintendo systems.

Appropriate enough OK seems ok but I think I'll give continue to give the series a pass unless they make something I'd like more.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah i forgot about this but it makes total sense. A lot easier to immediately dismiss a game when you've never even had a chance to try it.

It also looks pretty similar and doesn't fix any of the fundamental flaws at a glance. Didn't like the combat? It's the same. Didn't like the lack of variety in characters or settings? Doesn't look better.

Is the writing better? Maybe, but you can't tell that at a glance.

Harrow posted:

Turn-based menu combat can absolutely have depth. See: SMT

Of course I'm not exactly looking for SMT combat in my Mario RPGs but y'know

honestly I don't think SMT is that deep.

Just hit weaknesses and throw out debuffs on anything tough.

I don't hate it but I can't think of many JRPGs that are "deep".

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rock My Socks! posted:

One of the early reviews (Polygon) described the combat as “rediculously punishing”. Are ya’ll finding that to be the case?

No, that was colour splash. :haw:

I wouldn't put much stock into what polygon says.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

Color splash fixes plenty of sticker star's flaws though.

However, it does not change the fundamental one. It isn't remotely fun to play.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

I don't understand how people can see Olivia mourning the death of Mario's hat's green brother, Sweet Sap Loggins, and

and come to the conclusion that this is a bad game.

it's not fun.

I actually think the boss battles are alright but I wish random encounters were gone entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or they could make a proper paper mario RPG again, but... :smith:

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah bug fables is a really good complimentary game to play alongside the new paper Mario

eh. It's missing a lot of the polish that makes paper mario great.