Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Phssthpok posted:

Once you're happy with your Signal Multiplexer, check out this advanced labeling technique:

And add me to your steam friends for shared leaderboards: https://steamcommunity.com/id/myhf/

Now I want to return to TIS-100. I was never able to complete the Sequence Sorter within the instruction limits.

Idgi, what is happening here, won't the center always run all instructions since there's no jumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Every j that appears there is a jump instruction

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Tirranek posted:

I'm super new and really bad at Zachtronics games but I picked some up in the recent humble bundle and am having a lot of fun. Starting out with TIS-100 and have been banging my head on the Multiplexer for a good few hours due to not having enough space, only to discover that you can put labels and commands on the same line. Really should have read the manual more carefully :negative:

Learn to use the JRO command, it's really powerful and makes some levels much easier.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ooooh, it's the JRO UP, that's pretty clever

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Phssthpok posted:

Once you're happy with your Signal Multiplexer, check out this advanced labeling technique:

And add me to your steam friends for shared leaderboards: https://steamcommunity.com/id/myhf/

JRO...UP? :stare:

That looks really nice, but I'm definitely missing something with how the nodes communicate. How does MOV N, DOWN relate to the commands in the center node? (Assuming telling me doesn't make future puzzles too easy)

Also, thanks everyone for the responses! I think these games might be getting their hooks in me. I just finished the Sequence Generator after lying in bed thinking about it:

I'm sure it's clunky and has some pointless lines, but it felt pretty great seeing it work :unsmith:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tirranek posted:

JRO...UP? :stare:

That looks really nice, but I'm definitely missing something with how the nodes communicate. How does MOV N, DOWN relate to the commands in the center node? (Assuming telling me doesn't make future puzzles too easy)

Imagine if instead you had in the top node MOV N DOWN and then in the center node MOV UP ACC; JRO ACC. Does that make more sense?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Imagine if instead you had in the top node MOV N DOWN and then in the center node MOV UP ACC; JRO ACC. Does that make more sense?

Ohh, I think so. Interesting, thanks! I'll try copying it into the game to see it in action.

Edit: Holy crap, that's amazing!

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 16, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wait until you see someone solve the Signal Pattern Detector (detect the input pattern 0,0,0) with no conditional instructions at all and figure that poo poo out. In fact, it uses only two different instructions at all - MOV and JRO.

edit: I knew i still had this saved somewhere

Must be art, because i don't get it.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i'm going to die mad about that tiny sliver to the left of my score on Chaz Cheddar. i had to do some serious bullshit to get my solution as compact as it is, and i have no earthly idea how i'd shave even 1k off of this one

e: i did manage to factor out a multimixer and save 1k. still not on the leftmost sliver but at least i can hook up an animatronic now

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'm going to die mad about that tiny sliver to the left of my score on Chaz Cheddar. i had to do some serious bullshit to get my solution as compact as it is, and i have no earthly idea how i'd shave even 1k off of this one
I took a peek at the current record solution score... and it's a bit further off than 1k :v:

(for the curious: https://old.reddit.com/r/lastcallbbs/wiki/foodcourt)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
That's a great resource. I love how saving just a little bit of cost on a stage usually requires completely overhauling every part of your layout

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

There are a whole bunch of deductions that you can make, but most of them boil down to "if it was any other way it would make either a 2x2 open space, or a dead-end with no monster". And most of the rest become "if it did this then stuff wouldn't be connected".

For example, if you have a 5x2 rectangle with only two walls in it, one of those walls must in column 2, and the other one must be in column 4.
Another example, if one column is a six (meaning there are two gaps in it), and there are two different regions on the left side of it that aren't connected to each other, then one of those regions can't have both of the gaps.

Are these super-specific deductions? Yeah, they are. I've used both of them in solves, along with a bunch of other super-specific steps. Good problem solving isn't about memorizing a million possible deduction steps, it's about looking at the problem as a whole and then inventing deduction steps that will let you make forward progress.

The 7x2 w/3 walls version of this was exactly what I needed to finish The Oblivion Hoard without guessing. Thanks!

E: Now I just need to find something for The Engine of the Golemancer...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 25, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stickman posted:

E: Now I just need to find something for The Engine of the Golemancer...

That one does take a similar situation-specific deduction yeah. I'm confident you can find it though!

Like last time, you'll need to look at a pair of rows/columns together, rather than looking at rows and columns individually.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thanks, good to know that I'm on the right track :) I assume none of the D&D puzzles require bifurcation? (in the sense of necessary inference rules being more specialized than humans could reasonable handle)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think I ran into any of the main levels that required it, but it's not like I've done every single one of the shadow caverns puzzles. I'm not sure how the generator for those actually works.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Found something that might be of interest to all zachheads out there - Retro Gadgets

Seems more like a toy/tool than a game with concrete goals, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

grate deceiver posted:

Found something that might be of interest to all zachheads out there - Retro Gadgets

Seems more like a toy/tool than a game with concrete goals, but pretty cool nonetheless.

I've been playing around with that too. It's definitely more programming toolbox than game, but it has potential for sure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am finding Fortune's Foundation to be extremely difficult lol, it's hard to wrap my head around especially having played all the other solitaires right before this.

The specific rules are messing with my prior heuristics, as stacks that might look good are actually unwinnable because you can't move stacked cards, stacks go in both directions, using the free cell blocks you from melding cards off the stack lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been staring at this position for like ten minutes, unable to determine how to proceed and wondering if I've already failed after two moves lol

Does this game give you unwinnable deals? I know it happens with Klondike

Edit: oh poo poo

Edit 2: it took me one hour but whew, that's one win with every solitaire

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 9, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I notice there are steam patches for a couple Zachtronics games today that switch the queries for the histograms for puzzles from servers to local copies. I wonder if that's just because they're old games (and there's low odds of these games getting massive histogram changes at this point) or if it's future-proofing in case the zachtronic servers go down in the future.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Bobulus posted:

I notice there are steam patches for a couple Zachtronics games today that switch the queries for the histograms for puzzles from servers to local copies. I wonder if that's just because they're old games (and there's low odds of these games getting massive histogram changes at this point) or if it's future-proofing in case the zachtronic servers go down in the future.
There's a third potential reason, which is to prevent current and future players from contaminating them by cheating en masse: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1511780/view/3321989766556641571

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Why would anyone use a guide for a single player puzzle game. Literally paid for these puzzles to be able to solve them :psyduck:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Rynoto posted:

Why would anyone use a guide for a single player puzzle game. Literally paid for these puzzles to be able to solve them :psyduck:

i literally paid for the secret envelope that i'm not going to be able to open because 20th century food court is not my jam

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I've found a video that perfectly expressed what it was like to make SpaceChem videos so many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33AZBnRHks

tl;dw "My code solved the problem in a month. You guys brought that time down to, uh....under one millisecond."
I know exactly how that feels, Mr. Parker.

Original video for context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-AfhLQfb6w

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

GuavaMoment posted:

I've found a video that perfectly expressed what it was like to make SpaceChem videos so many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33AZBnRHks
And to tie it even further to the thread, one of the authors of the fastest solver mentioned is a regular on the (unofficial) Zachtronics discord server

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Got this game recently thinking I would be all about the food court but it turns out Forbidden Path is actually the best? I did all the official and bonus levels and am disappointed there isn’t any more.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
:ughh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whoops lol

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The important thing is, it works as designed

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Unless you’re deliberately adding with boring loops, I’m honestly more amazed by a solution that fits within the puzzle constraints, takes that many cycles, and still finishes than I am with yet another boring unrolled loop!

E: Which level is that?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does this game give you unwinnable deals? I know it happens with Klondike

From what I had heard, the Zachtronics solitaires select from a pre-generated huge set of deals that are guaranteed to be solvable. Congrats on the win, even though I'm over half a year late with this.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Stickman posted:

Unless you’re deliberately adding with boring loops, I’m honestly more amazed by a solution that fits within the puzzle constraints, takes that many cycles, and still finishes than I am with yet another boring unrolled loop!

E: Which level is that?

It was the early level where you hack your own arm, but I was still finding my feet with the game then. You won't see that score because I've since cut it down to 241. That solution wasn't anything interesting unfortunately, just me not knowing what I was doing at all - I basically forgot that you can use more than one EXA and also didn't realize you could just write a specific value/number directly to a register rather than modify the register's existing value. So I used ADDI/SUBI X 1 X to slowly work my way up/down every time a value was out of the required range then sent my single EXA to the port and back instead of using the M register.

I'm now kind of stuck on the level where you unlock the Redshift. But the game is very cool. I like digging through the zines for clues. Though optimizing seems a little less gratifying here than in SpaceChem or Opus Magnum because the visual aspect is not as strong.

edit: This level (hacking into the Redshift to get the SDK) feels like an insane difficulty spike. I have three problems to solve here and have been wracking my brain for the better part of two days, and have solved none of them. The bit about macro instructions in the second issue of the zine seems relevant to the first problem but I've been unable to translate that into actual working code. The par size for histograms being 50 tells me I'm clearly missing something, too. I might have to look up a hint else I risk this being the end of the road I think.

edit2: With my solution currently at 3084/50 size I have solved the first two problems. Just need to seal the deal somehow. Though even if I succeed I'm not sure I have learned the right lessons from this level. I guess we'll see.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 20, 2023

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I somehow totally missed that Zach made a physical solitaire game.

https://twitter.com/coincidenceteam/status/1675961165107838976?s=46

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I've been checking out Neon Noodles, and I'm enjoying it. Cribs a lot of stuff from Zachtronics games.

I was concerned at first when it seemed like you couldn't save multiple solutions, but it does allow for that once you get past the "tutorial" levels.

None of my Zach-likes goons appear to have scores to compare to, feel free to add me (not a hyperlink so no bots scrape me up): https://steamcommunity.com/id/ + NickPancakes

Some other recent-ish non-Zachtronics Zach-likes that might interest folks:

Infinite Turtles - I played the first big and haven't gone back yet but it seems like it gets pretty insane.

Manufactoria 2022 - Remake of an older browser game that I loved. Kinda like a 2D Infinifactory, where your main constraint is space.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Finally got off my keister to take one of the worst things I've ever made and kick it up from a top 2% solution to a top 1% solution. Behold, the lowest cost solution to purified gold

https://i.imgur.com/We4MtNS.mp4

And because I am not entirely made of hatred, I also got a top 1% speed solution

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Got a nice hand of Fortune's Foundation with all trumps played in a single move:

https://i.imgur.com/nVSRWsh.mp4

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's very nice to see this thread pop up every now and then, and it reminds me to pick up a zachtronics again every now and then as a bonus!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Do people still hear from Zach? Last I heard he wanted to become a teacher, managed it, but didn’t like it and quit?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

hyphz posted:

Do people still hear from Zach? Last I heard he wanted to become a teacher, managed it, but didn’t like it and quit?

He now has a company called coincidence games that makes physical card games. https://coincidence.games/the-lucky-seven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

As a side note for those who like Zachtronics Games Balatro very much scratches a similar itch (building engines under constraints to accomplish specific mostly predictable goals) and would be worth checking out.