Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Prime Mover is seriously interesting. PSA: Once you get to about world 3, there's a widget at the top that lets you do the same missions in a challenge mode, which has some extra constraints (like "no trash") that make obvious solutions for the original puzzle no longer work.

Also a bunch of the puzzles I just look at and go "how the hell are you supposed to do that?", which is a good thing for a puzzle game to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Can anyone who is familiar tell me how the leaderboards and friends scores work for a DRM free copy of Opus Magnum? I think my dad will love the game, but he isn't on Steam and I'd like to be able to compare our scores.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Can anyone who is familiar tell me how the leaderboards and friends scores work for a DRM free copy of Opus Magnum? I think my dad will love the game, but he isn't on Steam and I'd like to be able to compare our scores.
They don't, you only get the histograms.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

SupSuper posted:

They don't, you only get the histograms.

Figured. Ah hell. Thanks for the quick response.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Something a bit different this time around, looks like:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1320774950857236480

quote:

The year is 1983 and the United States of America must defend itself from an enemy it could have never imagined— an America from an alternate universe that will stop at nothing to seize control of the country’s heartland!

In Möbius Front ‘83 you will fight tactical, turn-based battles with the cutting-edge military hardware of the early 1980s. Use every tool available -- powerful tanks, fast-moving attack helicopters, long-ranged artillery, tenacious infantry, and more -- to control the complex and rapidly-changing battlefield of the era.

Who are the “Americans” attacking America, and why? Find out in the game’s extensive single-player campaign and its fully voiced cutscenes. When you’re ready for some R&R, play a new kind of solitaire, solve Zachtronics-style puzzles, and even read the U.S. military manuals that inspired the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
that looks cool, really curious what the game will be like!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I wonder if this is going to be more like Ironclad Tactics.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Dear Zachtronics, please make a modern version of Omega. Thank you. Love, me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I love these games and I love that Opus Magnum solutions look cool even when they're bad.

Also the old SpaceChem tournaments are legit some of the funniest things I've seen out of these forums and I have never successfully been able to describe why the magic stick is so funny to anybody else.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Guy Axlerod posted:

I wonder if this is going to be more like Ironclad Tactics.

I wondered if it was going to be like Carnage Heart

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
so hype about that programmable radio

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Captain Foo posted:

I wondered if it was going to be like Carnage Heart

Man. We need a new one of that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only Zachtronics brand game I've finished is Eliza lol (and yes it's also the one where I actually beat the solitaire too)

Time to see how I fare with this new one

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh man, I'm very excited for this. Apparently Ironclad Tactics was pretty middling, but I bet that they've learned from that, and everything else in the intervening years.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Molek-Syntez is on sale, for the first time since I've had it on my wishlist, so definitely worth the 5 bucks.

Thoughts after about 10 puzzles:

The animations are nearly as hypnotic as Opus Magnum, though not as high fidelity I rather like the 8 bit-ish graphics.

It's definitely got much more 'chemistry' fidelity than Spacechem but even then it's pretty silly.

I'm usually a 'fast' solutions guy, and this one goes against my basic instincts. In Opus Magnum, the fastest solutions I could usually come up with were to use a shitload of arms and have each of them specialize in a very small set of instructions. In Molek Syntez, a bit like SpaceChem, you have a fixed number of operators and so having each of them do everything in parallel seems like the best way to get low cycle counts? I'm sure that's not feasible for larger molecules but it seems like the basic base.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

New game out, anyone tried it yet?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Waiting for my lunchbreak to try it out.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I went and bought it. Initial impressions - it's a bit Advance Wars with hexes, with some chess-like strategy thrown in. Kinda some DNA in common with Into the Breach as well? Units have 4 pips of health, plus armor has armor. Infantry can either move 1 hex or attack, tanks can move, attack, or move and weaker attack on same turn. You need to pay a lot of attention to positioning and terrain - if you leave your units in the open and in range of the enemy, they'll immediately get wrecked. I'm only at the very beginning, but AI seems very docile - it'd maneuver near its staring deployment positions, but made no attempt to circle me or do anything too aggresive.

Haven't unlocked the radio or solitaire yet, but there's pdf manuals!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lmao, ok, I kinda take it back about the docile AI. I got to the second mission when the enemy gets their own move&attack units and it kicked my rear end immediately. It really is all about range and positioning

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

grate deceiver posted:

Lmao, ok, I kinda take it back about the docile AI. I got to the second mission when the enemy gets their own move&attack units and it kicked my rear end immediately. It really is all about range and positioning

I did ok as long as i remembered that the mission ends as soon as you take the last point (can only take one a turn)

let those dirty yankees hide in the trees

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
drat, Chapter 1 Mission 7 is hard as gently caress. The enemy got these wayy too overpowered and fast tank/everything killers and I don't know what to counter with.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Are the missions separate instances or is it a campaign that becomes harder if you don't do well in the earlier battles?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Each mission is separate, you get a set number of points at start to spend on a predefined selection of units for each mission. The campaign is just for story continuity.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Separate instances. But it becomes harder, of course.

A difference with something like Advance Wars is you start with buying your initial units in a reinforcement, phase, the you get one or two extra reinforcement phases, with their own points to spend, after a couple turns. So in some cases it's all about finding a combination that'll allow you to establish an initial beachhead while waiting for more units to arrive.

Finding the right counters is super important. Tanks in particular are brutal because their armor makes them very studry to machine guns but infantry and especially anti-tank infantry can wreck them. So far (I'm, I dunno, 7-8 missions in?) establishing a strong defensive position is absolutely the way to go, especially in maps where you have to capture objectives in a specific order. Basically, prepare an ambush around the first or second control point, keep the enemy busy there while a chopper or some other fast vehicle can drop small units at the already captured control points the AI won't leave units behind to guard. That way even if the ambush seems like a lost cause you can make a desperate grab for the next point and have a cascade effect since the enemy won't be able to go back fast enough (even though you can only capture one point per turn). That doesn't work quite as well for the maps where the objectives aren't done in sequence though.

It's probably pointless to turtle and seek to annihilate all enemy units though, going for the objective is absolutely the way to go. You just want to disrupt them enough (usually by blowing up their tanks and air support) that you can run around doing what you're actually there to do unhindered.

Infantry can ride on pretty much any vehicle although that'll likely prevent them from using their weapons if they aren't dedicated troop transports. The real powerful stuff like tank killers needs one turn to set up and clear firing lines. Artillery can fire over obstacles but tends to be weak, and even useless against armor, and imprecise, but it's great against infantry. Pretty much all the secondary abilities are much more useful than they may seem at first.

The extra docs this time around are straight up US armed forces manuals.

I'm not too far in the story but the obvious civil war subtext makes me think it's no coincidence the game's released today of all days.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 6, 2020

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

ymgve posted:

drat, Chapter 1 Mission 7 is hard as gently caress. The enemy got these wayy too overpowered and fast tank/everything killers and I don't know what to counter with.

The utility choppers can’t even fire from the air, and the loving kiowas can move 10 and shoot. I can’t even hit the goddamn thing it zips away from everything that could hit it

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just refunded Mobius Front after 40 minutes. I was expecting more puzzles but according to Zach on reddit:
"The range of the "15 to 40 hours" estimate is due to some people finding the game more challenging than others. The TIS-330 puzzle minigame is probably 30 to 60 minutes of gameplay at most. It's one of my favorite puzzles that I've designed, but it's definitely just a small part of the experience. This is a wargame first and foremost."

:(

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ymgve posted:

This is a real downer to read as someone who's failed mission 6 three times now. This game is hard

Ok, so I beat it five minutes after writing this post. The secret was to rush the hell out of them. Started with three tanks and just blitzed my way to the end

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 6, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The key to mission 7 is to bring some artillery (I brought 2 on first phase and one more later) and burrow near the west end of the road. With 2 deployed anti-tank jeeps and 2-3 truckloads of infantry in the nearby woods the enemy will mostly act like a scaredy cat (you also need to block a northern forest path with some infantry, anti-tank units are super vulnerable to infantry as long as you use woods effectively). Also bring a chopper and have it go up north to first the optional objective, and then east to the anti-air stuff (but if you get too close it'll get shot down). Since artillery can shoot pretty much anywhere on the map as long as someone can see the hex a recon chopper makes it a force of nature against anything that isn't armored.

Mission 6 is sorta the same idea IIRC, only with less attack range.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 6, 2020

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Chev posted:

The key to mission 7 is to bring some artillery (I brought 2 on first phase and one more later) and burrow near the west end of the road. With 2 deployed anti-tank jeeps and 2-3 truckloads of infantry in the nearby woods the enemy will mostly act like a scaredy cat (you also need to block a northern forest path with some infantry, anti-tank units are super vulnerable to infantry as long as you use woods effectively). Also bring a chopper and have it go up north to first the optional objective, and then east to the anti-air stuff (but if you get too close it'll get shot down). Since artillery can shoot pretty much anywhere on the map as long as someone can see the hex a recon chopper makes it a force of nature against anything that isn't armored.

Mission 6 is sorta the same idea IIRC, only with less attack range.

I beat mission 7 by having artillery at the east end and rushing with tanks. Their tanks went to hunt my artillery at first so I got a good head start before they turned around which let me move forward with a tank and kill the AA.

Didn't know there were optional objectives

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The briefing box for mission 7 tells you about the optional objective. You should pursue it, too, that's how you unlock the radio minigame.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 6, 2020

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

GotLag posted:

Just refunded Mobius Front after 40 minutes. I was expecting more puzzles but according to Zach on reddit:
"The range of the "15 to 40 hours" estimate is due to some people finding the game more challenging than others. The TIS-330 puzzle minigame is probably 30 to 60 minutes of gameplay at most. It's one of my favorite puzzles that I've designed, but it's definitely just a small part of the experience. This is a wargame first and foremost."

Yeahhhh I really don't think this is my kind of game, either. I don't think I'll refund it though (support your local game dev!). Zach gets me again! :argh:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

GotLag posted:

Kinda in the mood for a war game, so I'll give Mobius Front a shot. I'm actually pretty impressed how experimental Zach is able to be in shunting between genres and styles.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Anyone have non-spoiler tips for TIS-100? I cannot figure out how I am supposed to compare two values. I am stuck on the one where you need to output the lesser value then the larger value then finish with zero.

I just want a nudge in the right direction not a full on solution.

Also wanting to beat TIS-100 before I fire up shenzen.io but unsure, is the gameplay disparate enough they can be played independently or does shenzen feel like a sequel in terms of gameplay?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jeesis posted:

Anyone have non-spoiler tips for TIS-100? I cannot figure out how I am supposed to compare two values. I am stuck on the one where you need to output the lesser value then the larger value then finish with zero.

I just want a nudge in the right direction not a full on solution.

The conditional jump instructions (JEZ, JNZ, JGZ, JLZ) let you do different things based on the value in the accumulator. Can you think of anything that would let you meet the conditions of one of those instructions only when A is greater than B?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jeesis posted:

Also wanting to beat TIS-100 before I fire up shenzen.io but unsure, is the gameplay disparate enough they can be played independently or does shenzen feel like a sequel in terms of gameplay?

Shenzhen is so much more accessible and refined, it's a breath of fresh air after going through TIS-100. If anything, TIS-100 is the sequel in terms of difficulty.

I'm really digging TIS-330! The side missions to unlock more TIS-330 gameplay certainly are decent enough. They offend my instincts of wanting to wipe clean every map when you very specifically cannot do that and need to rush objectives, but I'm managing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm getting into Modulus Front, but at the same time it's kinda obvious that Zach is approaching the genre as an outsider. Combat is extraordinarily random, which combined with the low unit count means you can set up a great assault with solid mitigation, but the rng just decides you're just losing the mission today. Scouting is really important, but really needs to be done with infantry, which take forever to move around. Combine that with large sections of some maps being empty, and you can be crawling through some maps if you're not willing to risk a tank to a surprise ambush.

Still enjoying it, but it's no Advanced Wars.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 8, 2020

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Crossposting from the general Steam thread in the hopes they might spot this in a quieter thread:

StrongMouse your Steam account has been compromised. Go reset your password now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Taratang posted:

Crossposting from the general Steam thread in the hopes they might spot this in a quieter thread:

StrongMouse your Steam account has been compromised. Go reset your password now.

Yeah was wondering who this was but assumed they played Zach games. Fix your poo poo, get a steam authenticator on your phone, etc.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh yeah, I got a message from them too, but I just ignored it. Hopefully they're aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I played through some of my zachlike backlog this holiday, and really clicked with Exapunks to such an extent that I beat the game without even checking hints. I'm not sure if it's just easier than the other games, or if I entered some kind of highly specific zen state. For reference, Shenzhen IO has me feeling like a dunce and I'm only halfway in. I feel like there's a lot more wiggle room in Exapunks than Shenzhen, so it's easy to come up with a big awkward solution.