Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I went the fast but expensive route: two slicers, and three products are routed for cooking (each with its own oven) and one is routed for disposal. Space the conveyor belts so all products enter their ovens on the same turn and you can use one sequencer for all three easily.

As for disposal, I had one sequencer for that, that routed whether or not the product was actually there.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

EDIT: I feel like I'm missing something here. The cords threw me for a loop until I trained myself to view them as if/then statements (and realized I could buy more machines; I'd probably move that tab), but now I'm trying to program sorters and counters (Wine o' Clock) and nothing's working. This thread and the Steam forums are mostly people posting high-end solutions, so is there a trick to this I'm missing? I almost feel ashamed to ask.

I'm happy to help, but I'm not 100% sure what you need help with. Here's some vague hints that might get you started, but if you describe your confusion in more detail, I'm sure we could help more.

- New tools introduced in this chapter include the sorter and multimixer.
- The sorter has two useful abilities, only one of which we'll be using here:
a) Ability to choose three directions that an item leaves the sorter. The command to move in that direction must come while the item is on the sorter. If you send it earlier, it will just 'sort' nothing.
b) Items will sit at the sorter until you send it a direction. <- This is the feature we're using.
- If normal wires act as if/then, the regular multimixers act as OR gates (hook up multiple inputs and any of them can trigger the output), and the 'enable' multimixer acts as an AND gate (both Enable and one of the other black inputs must be 'on' for the output to fire). Both have four outputs, which lets you trigger multiple things off the same input.
- All the lessons you learned before now (timing things with a counter, using the stacker, etc) will be used, plus using the two new tools.

Here's a simple (but not optimized) solution to the problem:
- Have system output a tray and a glass under all circumstances. Arrange them so the glass is stacked on the tray. So far, exactly like the previous problems.
- Downstream of the stacker, place a sorter. Set up the wine dispenser so it fills the glass while the glass-and-tray is sitting on the sorter.
- The instructions say you need to put two 'fills' of the wine of choice in the glass to get the order correct, so the sorter being at the dispenser allows it to sit there until the wine has been dispensed two times.
- The 'white' and 'red' lights are only on for the first cycle of the run, so you won't be able to 'check' them when your glass reaches the dispenser. The system is too simple to retain that information for you. You have two options: (the first one is easier, but more expensive)
a) have a scanner pointed at the sorter so that you can re-acquire the red/white choice every turn the glass-and-tray is sitting there.
b) Use extra counters as a 'memory' for the initial red/white output. This is kind of a pain in the butt and I don't recommend it until you've solved the puzzle and want to optimize.
- Okay, so how do you have the wine get exactly two fills? Use a counter. Hook things up so that sensing the glass-and-tray at the sorter (via the scanner) increments a counter. Have the counter start at a positive number (via the Start output, probably) and count down the fills applied. When the counter reaches zero, use that to eject it from the sorter, continuing along the conveyor to the end.
- How do you get it to dispense the right wine? One option is to use the second multimixer that has the 'enable' input. So you can can have two multimixers, one that is 'glass is here AND wine is white' and the other is 'glass is here AND wine is red'.

Does that help?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 19, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

You don't have enough space to easily add control blocks for cutting up the maki, try to find a way to have all four pieces route hands off. Two cutters can do it.

You can use one big counter to use POS to enable one type of fish, and ZERO to enable the other. This is easy to initialize. Sashimi will be the only one to change the state in the middle of the run.

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

These tips really helped! I ended up using every bit of wiring real-estate I had, but this works, and decently! I feel like this could be improved, because the Nigiri and Sashimi use the same processor code, just with different dish outputs, but I didn't think of an easy way to split that output in only two wiring units...

Time: 25, Cost: $226k

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I notice there are steam patches for a couple Zachtronics games today that switch the queries for the histograms for puzzles from servers to local copies. I wonder if that's just because they're old games (and there's low odds of these games getting massive histogram changes at this point) or if it's future-proofing in case the zachtronic servers go down in the future.