Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I love these games and I love that Opus Magnum solutions look cool even when they're bad.

Also the old SpaceChem tournaments are legit some of the funniest things I've seen out of these forums and I have never successfully been able to describe why the magic stick is so funny to anybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Molek-Syntez is on sale, for the first time since I've had it on my wishlist, so definitely worth the 5 bucks.

Thoughts after about 10 puzzles:

The animations are nearly as hypnotic as Opus Magnum, though not as high fidelity I rather like the 8 bit-ish graphics.

It's definitely got much more 'chemistry' fidelity than Spacechem but even then it's pretty silly.

I'm usually a 'fast' solutions guy, and this one goes against my basic instincts. In Opus Magnum, the fastest solutions I could usually come up with were to use a shitload of arms and have each of them specialize in a very small set of instructions. In Molek Syntez, a bit like SpaceChem, you have a fixed number of operators and so having each of them do everything in parallel seems like the best way to get low cycle counts? I'm sure that's not feasible for larger molecules but it seems like the basic base.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, guys, I got it - a game about building analog synthesizers. You get your typical programming weirdos interested, and you got your synth weirdos. Zachtronic gets to play around in an entirely new niche. There's a large supply of ideas in the synth diy world. You get a pretty big variation of 'missions' - you have your power supplies, your sequencers, your mixers, your midi devices, effect boxes, wave generators, etc.

Then you can have your creative mode where you link up your stuff with patch cables and do music.

Hello Zachtronics please hire me as an ideas guy, tia

This would be really good since that's one of the main interests of a character in Eliza.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Beartaco posted:

From the Exapunks level where you have to rotate a satellite to a certain angle, 1 degree at a time either clockwise or anticlockwise. I couldn't be bothered writing an if statement for "if target - angle > 180 then etc" so it just takes the loooong way around half of the time. Frankly I expected the playerbase to be as lazy as me with this one, I mean, it rotates the correct way 50% of the time! Boy was I wrong.

lmao feels good when that happens

I'm nowhere near that far (I'm quite bad at the more "direct" zachtronics games - my opus magnum skills are ok while shenzhen and exapunks feel insurmountable to me) but for the hand hacking level my time is like 3x the average and I'm going "I can do better" but I don't actually know what to do cuz when you're at 3x that means you're missing a fundamental component

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So exapunks specific question, my operation keeps failing and I think I'm failing to understand test functions, potential spoilers for the library level

Basic structure of my solution is to use REPL to create a novel exa for each file. I'm largely satisfied with the code I've got for finding the file, that's not an issue. Once I've found the file I run into trouble. Basically I'm using MODE and REPL to make yet another exa inside the node with the file, and then using the M register to rapidly copy the contents of the desired file into a new file. This again largely works. It's getting out that is killing me.

My first solution was to test for EOF, and when true the exa holding the original file would use KILL, grab the new file, and extract. This works...up until test 8, when the KILL is timed to hit an exa that is on its way back home, leaving 2 files and 1 exa behind with no halting. RIP.

So instead I've been trying that when EOF=true, the exa that is reading off the file would transmit some value that is outside parameters and then halt, while the receiving exa has a test for "TEST M = 1000" or whatever. If true then it triggers a return loop, if false it copies M to F. But sometimes they just write 1000 to F and then lock up because there is no longer anything transmitting to M.

Is there some safe thing that can be sent to M that will always trigger an exa to branch? I feel like I'm missing something insanely important about how TEST works.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goddammit yeah that first one did it. P sure I've used it in the past, this is what I get for putting the game down for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Finally got off my keister to take one of the worst things I've ever made and kick it up from a top 2% solution to a top 1% solution. Behold, the lowest cost solution to purified gold

https://i.imgur.com/We4MtNS.mp4

And because I am not entirely made of hatred, I also got a top 1% speed solution