Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

GotLag posted:

Just refunded Mobius Front after 40 minutes. I was expecting more puzzles but according to Zach on reddit:
"The range of the "15 to 40 hours" estimate is due to some people finding the game more challenging than others. The TIS-330 puzzle minigame is probably 30 to 60 minutes of gameplay at most. It's one of my favorite puzzles that I've designed, but it's definitely just a small part of the experience. This is a wargame first and foremost."

:(

Kinda in the mood for a war game, so I'll give Mobius Front a shot. I'm actually pretty impressed how experimental Zach is able to be in shunting between genres and styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm getting into Modulus Front, but at the same time it's kinda obvious that Zach is approaching the genre as an outsider. Combat is extraordinarily random, which combined with the low unit count means you can set up a great assault with solid mitigation, but the rng just decides you're just losing the mission today. Scouting is really important, but really needs to be done with infantry, which take forever to move around. Combine that with large sections of some maps being empty, and you can be crawling through some maps if you're not willing to risk a tank to a surprise ambush.

Still enjoying it, but it's no Advanced Wars.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 8, 2020

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I played through some of my zachlike backlog this holiday, and really clicked with Exapunks to such an extent that I beat the game without even checking hints. I'm not sure if it's just easier than the other games, or if I entered some kind of highly specific zen state. For reference, Shenzhen IO has me feeling like a dunce and I'm only halfway in. I feel like there's a lot more wiggle room in Exapunks than Shenzhen, so it's easy to come up with a big awkward solution.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm intrigued by signal state, and I'll download that demo tonight. Ideally they'd develop their own art style a bit, though. That input / expected output set-up is a little bit too similar to Shenzhen. ;)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, I started out doing the sign post method, but couldn't for the life of me work out how to prevent multiple simultaneous returns and so fell into the M register method, using the exact same sync trick above.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

From the Exapunks level where you have to rotate a satellite to a certain angle, 1 degree at a time either clockwise or anticlockwise. I couldn't be bothered writing an if statement for "if target - angle > 180 then etc" so it just takes the loooong way around half of the time. Frankly I expected the playerbase to be as lazy as me with this one, I mean, it rotates the correct way 50% of the time! Boy was I wrong.

When you get a score like that, the last level where you hack your own brain should be half the usual size.
:stare:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What a career, grandfather of one of the biggest games in history, bash out hit after hit in their own new genre of puzzle game, explain everything in an interactive book, then just retire from games.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I just tried Steed Force with my 3 year old, and the story behind it is sound. Kids love to put together virtual gunpla. I hope full release has a bunch more kits.

I'm loving Dungeons and Diagrams for doing a ten minute puzzle, Food Court feels like it could be a real Zachlike, and I'm obsessed with the forbidden flesh and it's edgy dialogue, I'm not sure how the mechanics work but I'm liking trying to puzzle out.

Chip Wizard is stressing me a little bit as I'll open up a new level and have absolutely no clue how to ever accomplish it, but it is very satisfying to solve.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just use sequencers instead of timers for all of my fryers. This makes it easier to run three fryers in parallel for all the levels where you cook a bunch of stuff!

Hell yeah, at least on the levels where I can't synchronise everything going into the friers at once.

Sequencers do feel a lot more powerful than anything else available. Timer, splitter, programmer, and some shenanigans you can pull off with the end input.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I've become quite a bit better with sequencers in Food Court and am able to match most of my friends' best times.

I'm now struggling with waste disposal on Da Wings.

Sensors are too slow to open gates when there's a line of products, and the timing isn't accurate enough for a sequencer to work in all scenarios.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but everything I've tried so far feels really clunky.

I managed this one with sequencers, but my 9 chicken feast did need to use two sequencers linked together to handle the whole thing. Everything moved in the exact same way every time, so I'm not sure how accuracy can be an issue. I thought Food Court was 100% deterministic.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Not accuracy, but consistency between the three scenarios. Depending on whether you're discarding one, two, or three extra products, they'll enter with different timings that I don't think can be handled with a single sequencer.

I feel like this is the first scenario where you can do it fast OR cheap, but going too far one way or the other will severely impact the other.
Some very light spoilers about how I managed it:
I used four sequencers, one for 3, one for 6, 2 for 9. Ugly as sin but effective. Plus you only need two disposals if you throw out the occasional half chicken. Friers can be operated from a single output if synchronised.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sorry if this was already posted, but there are now 12 extra XBPGH puzzles from users, and Steed Force now lets you do multiple builds of models (:toot:).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I finally finished Exapunks last night. The last level had me stumped for months, but I finally found the time to sit down and hash it out. It required two stages: a tree traversal and a sort. I had the tree traversal sitting in a solution for a long time, and I knew how to do a sort (I just did a sort of inefficient bubble sort). Ultimately it was switching between the two stages that had me at a loss with the big question being: How will my code know that every register on the map has been returned to the root so that it can proceed with the sort. The solution ended up being embarrassingly simple: wait x number of cycles, if no more data has been returned in that time, the exas can move to the next stage.

Major flashbacks for me, that was exactly my solution as well. I originally had a system where breadcrumb exas got left being so terminal exas could find their way back. I was really proud of that solution since it looked really nice in progress, but I just couldn't handle getting the results into the bubble sorting exa so I fell back on the global registry solution.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No, I said "dry ice"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Having finished all the Dungeons and Diagrams puzzles, I still don't know whether I discovered the trick to solving them, or if I basically broke the spirit of them and never learned the actual logic. I spent the first few meticulously working out where blocks could or could not go, but after a bit the logic element really got away from me. I'm pretty good at cave puzzles and picross which are clear inspirations, but I think there might have been certain logical inferences beyond the basics that just never came to me. Ultimately, I hit on the following general solution:

1. (this assumes you are working by row, but the solution works for columns) Find the row with the highest count of walls.
2. Place walls in that row until you have hit the target number, starting with the square in the row with the highest column number (as this is statistically the most likely to contain a wall)
3. Repeat until you have completed all rows, you will now have places the exact number of walls necessary to complete the puzzle, and each row and column has the right number of walls. All you have to do is move the walls to make a pattern that fits the rules
4. Begin the hunt-and-switch process. If you want to move a block in column 2 to column 3, the puzzle will still have equilibrium if you simultaneously swap another block in column 3 to column 2. Any time you see a section of the maze breaking the rules, you should look to switch walls in or out of that section to make it rules compliant. Keep switching until all rules conflicts have been resolved (some conflicts might require multiple swaps).

That turned it into something more like bejewelled mixed with a sliding tile puzzle. Fun game though, even if this wasn't the intended way.

This is a greater sacrilege than X'BPGH. Every fibre of my body is repulsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just wrapped up 20th Century Food Court, and this time the melancholy hit me (probably because the fictional developer is pretty explicitly Zach). Great game, I hope he moves on to great things.

That soup bowl on the sushi level is such a cheeky little FU to people runnin out of machine space. I needed to take out a couple of routers and build a "dumber" solution to make space for the bits to run it.

Chip Wizard just isn't scratching the itch, so I think I'll be moving on the optimisation for a bit.