Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's me, the zachtronics fan.

I'll also give a shout-out to the proto-zach-likes that predate Spacechem - the codex of alchemical engineering and so forth.

Fans of Opus Magnum will see some similarities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

You have had my favorite avatar for like forever.

You can actually thank GuavaMoment for that one.

I like to think I did pretty well right up until I got a job and had less time to work on puzzles and ended up putting in a performance deserving of my reward.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you've got a diamond track with two arms on it, the easy way to elegant up your solution is to have them swap roles after each product so they end up going round in a circle instead of just back and forth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, it's definitely more of an aesthetic thing for hobbyist alchemists than a practical one for professionals, since it essentially doubles your instruction count, and the accountants are gonna take one look at it and ask you to do a better job of productionization.

Sometimes you can end up shaving a cycle over the transition, which is neat, and helps get the bean counters off your back.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Prime Mover is seriously interesting. PSA: Once you get to about world 3, there's a widget at the top that lets you do the same missions in a challenge mode, which has some extra constraints (like "no trash") that make obvious solutions for the original puzzle no longer work.

Also a bunch of the puzzles I just look at and go "how the hell are you supposed to do that?", which is a good thing for a puzzle game to have.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jeesis posted:

Anyone have non-spoiler tips for TIS-100? I cannot figure out how I am supposed to compare two values. I am stuck on the one where you need to output the lesser value then the larger value then finish with zero.

I just want a nudge in the right direction not a full on solution.

The conditional jump instructions (JEZ, JNZ, JGZ, JLZ) let you do different things based on the value in the accumulator. Can you think of anything that would let you meet the conditions of one of those instructions only when A is greater than B?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People is all about drawing circuits!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just fired up the game to check what my solution was, you can probably get the gist from the gif:

Details if you want more spoilers:
I used the M register instead of walking results back. Since we need to send back two values, and having two exas sending back their values at the same time would probably split them, I instead did the synchronization from the host end. Each exa that finds a #NERV register starts by reading from global M, which then tells it how many times it's going to delay-loop before transmitting back, and the values that get sent out are chosen so that only one exa is transmitting back at a time. Cleanup is easy since each exa can just self-destruct after sending back its own value.

Can probably do a lot better by tightening up timings and such but I think I was satisfied with just getting it working - IIRC I was pretty tired having just spent hours on something insanely complicated with each exa remembering the path it had taken to reach its current position and doing funky math to backtrack once it had gotten its data without much success, and this was my second idea on how to make it happen.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you use TEST, that consumes the value being sent over M. There are two kind of easy fixes:

- Copy the M value into the local register, test against it, then you still have it if you need it. This won't work if you need to preserve your current X.
- Having the sending exa send the same value twice (or send a control value followed by the actual data). The receiving exa can then use the first value to make a decision, and then read from M to get the actual data. This won't work if you need to have more than one reader or writer using the same channel at once.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just got my shipping notice, for reference.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A decent number of public libraries give people access to 3d printers these days.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What determines the time score for the food court? Whichever recipe takes the longest?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Chipwizard sounds cool, I should take a look at it. I got sucked way into the food court and haven't really looked at anything later lol.

I really like the enforced 15 minute timer before you can download another game - it's both very thematic, and it makes you take a decent look at each game instead of just skimming them and moving on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh wow, Chipwizard is basically KOHCTPYKTOP but with modern Zachtronics style and a scoring system. That's awesome.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can enter fryers from the exit side?

This changes everything. Time to get some new highscores. (Lowscores?)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eggnogium posted:

Crazy stuck on Stepper Motor Driver in Chipwizard right now. I can't even get either of the B inputs on its own let alone in a way that leaves room for the rest. My solution to Dual Oscillator depended on the offset being the same as the period.

I think for that one I used a cheater circuit that sends a pulse on the very first tick and then turns itself off as part of my solution. The rest of it is a pretty easy extension of dual oscillator.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At first I was only able to match your cost, but then I figured out some neat tricks with stopping sequencers that allowed me to ditch a bunch of multimixers and latch counters and save a decent chunk more:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The last level of D&D is a serious brainburner compared to everything before that, but if you've been watching lots of Cracking the Cryptic videos and can identify that things like how many walls are in the left two columns are going to be important then it becomes way more tractable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every run is independent, everything resets after you've finished one product and before you start the next one.

If you want to reset your counters in the middle of a run (which you definitely don't need to do for the wine thing), that's up to you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

You don't have enough space to easily add control blocks for cutting up the maki, try to find a way to have all four pieces route hands off. Two cutters can do it.

You can use one big counter to use POS to enable one type of fish, and ZERO to enable the other. This is easy to initialize. Sashimi will be the only one to change the state in the middle of the run.

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

These are some neat tricks. I used a scanner to figure out what type of meat to output when I realized I was running out of space for latches - which required some trickery with the sashimi, but was very satisfying to figure out. Using a counter and just changing it in the middle is a cool idea that I wished I had thought of.

And the stacker insight is really neat too, I was able to apply it to my existing solution and cut out a bunch of extraneous multimixers. Though I think it'll take a total rebuild to get the cost down significantly - unless I can ditch the 20k scanner and make it work with latches now that I've got a little more room?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Feels like a quick optimization to use a router instead of a sorter .

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SupSuper posted:

Is it possible to solve multiple-order puzzles with only one counter? Seems like I always need one to repeat the ingredients and another for the stacker at the end.

It's possible to solve many of them with no counters at all, just sequencers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

Any tips for making the hand on the final level of the Forbidden Path? I don't even know where to start.

I did it by racing flesh propagating from the metal with bone propagating from the top, then having the excess bone on the end die off.

Took some fiddling to get everything to come out exactly right with timing, lots of hand-shaped things where one finger was slightly off before I finally cracked it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phssthpok posted:

I've put together an initial version of a web app with shareable, editable dungeons and diagrams:

Daily Dungeons and Diagrams

it supports linking to the state of a partially solved puzzle: example

- I can't see the whole grid without scrolling
- If I zoom out to try and see the whole grid, it scales up so that I still can't see the whole grid
- Is there a way to mark cells as empty?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cycling works. Also if you're eyeing up touch controls, make sure people can just drag across the screen to paint in whole boxes of filled or empty cells rather than having to tap one-by-one.

Look at how various picture cross/nonogram apps do it for UX ideas.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are a whole bunch of deductions that you can make, but most of them boil down to "if it was any other way it would make either a 2x2 open space, or a dead-end with no monster". And most of the rest become "if it did this then stuff wouldn't be connected".

For example, if you have a 5x2 rectangle with only two walls in it, one of those walls must in column 2, and the other one must be in column 4.
Another example, if one column is a six (meaning there are two gaps in it), and there are two different regions on the left side of it that aren't connected to each other, then one of those regions can't have both of the gaps.

Are these super-specific deductions? Yeah, they are. I've used both of them in solves, along with a bunch of other super-specific steps. Good problem solving isn't about memorizing a million possible deduction steps, it's about looking at the problem as a whole and then inventing deduction steps that will let you make forward progress.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stickman posted:

E: Now I just need to find something for The Engine of the Golemancer...

That one does take a similar situation-specific deduction yeah. I'm confident you can find it though!

Like last time, you'll need to look at a pair of rows/columns together, rather than looking at rows and columns individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think I ran into any of the main levels that required it, but it's not like I've done every single one of the shadow caverns puzzles. I'm not sure how the generator for those actually works.