Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Separate instances. But it becomes harder, of course.

A difference with something like Advance Wars is you start with buying your initial units in a reinforcement, phase, the you get one or two extra reinforcement phases, with their own points to spend, after a couple turns. So in some cases it's all about finding a combination that'll allow you to establish an initial beachhead while waiting for more units to arrive.

Finding the right counters is super important. Tanks in particular are brutal because their armor makes them very studry to machine guns but infantry and especially anti-tank infantry can wreck them. So far (I'm, I dunno, 7-8 missions in?) establishing a strong defensive position is absolutely the way to go, especially in maps where you have to capture objectives in a specific order. Basically, prepare an ambush around the first or second control point, keep the enemy busy there while a chopper or some other fast vehicle can drop small units at the already captured control points the AI won't leave units behind to guard. That way even if the ambush seems like a lost cause you can make a desperate grab for the next point and have a cascade effect since the enemy won't be able to go back fast enough (even though you can only capture one point per turn). That doesn't work quite as well for the maps where the objectives aren't done in sequence though.

It's probably pointless to turtle and seek to annihilate all enemy units though, going for the objective is absolutely the way to go. You just want to disrupt them enough (usually by blowing up their tanks and air support) that you can run around doing what you're actually there to do unhindered.

Infantry can ride on pretty much any vehicle although that'll likely prevent them from using their weapons if they aren't dedicated troop transports. The real powerful stuff like tank killers needs one turn to set up and clear firing lines. Artillery can fire over obstacles but tends to be weak, and even useless against armor, and imprecise, but it's great against infantry. Pretty much all the secondary abilities are much more useful than they may seem at first.

The extra docs this time around are straight up US armed forces manuals.

I'm not too far in the story but the obvious civil war subtext makes me think it's no coincidence the game's released today of all days.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The key to mission 7 is to bring some artillery (I brought 2 on first phase and one more later) and burrow near the west end of the road. With 2 deployed anti-tank jeeps and 2-3 truckloads of infantry in the nearby woods the enemy will mostly act like a scaredy cat (you also need to block a northern forest path with some infantry, anti-tank units are super vulnerable to infantry as long as you use woods effectively). Also bring a chopper and have it go up north to first the optional objective, and then east to the anti-air stuff (but if you get too close it'll get shot down). Since artillery can shoot pretty much anywhere on the map as long as someone can see the hex a recon chopper makes it a force of nature against anything that isn't armored.

Mission 6 is sorta the same idea IIRC, only with less attack range.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 6, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The briefing box for mission 7 tells you about the optional objective. You should pursue it, too, that's how you unlock the radio minigame.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 6, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
At least for me i'd like extra enlightenment on how to correctly reset the counter.

All in all I'm finding Food Court to be the least enjoyable of the bunch. It just seems extremely fiddly interface-wise, I don't enjoy placing pieces like in other zachtronics games and some like the scanner are unintuitive as to what the right orientation is. As a result it's one of the two I haven't finished, along with Exapuzzle Bobble or whatever it's called (which is hell but enjoyable hell, I'm stuck on level 3).

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do I even have that at that stage? Seemed to me the counter, sorter and multimixer are the only new tools right now.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No, at the wine level I definitely need to reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arms_Akimbo posted:

E: put zero on start

But that's an output on an output?

Also I guess I just have no idea how the counters work (also no, there is no sequencer available in Wine o'clock).

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 26, 2022