Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Oldstench posted:

I would love to be able to use a game pad for the arcade game.

You can. Go to the control config screen and press game pad buttons instead of keyboard keys when assigning controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

magimix posted:

Edit: It is probably the smaller scope of these games, but I really want to try writing solvers for at least some of them, for the fun of it.

Strange thing: there actually IS a Solver for Dungeons and Diagrams _in_ the LCBBS executable. I don’t know if it’s ever used, mind you.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
And between steps a fair amount resets. At first I tried plugging a multimixer into itself to act as a latch but that doesn’t work so apparently the electricity is sucked out of the wires between steps.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I mean, the level design is the difficult bit. Implementing the rest is easy in comparison. You could play it with a pen and paper.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Hempuli posted:

Dungeons & Diagrams is effectively a paper puzzle; there are some others like Nonogram (Picross is a Nonogram puzzle), Cave & Aquarium that have somewhat similar systems. If you liked DnD, you might enjoy e.g. the puzz.link database of paper puzzles (each comes with a solving tool & rules explanations so you don't need to actually draw on paper) (https://puzz.link/), or the Grandmaster Puzzles blog (https://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/)

Those are cool to know about. But I meant to say that implementing an online version like Phssthpok suggested shouldn't be too difficult. I don't know if a rule-based solver or even generator is possible also.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Don’t know if I wanted to laugh or cry at the guy who designed such awesome programming puzzles finding out that typical pupils will never learn that way.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I still can’t do the penultimate line. I think I’m missing a law.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I meant more the deduction laws. Ie:

- if a monster has a clear square adjacent, all other adjacent squares are walls.
- if a monster has 3 walls adjacent, the other square is clear.
- if a non-monster clear square has 2 walls adjacent, the other two are clear.
- if a space adjacent to a treasure chest is a wall, the 2 on the other side of the chest are clear.
Etc.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Thanks for the podcast link btw. Interesting to hear that D&Di was just designed as a podcast bonus after Zach played AD&D live. Just how talented is this man?

That does seem to have skewed his views on education, mind you.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Do people still hear from Zach? Last I heard he wanted to become a teacher, managed it, but didn’t like it and quit?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Balatro is a lot of fun, but maybe a bit too random.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It can do, but access to those jokers and deck shaping tools is also random. You’re betting you get offered a combination which can make a meaningful engine and don’t get a blind that shuts it down. One of the nice things about Zachtronics games is that they’re largely deterministic, so you can experiment with reliable results.

If you got through the harder Zachtronics programming games you might as well go to codingame.com and actually program game solutions.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Screeps Arena? Desynced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Just do some actual code on a Spectrum Next emulator :) I wish there was a fantasy console that supported bare metal ARM. Ideally the older version with the funky condition codes.