Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I enjoyed opus magnum, but i'm really not a fan of its leaderboard style being your cumulative results rather than based on a single solution like spacechem was.
It was a lot more open ended and easier to me than spacechem too, solving a puzzle prioritizing only low cycles, or low area and allowing the others to spiral out of control made it super easy to brute force solutions - and due to the leaderboard design it doesn't seem to encourage trying to find the best equal balance of all 3.

I still love it, been playing spacechem again recently and I seem to have forgotten how to play it, I'm re-learning all over again which is fun. I've been a little intimidated by the assembly language based ones and haven't given them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Daedalus1134 posted:

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible compliment.

Spoiler for a solution to the hardest the demo has to offer.

I feel like if you like this and the puzzle solving nature of it, you should probably get into actual modular synthesis.
There's a free and open source modular software available, buying hardware gets expensive. https://vcvrack.com/

Basically, people with big modular synths (what this game is based on) make music by creating weird little mathematical rules and problems to solve that then generate sound in interesting ways. Multiplication/division, logic switches, creative routing etc. The exact same principles that the signal state is based on designing a game around, with identical modules too.
If you've got a spare 15 minutes, this is a really good overview of how to approach music from a math and puzzle solving perspective -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM
Every single hardware module he's using there can be recreated in vcv rack, there are no limits to it and the sound quality is flawless. He's really good at explaining what he did, and why, while introducing each element one by one so you can hear what each stage is doing.

Edit: I just realized that vcvrack is open source and this puzzle game is literally built on top of it. He even name-drops vcv plugin developers as collaborators at the end of the steam description.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 1, 2021