Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Oh hey, a new Zachtronics thread! It's worth noting that there are some other, non-Zachtronics games that are in a similar vein. For example, "Silicon Zeroes", where you lay out and design CPUs.

This is a great chance for me to share my original solution for an early SpaceChem puzzle, "Split Before Bonding":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE-wi6905a8

I don't remember which basic game mechanic I didn't yet understand at the time, but I built this beautiful solution around it. I saved the original video before I redid it, when I realized how far astray I had gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Samopsa posted:

It's a neat game but more zen-like and focused around scaling up instead of solving puzzles using logic (a "proper" zach-like).

I've been playing Infinite Turtles and it's a cool zach-like. The demo is very meaty and your save works in the full game. Highly recommended to check it out.

It's based around nested units, so you can use the results of a level as a block in your next solutions, recursively as much as you want. My main gripe currently is that most difficulty comes from fitting in locks everywhere to ensure everything works regardless of delays or stacked inputs and such. The basic circuits you build are pretty straightforward.

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the demo and will probably pick up the full game soon. It really reminded me of Jahooma's LogicBox, which has a similar grid setup and uses the same 'your earlier solutions become boxes you can use on future puzzles (and their efficiency impacts the puzzles you use them in' setup. It doesn't really include any need to solve for race conditions/timing issues like Infinite Turtles, though.

I've also recently been playing through "Comet64", which is on Steam. It reminds me of playing something like TIS-100, but I found that the actual puzzles have mostly been not terribly challenging.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Oldstench posted:

Here is how I did it.

Thanks for this - I was also completely stumped on the "OR" level, but this helped me understand a little better and I was able to complete all the levels up until the one where you have to create two clock signals at different intervals. I though I had a way to do it, but it ended up just infinitely looping; I assume I just need to double this up so that there are a pair of latches that toggle each other each tick but I'm stuck on the practical end of implementing that.

In other news, I'm sharing my (terrible) attempt at a solution for the OR gate puzzle, before I realized you can use the +V to get an always-on signal.

https://i.imgur.com/h9iVPmz.png

(this solution works when A or B is high, but does not function when both are active at once)