Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Such a great angry face. HP is so expressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The side-by-side contrast is really fun, and from a thematic point of view, it also shows that despite their extremely different personalities and approaches to management, both of them have still fundamentally failed these girls in the same way. (Or rather, the system they represent has, and they're the representatives stuck with the fallout.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

When you spend years telling frightened teenagers that "YOU and ONLY YOU must SAVE THE WHOLE CITY!*" I don't know why anyone would be surprised when they decide to take things into their own hands. :shrug:

* = Not literally what they teach, but it's hard, especially for teenagers, not to absorb that as the subtext with all the talk about duty and sacrifice in the SD World.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As a social issue it runs deep. Their entire culture around magical girls is built around insisting they are not child soldiers. They aren't conscripted, they aren't formally trained, and they aren't organised, because any of these things would break the illusion that magical girls are a super cool thing that children should want to be and parents should support. Maybe this approach means a few more lives are lost than would happen in a stricter system... But at least everyone can sleep at night knowing no one's making them do it.

Unfortunately this means when there is an outside context problem, an existential threat to the city, there's no support structure to handle it. Figuring out what to do is on the shoulders of a traumatised teenager.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think both managers feel pretty helpless here, and hell, they are, which is why the girls feel going to them wouldn't accomplish much. But they still feel like they are in a position where they have to ensure their client's safety, even when they practically can't do much at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I don't think a culture inured to superpowered child soldiers would have a taboo around child soldiers. It's more like being a Soviet gymnast: some of you will die, some of you will have life-changing injuries, most of you will have a mediocre career before fading back into normal life, but a few will be celebrated national stars, and anyway your informed consent in the stakes - if you are identified early to have potential - may be less than entirely ideal.

Unfortunately the reader is not shown how many children have the dream (it can't be that frequent, or it wouldn't be special) and yet do not participate in civil defence. The vivid and sudden hair colour should make it impossible to hide. But Rue does not appear to suffer any social sanction.
Perhaps non-combat and non-useful powers are common enough that merely being an MG is not tantamount to being a useful MG.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think they've actually stated in comic how long the magical girl thing has been going on, but I get the impression that it's fairly recent and the memory thing that's messing with everyone has them all thinking that it's more established. I don't know how much of that is really the text and how much is my impression, though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ronya posted:

I don't think a culture inured to superpowered child soldiers would have a taboo around child soldiers. It's more like being a Soviet gymnast: some of you will die, some of you will have life-changing injuries, most of you will have a mediocre career before fading back into normal life, but a few will be celebrated national stars, and anyway your informed consent in the stakes - if you are identified early to have potential - may be less than entirely ideal.

Unfortunately the reader is not shown how many children have the dream (it can't be that frequent, or it wouldn't be special) and yet do not participate in civil defence. The vivid and sudden hair colour should make it impossible to hide. But Rue does not appear to suffer any social sanction.
Perhaps non-combat and non-useful powers are common enough that merely being an MG is not tantamount to being a useful MG.

Rue does also go out to fight, she just doesn't participate in the programs that are handled by the government to help.

We do see Zoe being bullied for not going out to fight but attending the special magical girl school, though only once, so there is some stigma, but that also seems to be more about benefiting without the risks rather than not participating at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the extremely occasional girl who doesn't participate is probably essential to their 'it's fine it's totally voluntary' thing, even though all pressures make sure that the vast majority do.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It probably helps that there are non-combatant positions to make them feel like they can still contribute without risking their lives, like the dorm monitor where HP lives who makes a headcount when they return from their fights, or Vedika volunteering at the hospital, and possibly also the greenhouse magical girl at the school? She might not fight but be decently regarded by helping grow food in a limited surface area.

Also, powers like Steffi's, who can make magically self-sustaining prothesis. I imagine that there might be other magical girls with support-type powers that could feasibly stay out of the fights without suffering too much reputation damage.

Oh, and there were also healer types, right? They presumably stay at or near the emergency shelters if they aren't versatile or hardy enough to fight too.

Also, Zoe might have been under more scrutiny than usual because of her popular older sister, maybe other kids slip under the radar a little better?

isasphere fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 10, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well to be fair Rue does patrol, so even if she rejects most everything else MG I imagine that is the most important one. I also doubt she would be stingy with her potions either if that was a thing that people needed and she could provide without endangering herself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think they've actually stated in comic how long the magical girl thing has been going on, but I get the impression that it's fairly recent and the memory thing that's messing with everyone has them all thinking that it's more established. I don't know how much of that is really the text and how much is my impression, though.

At least fifteen years, since HP's mom was a magical girl. And even back then the same basic structures seemed to be in place, like the shelters. So it seems unlikely that the girls of Team Spear were first generation pioneers or anything. So call it, what, twenty years minimum and possibly a lot longer than that?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, if I had to make a guess I'd imagine something like 110-120 years, and thus any first hand knowledge of the before-times have passed out of living memory.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
According to the hard-to-read notes Undine had written in that history class,they also underwent a big political upheaval at some unknown-to-us point in the past, so that's even more reason to have lost a sense of what life was really like in previous generations.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-4

"It was eventually determined that -- had no-- magical potential -- caused an upheaval in the local power structure.

People began to question whether those without the mayoreal blessing at the city should be allowed to vote. It became by -- progressives and tradition(alists) with the progressives -- ming and"

That "mayoreal blessing" makes me wonder if it means just legal right to vote, or if it's about the magical powers, and if The Girl In White was the actual mayor at some point? And if she was also The Founder or just one more in a long line.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
... It's not possible that only former MGs can vote right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

thechosenone posted:

That seems pretty unlikely in the current day. But remember there's a religious sect that believes magical girls are holy warriors chosen by their god. It's pretty plausible that historically a past regime in the City believed this gave them some sort of divine right to rule. In the previous page the teacher says something about moving to a more democratic system in C.Y. 127, so I guess they ran into problems with basing their power structure on what is essentially a random lottery.

I would also imagine they're basing their calendar on the city's founding, so the city itself must have existed for over a century and, given this is a history class, probably two or more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine CY means City Year.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

thechosenone posted:

Service guarantees citizenship!

Or possibly did at some point in the past.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Chapter 21, Page 30
Wonder what the girls have planned now.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Their parents might intercept them yet!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kokoro still so nervous about asking out the girl who is conclusively her girlfriend right now

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah it's adorable, though they've been together for what, a month? I always forget that the whole comic has taken place in the span of less than a year

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Wonder what the girls have planned now.

Well it sounds like they were planning to go somewhere.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have to imagine there’s one Denny’s equivalent that’s open post-barrier sweep that makes bank off all these hungry, moody teenagers who just got done killing monsters and really want a Moons Over My Hammy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bussamove posted:

I have to imagine there’s one Denny’s equivalent that’s open post-barrier sweep that makes bank off all these hungry, moody teenagers who just got done killing monsters and really want a Moons Over My Hammy.

Magical-girling probably burns a lot of calories. Gotta get stuck into some chicken-fried steak after whomping some beasties.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

Patreon update says things are starting to look up a little for Cube in her personal life and she's trying to get a better handle on her time for drawing, so the update rate will hopefully be stabilising a little.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Woah slow down there Undine, already asking to see her cat.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Accidentally smooth there HP.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-32

It's too bad you can't let go, says girl who can't let go sharing a body/mind with another girl who can't let go :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro or ice-cream cone...

Edit: I keep forgetting crepes are a thing

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 2, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Team gyro

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh it's these assholes again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is letting go quite how you'd describe getting to this point, Tessa? Is it really? :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Undine is a water-controlling-girl, letting go is more of an ice-controlling-girl kind of thing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

nimby posted:

Undine is a water-controlling-girl, letting go is more of an ice-controlling-girl kind of thing.

Are you suggesting Undine should more go with the flow?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

... Team up name is now blood flow!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bussamove posted:

I took it to mean she needs to respec to an attack role with watergun magic.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bussamove posted:

I was more of a suggestion that undine won't have earworm musical numbers, but yours also works.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is letting go quite how you'd describe getting to this point, Tessa? Is it really? :v:

I mean, she walked out expecting death. That's a kind of letting go.

it only makes sense as a remark if post-merger Tessa doesn't really view herself in continuity with pre-merger Tessa, since she seems aware that her current motivations and goals are not Tessa original flavour's motivations (survivor guilt, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

We know you are, Anemone.