Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Also any purple themed MGs are going to get the side eye from folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
They'll talk about Goops, hit a trigger phrase and every nonmagically enhanced individual will go static eyed. Even then everyone could go staticy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kortel posted:

They'll talk about Goops, hit a trigger phrase and every nonmagically enhanced individual will go static eyed. Even then everyone could go staticy.

Probably not. By the nature of the problem, they wouldn't be able to say something that triggers the effect, because they don't remember anything that would trigger the effect.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Probably not. By the nature of the problem, they wouldn't be able to say something that triggers the effect, because they don't remember anything that would trigger the effect.

I think the only way it could come into play is that if there are levels to the memory erasure based on the person. Like Anemone can remember more than most but there's still a few things that she can't. Magical girls don't remember as much as Anemone, non-powered people remember even less etc etc. I don't think this is the case though. Would be too complicated and seems unnecessary? We really don't know how it works so can't really rule it out though I suppose.

But otherwise Undine should at least be able to say everything the girls have already talked about which is a fair amount. Since yeah, otherwise they would have forgotten it already.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 5, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I think it'd be mentioned if magical girls can remember things others can't. At least the girls would notice that (or else would go staticy alot due to repeatedly noticing other people staticing), right?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

You know, speaking of Anemone, I wonder what she was attempting to do by showing Tessa a picture of Goops and asking her what the magical girl statue is. Was she testing the memory effect, or trying to learn more, or what?

Since she can see things through the inner barrier, presumably she would've overheard some of HP talking with Undine about it, as well as the other conversations (like Bud and Harley discussing it after the meeting), so I'm wondering why she hasn't talked to Undine or someone, if only to warn her about Stressa. I guess in-universe it's been only one day since Stressa's appearance, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She said she was trying to see if Tessa somehow knew more about goops, since goops was lurking around outside her window.

The part where she calls attention to the statue and then tells Tessa who it was was deliberately invoking the memory effect to wipe the whole conversation.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

MikeJF posted:

She said she was trying to see if Tessa somehow knew more about goops, since goops was lurking around outside her window.

The part where she calls attention to the statue and then tells Tessa who it was was deliberately invoking the memory effect to wipe the whole conversation.
Well, I understood the memory effect at the end, but she doesn't invoke it until later. The part where she asks about the statue is separate from that - she doesn't say "that statue is of (insert mystery here)" to force-end the conversation until a couple pages later, and could've done so without pointing the statue out initially like that. I was wondering what Anemone was after there.

You're right about Goops being outside her window though, I forgot about that bit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Host tugging collar intensifies as Undine makes poo poo get way realer than talk shows are supposed to go.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That fourth panel is fantastic

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Host: They better clarify if they are dating after that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VictualSquid posted:

Host: They better clarify if they are dating after that.
"Well, that's all terrifying. Now it's time for something much more positive. So are you two partners, or are you PARTNERS?"

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This is more nerve-wracking than when they are actually fighting the monsters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Broadcast and filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Broadcast and filmed in front of a live studio audience.
Goops: For now

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-24
This is going poorly

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Oh no, they didn't even prepare for follow-up questions. :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"well you see, my response to her villainy was telling her to stop being evil"
"I thought that would work..."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Started reading this on Saturday, all caught up today. Really enjoying the whole cast, only thing I can say is a) RIP Cassidy you had a cool outfit and b) I wasn't expecting them to start dating so 'soon' but I'm all for it, I love the dynamic these two goofs have

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kokoro to herself: "I'm starting to think we wont be having dinner after this : ("

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I think probably mentioning "she called me on the phone! during the day!" would be important to mention in regards to goop being a monster or not (or if she is, that that's something monsters can do)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

And absolutely none of them considered follow up questions

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
so, leaning into the inspirational role model public image to pitch a "we know you're struggling with your powers o mystery mahou and we're here to help" message?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

My theory is that they're going to say she's not actually killed or hurt anyone, so it's totally nothing to worry about, but if someone knows something, it'd be good to reach out before someone gets seriously hurt!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Two more pages since the last post.
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-25-2
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-27

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Undine just willing herself to be absorbed into the couch as they don’t stick the landing at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Honestly, I don’t think the read we’re intended to get from this is that they hosed it up. It’s sloppy but the framing doesn’t say “unsuccessful” to me just yet. We literally just had a “aha we planned for this!” flashback.

You usually don’t deploy those unless you want to convey that the characters are doing a smart thing.

I’m sure it will have unintended consequences, that said.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
We haven't seen the producer or anyone making frantically "cut off" hand motions either, so cautiously optimistic.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah this is going way better than I'd expected. Given this is fiction, you go into this bracing for a big turning point, probably a bad reaction to what they're saying. But then the turning point instead was a flashback, which heist-style establishes that they had a plan to avoid the worst outcomes. I think their awkwardness here is partly performative (in a "good performance based on redirecting a real emotion" way) -- they'd planned on selling this as a weird phenomenon, more concerning than terrifying, and they're doing so successfully. The interviewer doesn't sound totally unwilling to believe them, just a little perturbed, which is reasonable.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 13, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it feels like they are more testing the waters; They give the bare minimum information so that they do not cause a panic and it could be written off as a blip of 'We Saw Something Weird" to most people, but anyone who knows what they are talking about will twig to it and seek them out. Something like a dogwhistle, for lack of a better term.

Now, the question is "What sort of attention will they end up getting?"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The immediate consequences are going to be their managers tearing them a new one for saying things unplanned

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

rannum posted:

The immediate consequences are going to be their managers tearing them a new one for saying things unplanned

I imagine their respective parents will also have words with them. I think they realize Something Is Up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I imagine their respective parents will also have words with them. I think they realize Something Is Up.

HP's dad for sure is going to be freaked.

Also I said this earlier, but I imagine the long mentioned but so far never relevant MG worshippers and maybe some MGs from their school are probably going to enter the plot after this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm going to guess that we'll see one more part of the flashback meeting.

"Anyway, if this revelation puts everyone in a panic, you two could pretend to kiss and be a couple to get everyone talking about something else."

"Yes..... pretend...."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nimby posted:

I'm going to guess that we'll see one more part of the flashback meeting.

"Anyway, if this revelation puts everyone in a panic, you two could pretend to kiss and be a couple to get everyone talking about something else."

"Yes..... pretend...."
Undine trying to turn the conversation around as planned: So you se--
Kokoro about to cave under pressure: WE KISSED. WE'RE DATING

Every single audience member turning their heads in unison creating a whip crack sound so loud it can be heard outside the barrier: :eyepop:

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Oh hey, remember those guys?

here is your reminder that if you are about to make An Announcement, you should clear it with the people whose job it is to handle your media presence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

But what if you're a teenager and the grown-ups just won't get it

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

But what if teenager

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

[about 5 pages from now]
"Ugh, glad that's done want to go get something to ea--"
[mom & dad undine, dad kokoro, in unison] "So...You girls wanna tell us what the heck that was all about?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Tenebrais posted:

But what if teenager
And now, a tale of two very different teenager/demi-quasi-not-formally-an-authority-figure dynamics.