Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know this thread existed! I was about to make one.

It's been like a month since she died and I'm still baffled Cassidy's mahou name wasn't Orange Slice.

Kennel posted:

Anyway...

Hey Undies is this you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love how thoroughly acceptable queerness is in this universe. Gay ladies are doing cheesy commercials, nobody's said a word against Zoe (I love that we still don't know her deadname and I don't think we ever will), Gwen was stone butch as gently caress and it only made her popular, and Undine being attracted to girls is so normal and reasonable that it wasn't worth mentioning until it became relevant.

And the main character is a black kid. So's Rue, and Rue has a different background and personality. Rue is also the poo poo, by the way. Fuckin' love the Rue/Zoe team.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
She wasn't joking. :allears:

I see the plan now. Pursue all of HP's anxieties until HP transfers out of school to live in the sewers and never comes out again. Then take advantage of the sudden market surplus of protein powder to become rich and fund Tessa getting a loving therapist already.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-12

Yeah, Mysterious Ring of Action Effects-chan is the worst. But enough about her, I want to know about HER. I bet her poo poo is rad.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Asexual but panromantic <3

All Might is bi though! I mean, that was a mistranslation and the actual text doesn't say that, but gently caress you no takebacks.

I swear there's a neighboring universe that keeps bleeding into this one, where MHA is pride as gently caress. We almost get there sometimes. It's beyond agonizing.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

MHA has canonically trans characters in it, which is pretty good as far as manga/anime goes. Hell, I can't, offhand, think of any other even vaguely mainstream piece of media that has sympathetic trans characters in it.

Of course, Sleepless Domain is over here with Tessa the Token Straight.

One of my favorite MHA scenes with the villains was when the two League members angrily corrected that guy on Magne's pronouns. You're not wrong.

But yeah SD is a firm adherent to the philosophy that characters should be queer unless you've got a compelling reason to make them straight. Man, I hope this comic is getting worldwide attention, because it's some of the best magical girl media out there.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If Bud really does know the whole situation somehow then I shall be forced to sit up sharply from my chair.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know anything, please explain :(

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cassidy: crazier with every page.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Well now I have to catch up on that. Holy poo poo.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That bonnet/helmet is a great look. The costume design is and remains A+.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What? No, she's going to tell the president.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Super excited to see Tess's new scary costume. Dark magical girls get fanservicey costumes a lot of the time, but Mary Cagle doesn't do that.

I don't know what to expect for a motif. Probably not goop, right? I mean, it might be goop.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the tool assisted long jump has been widespread since WW2, albeit rarely on purpose.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to HP, she's strong and she loves you.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it did. Goops does seem to be a part of the walls.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That bottom left panel is kind of haunting. On the outside she's just chatting, but her mind is elsewhere and it's someplace terrible.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-18-page-21

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is that facial hair? I thought he was cleanshaven, but with an unfortunate beard pattern of dark bristles under pale skin.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to seeing how much convincing Tessa needs to buy the argument "Our mutual problem here is that your friend wasn't wheelchair'd the first time around."

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"You want her off the streets so you don't lose your last friend, I want her off the streets because gently caress the police. We can work this out."

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Read this again because I forgot how the latest chapter was going.

They're going to be taking her down with the Halloween decorations, aren't they :ohdear:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That look of peaceful despair.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to finally seeing one of these, and I expect to have even more questions after this.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I'm assuming that's what she looks right now, :barf:ing ghosts.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize this was going to be one big oof.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine giving Tessa powers because you think she can't possibly get more isolated. Boy, I bet Girl in White feels stupid now!

Goops is doing the same thing though.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm optimistic! Things are really turning around for Tessa today.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Goopy-T's sleeves poof out when she crosses her arms.

The character polls are pretty consistent at this point. I bet Tessy-G even keeps that position unless Bud knocks them back to #6.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MJeff posted:

If polling opened the same day chapter 18 ended, Tessa would've been #3 easy. I don't think anybody's ever getting higher than that though, 1 and 2 seem pretty fuckin' locked for the rest of this comic's run.

I don't see Tess ever beating Zoe, but she'd at least get close. MAYBE another tie? People freaking love Zoe.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

girl dick energy posted:

Gabby has the same energy as Gwen.

Gwen was one of my favorite alchemicals and I'm glad Gabby is keeping the flame alive.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's slightly weird to me is that most of Gessa's lines up to this point haven't really been in canon. We're getting most of her(their?) initial characterization from side stuff. It's not like it ruins anything, but it does mean those first few lines of establishing character dialogue were spent on cute gags, like if the Jason Voorhees slipped on a banana peel in his first scene. They'll get that tension back later for sure, but right now they're utterly nonthreatening and I wish them nothing but the best.

Although maybe that's really the energy they bring. You could ABSOLUTELY introduce Freddy Kreuger with a banana peel gag and make it work.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot that HP found Kicks. It's interesting because I found a kitten stuck in a cinderblock wall the other day and now she's mine and I wouldn't have minded a catfe that could have looked at my cat and answered questions. They could have told me I don't need KMR and she's old enough for just some decent kitten food, for instance, so I don't have to traumatize her by having to wash diarrhea off her long and luxurious coat of white fur four times in one day and she hated every bath more than the last and god drat did that bedroom reek for a few hours

I need a Kicks origin chapter. It could happen alongside a harrowing story of Tessga finding Matt and kidnapping him for a few hours, maybe. I don't know.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/

Updated. Love the effect their eyes have when they're transformed and talking to each other with shot-reverse shot.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I... I don't know what this means.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

I think it's a fair guess. Goops isn't actually very good at manipulation. Everything she's done to Undine has only driven her to be a more dedicated opponent. She failed to scare Kokoro off from helping, but only gave her a personal reason to get involved. She tried to seduce Tessa with power, and the only reason Tessa came to her is because she easily figured out Goops was lying but was wrong about what she really wanted.

It would be entirely fitting for what schemes she has to not only get away from her but prove to have never been in her control to begin with.

The second paragraph I agree with, but what I remember from the scene where Goops convinced Tessa to come out was the line "What do you have to look forward to?" I read that as a cruel and deft bit of manipulation to bring out Tessa's suicidality, and I can't think of another way of reading that. Undine being determined isn't what I would call the most likely reaction, either, and come to think of it, she'd be less productive about it if she didn't have Kokoro propping her up.

Calling Kokoro was a bad move though.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like my parents fighting.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
New page

Watch it turn out that HP just destroyed humanity. It didn't have to be this way, they'll tell the survivors after the time skip. All you had to do was be cool.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bussamove posted:

All the girls are worth caring about except Mark!

Fixed -- wait no, it didn't work.

Bussamove posted:

That being said I demand a Rue-centric chapter.

Yeah, though. Her whole perspective is interesting. Honestly, I would read her manifesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you ignore Undine's skirt edges in panel five and imagine she's not sitting, she looks like a morose femme nutcracker.