Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Shameful lack of love for Undine in here :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Heck yeah.

That perfectly sized step is the real MVP.

When there was only one set of footsteps in the sand, that was when I carried your entire ship.
- Step-senpai, probably

Apraxin posted:

Yeah I'll genuinely be a bit sad if she's dead*, it'd mean we get introduced to the first character who's got actual unsympathetic personality traits without being irredeemable/an actual monster, and then the very next chapter they die screaming and alone while getting owned by the plot in every conceivable way.

I'm good with it either way really. If she comes back, that's rad. IF she doesn't, I think it's a very effective and well told tragedy. She was an rear end in a top hat, but she didn't deserve this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To think out loud in a very tangential way that might make sense to maybe two people other than me:

Sometimes, Sleepless Domain gives me real Big O vibes. The isolated city, the "don't worry about it it's fine that's how it's always been" attitude of its residents, Tessa's eyes going all static-y when her perception is being hosed with reminds me a lot of Roger's episodic flashbacks/distortions in their aesthetic. Even purple hair girl's pale skin and affectless demeanor gives me Dorothea flashbacks. I dunno! I doubt Cagle is in any way ACTUALLY drawing on Big O but it's just a funny resemblance that sticks out to me sometimes.

Goops is Schwartzwald in this analogy or something :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hot take: Team Alchemical did nothing wrong, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and if Tess was there she probably would have died too

Doubt it. Goops’ powers appear to have limits or she wouldn’t have failed to kill Rue. She’s an opportunist, a vulture. And Tess was really really overpowered.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I love Bud she is such a horrible gremlin child.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crisis on Infinite Cagles

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm glad the actual best character has finally returned:

Stern Wakeup Penguin Alarm Clock

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'll take the freebie in that case, I'd rather have my avatar be a monument to impossibly cute magical girl comics than Severe Brain Spiders Red Text. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Ok great, I'll get it queued and let me know what you'd like for text!

"Right in the kokoro"

Some kind of dumb kokoro joke seems necessary.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

madjack posted:

Outrageous Apple and Forte Bass are twins. Huh.

E: Also, Bud is totally running cover for HP and Undine in that first panel.

Could be. Could be unrelated gossip too. Doctor Gossip's purview is all encompassing.

Edit: Really loving the detail that Forte Bass is mute and her twin is interpreting sign language for her :3:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 20, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

One thing I did not catch on my original readthrough is that Rue’s dad is Reed Bahia from Kiwi Blitz :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

There's gonna be so much awkward dancing around not knowing how public each other want to be with their relationship, isn't there?

Also Undine actually managing to be the smoother one about it.

Ten thousand years ago an alt text on this comic said that HP is basically a large dog in human form and it hasn’t stopped being true.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I like that, judging by the whispers, literally everyone but HP and Undine can immediately tell what's going on.

Sorta. Remember from what HPs manager said that the media has been running a will they won’t they angle for weeks now about Undine and HP and no one is sure if it’s a pity team up or a real thing. It’s an electric subject in the rumor mill.

These two chumpazoids just got the answer to a question that’s been on everybody’s mind first hand so they are probably deciding/gloating over which of them was right all along :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Honestly this is surprisingly good communication for a paira dinguses. The character's mental states are extremely readable and well communicated.

Panel 3&4 Kokoro: Trying to get a sense of where Undine's head is at on everything. Still a little paranoid about the dream.

Panel 6 Kokoro: Pretty wild. Is that good? BAD? DREAM REAL???

Panel 7: Unambiguous statement of feelings for anyone with context (pretty much just HP)

Not used to my magical girls being this competent not gonna lie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

aegof posted:

I forgot how strong that first panel was.

And by first panel you mean third, clearly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you reread the entire comic you will find that she does that a lot, even her cheery faces are hearts

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

So why are Undine and Zoe in the same class anyway, isn't Zoe a lot younger and has also only been going to this school for a few weeks?

Tough to say! My assumption would be “Undine has been a magical girl longer but that doesn’t mean she’s actually older and inconsistencies in when you get the dream means you get weirdness like that”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

The kids are alright but quick to forget Cassidy did basicly pull a knife out on 'dine.

Course, the creepiest thing to happen right now would be for her to show up and be just fine

To be fair it's been stated that there are theropists (and meds) involved, just how much 'dine is engaging with that in lieu of Goops Huntin', however, has not been disclosed.

There are therapists and meds involved for HP. Undine has explicitly copped to using neither of those things to Zoe. Which is a large part of the problem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

At the same time she’s kind of not wrong. It’s not her job to manage Tessa’s baggage and to weather insults and jibes on her behalf.

If there weren’t larger stakes at hand that Rue cannot reasonably be expected to know about I would say she’s making the right call.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

She's not exactly wrong. No one has to be there for someone who's mean to them. But she's not exactly right either. A comrade in arms suffering from PTSD lashed out at her with the express purpose of pushing her away. Acting like Tess is asking Rue to manage her emotions isn't particularly admirable.

To be clear, I'm not really criticizing Rue here. It's mostly funny that someone who feels very confident they see through the government's manipulations can not see through the paper thin manipulation of a traumatized teen. It has some resonance with what I see looking at irl conspiracy theorists prone to ranting about big government.

I think it's a big assumption that she isn't not seeing through it. Or that it even matters that it's manipulation! Because while yes, it's manipulation, more importantly it's Being A Huge rear end in a top hat.

It's like the old "haha I was just pretending to be an idiot" meme, after a point, why should you care?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm assuming Harold v Clemens involved a dead magical girl's family suing the city for some form of negligence, based on what little context we got.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’m not sure it’s a prosthetic but she definitely can’t open that eyelid as far as the other.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

“It’s probably impossible to make an effective anti-war film that heavily features war” is the growing consensus largely thanks to films like Full Metal Jacket and Starship Troopers. Audiences love the boot too much to comprehend.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Cassidy is a whole bundle of insecurities, lol.

Came here to post this exact sentence, was not disappointed that it was the very first post.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bud, it was literally not HPs place to reveal any of this to you. Chillllll.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Eh, remember that this is information about something that might directly threaten all of their safety, as demonstrated recently by one Cassidy.

Sure, when you think through the way this is tangled up with Undine's personal concerns, you can understand the secrecy. But I can absolutely understand Bud's immediate reaction of frustration here, now that she's put it into words like this.

Of course, Bud's need to feel knowledgeable is amplifying this, but it's not entirely unreasonable.

It's the "you didn't trust me with the way more important stuff" that pushes it into entirely unreasonable. Your framing is absolutely not the crux of Bud's issue, by her own (unintentional) admission.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

I think it's absolutely more important to tell people that a malicious entity targeting magical girls, with a confirmed body count, that is stalking the streets. I understand why HP didn't tell Bud but yeah, that's a really big detail to leave out. Had she known earlier I'm certain Bud feels like she could have prevented whatever fate they are imagining for Cassidy. The major through-line in this conversation is that everyone has varying levels of "in the know" and they kept and shared with each other different things. This has all led to the current conversation. It's very messy, someone is now dead and arguably they could not be dead, and everyone is trying to process this.

That is not the argument Bud is putting forth here. Re-read what I posted, you're not in the same conversation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

I am addressing that line. My post was about how Bud, the information queen, feels slighted for not being told something this important. I don't feel like that is pushing this into an unreasonable area because I feel she's correct on some level.

I don't think you're comprehending what you're reading as well as you think you are because Bud is talking about trust not the danger to others. That's why this is unreasonable. You, like others, are extrapolating Bud's words into an argument she is not making.

This is about Bud feeling slighted for not being trusted. Trust was never even a factor in the decision. It's understandable why she feels that way but understandable doesn't mean not wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hell yeah Undine

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I sincerely doubt Goops went after Cassidy for any other reason than being adjacent to one of her primary targets of interest and subsequently vulnerable. It was an opportunity hit, nothing more. Goops is, by her own implicit admission, killing time by killing magical girls until she gets her claws on Tessa and/or Undine.

The real mystery is still what is Goops and why does she have Hella Beef with Team Alchemical.

Personally I have vague theories that Goops is literally the person powering the nightly shield and her functionally eternal imprisonment is why she's Hella Mad but that's COMPLETELY speculative.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My impression of Cagle is that while she’s a big fan of Madoka that doesn’t mean she isn’t critical of it and its influence on the genre.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Just pallin' around with the murder goop monster, great times all around, only good things can come of this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

City looking like the intro to a PrimeThanatos Back to the 80s video right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The dude with the rat is from outside the city and finds the conditions the magical girls endure reprehensible. Can’t really say much more about the outside than that. Is he representative of anyone or anything? Is he basically a post apocalyptic nomad who happened across the city? We have no idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't see anything about Mark being from outside the city in his comics. He never tells Undine that, though he's pretty cagey. Does Anemone tell us that, or are we assuming based on his tech (which seems foolish given we've only followed magical girls for the most part, who wouldn't need it)?

It's implicit. He talks about inhabitants of the city as "locals" in his journal and regards magical girls as a strange and foreign practice.

He never says he's from outside the city, but everything about his behavior and speech implies it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Was it really a theory though? Lime was not subtle about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

There was some debate in the fandom over whether they'd actually dated or if Lime had just asked HP out and been turned down.

I wonder if it was a serious relationship. The way HP puts it implies it wasn't, but it was presumably years ago and they're still a bit awkward about it.

Little bit yeah on the awkwardness though I don’t think that’s what’s going on in your first link. If you look closely, HP has basically already checked out of the conversation after panel 4. She’s thinking about Undine looking for a partner, I don’t think she even heard the rest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Your aunt is adorable HP please be nicer to her

No but really I get it. Not the best circumstances. :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Y’all seem real intent on someone getting fingered for murder here when the child soldiers probably die horribly to monsters with alarming frequency.

Yeah they are waaaaaaaay too casual for this to involve any real belief in foul play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

New page.

Congratulations to Undine and her new child, Egg Friend.

Also to Mingxing and her star-eyes at Kokoro actually opening up to someone.

Yeah you can tell Star Aunt is delighted by this surprise sign of growth.

Star Aunt is good people so far. Not sure what to expect out of this conversation though.