Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial

So I've been watching the podcast episodes that Mary Cagle has been putting up on youtube where she and her friend discuss anime and RWBY. Mostly it's post-Meguca "dark" magical girl shows (plus the one made by Subaru the car company where the girls fly around on magical driveshafts), but the RWBY stuff has been holding my interest, as someone who has never watched it, because I am having trouble believing it's a real show

RWBY isn't a real show, haven't you been listening, Mary makes it very clear near the start of the episodes near the end of the season :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope Kokoro can get her parents back together before the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, so Goops just wanted control of the alt text all along

ConanThe3rd posted:

I beginning to think Goops!Tessa is more Tess than she was even prior to Team Alchemical getting chumped.

Also, given the code on this page "ENOUGH" "GO AWAY" I'm beginning to wonder just how in danger Anemone actually is.

Wait, there are codes?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is setting up for a big swerve and Anemone isn't the target at all, it's gonna be to make someone like the Woman in White or the mystery rat pop up and save her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
poo poo's either about to get real real, real fast, or Anemone did get wasted and this explosion is just what happens when she bites it.

e: I find it interesting that Anemone is in the page tags despite not really appearing, as it were. Maybe she's somehow been converted to pure energy?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 8, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Anemone's hair is visibly changing in style to be more WiW here. Are they the same person or is WiW a passenger to Anemone in the way that Goops is to Tessa?

Dunno but looking forward to finding out.

I would say it might have something to do with the barrier. If (as it looks like) Anemone is the source of the barrier, then her glow might just be her sucking that power back into herself. And the glow would especially fit now seeing as the barrier was stark white tonight.

Or she's going Super Saiyan. I'd say it's about 50/50 odds

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Joe Slowboat posted:

Anemone's clearly been impaled right through the midsection, and it doesn't seem to have slowed her down - just hurt. So I think Anemone is probably a bit weirder than your average magical girl, who seem to have basically human vulnerabilities, but with magical powers.

If anime has taught me anything it's that if you're powerful and/or pissed off enough, you can shrug off literally any wound short of decapitation, and Anemone is both right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda hoping that the interstitial would be Anemone turning to camera and going "NOT NOW" as a joke about other interstitials being her doing 4th wall breaks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Emrikol posted:

Goops-Tessa looking on with degrees of confusion, unease, and distress as Anemone exposits and muses upon some aspect of the setting to nobody.

"There's no one there!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BdH0-S6Ds&t=66s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

She looks both younger and more awake than she ever has before.

You'd be pretty awake too if you'd just been stabbed in the chest.

...Well, you'd be dead, but I'd imagine for like a second before you died you'd be pretty loving awake and pissed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am both concerned with what might happen if Anemone lost control, and yet I also want to see what happened the last time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"But I've seen them all" is a really cool battle line coming from someone with (partial) omniscience

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 6, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

Speaking of four hours.

We've floated the question of how long the inner barrier has been around, and how anemone herself seems to be quite old, but something I kind of wonder is if...the outer barrier is weakning over time? 4 hours is such a small amount of time (and 10-2 in particular) that it makes me wonder if the barrier might have used to last longer and if things continue, anemone might have needed to keep doing it longer and longer. The current crop of magical girls seems to have the 4 hour block pretty well internalized so I don't think its anything recent just..kinda wonder if maybe anemone started with oh you know maybe an hour a night. then 2. then 3...

Girl In White is...prrrrrobably the thing keeping the barrier going (that'd further recontextualize Anemone's first interlude about "Do we even need the outer barrier?" especialyl when combined with wanting to see her again). And assumedly girl in white = the golden animals, and goops said directly to her "you're getting weaker" so one could lead to the other if we keep this thought train going.

Well Anemone has referred to the whole current status quo as "unsustainable" a couple of times, though granted that could mean a lot of things since she's talking about more than just the barriers in those comics. But yeah it wouldn't shock me if the barrier's getting weaker. The question is whether the inner barrier itself is specifically is an unsustainable status. Maybe Anemone literally can't extend the barrier much longer or make it more powerful? I mean she seems super powerful right now when she's in rainbow mode but I'm betting that making the barrier uses a lot of juice, so maybe she just straight up can't do it for much longer than 4 hours.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is all leading to the shocking reveal that all this time, Vedika was actually capable of telekinesis in addition to telepathy and she just starts smashing monsters together like a whirlwind of destruction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No Anemone, don't power down until the main enemy is gone! That's like rule #1!

Twibbit posted:

Meta though, funny alt text normally isn't present when Goops is on scene

Well she isn't in frame I guess...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

I would love to see Anemone wax Gooptessa here. It's not going to happen, it's give Tessa her suicide by cop, and would make a mess out of the overall story arc, but Gooptessa needs that smirk wipes off her face.

:agreed:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I didn't see this kinda thing coming. It seems so obvious in hindsight.

I thought there might be some revelation where Vedika realizes she can fight monsters on the astral plane or some such bullshit, not that the monsters were in pain or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Has anyone ever mentioned what non-MG dreams are like? Because I’m getting some “nightmares made manifest” vibes now.

They haven't but I feel like based on that comic where the girls are discussing their Founder dreams, people just have normal dreams. Otherwise I feel like they'd be like "sure was nice to have a GOOD dream" or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar34 posted:

As we speak I'm drafting up a "goops did nothing wrong" post for the day the comic ends.

I mean at the end of the day she's still responsible for multiple deaths so good luck with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

On one hand, what a world... on the other where I am I supposed to go for sudden nightly craving for doritos!

Time to call for Magical Girl Munchie Deliverer!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looks like powering down from Rainbow mode is an effort for Anemone. Also confirmation that memory wipes work on everyone, even the omniscient.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thechosenone posted:

LIke short of Goops smashing her with a truck monster this screams 'teleported to another world' to me.

Trapped In Another World With My Smartphone Giant-rear end Pair of Scissors.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar34 posted:

Cassidy is never coming back though, let's be real.

I feel like she has to at some point though. Both Goops and Anemone seemed kinda puzzled at the way she bit it. It's too much of an oddity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mary knows exactly what she's doing putting the character poll up in the middle of this adorable side story. Rigged voting!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Would KH Cassidy have two keys on the end of her scissors or just have a shitload of Nomura-style zippers on top of her normal look?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

I wonder if Mingxing will get to them before they do the announcement tonight. Swap clues before going on air; she was investigating in the archives so she might have found something useful to share.

I feel like almost certainly they will. I mean, most people think of the monsters as just that, monsters. Just wild beasts. Telling people that there is one that is acting with purpose, can direct other monsters, and (so far) can't be stopped will cause mass panic. But saying that the monster might also be a dark magical girl is gonna also cause mass paranoia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Two blades that don't connect but are held like scissors just for style is on brand for both Cassidy and KH.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-20

HP next page: Trust me, I tried!

Audience: uproarous laughter

HP: "Funny you mentioned that, we did, she looks like a lot of other magical girls, and we have no idea who or where she is!"

Undine: "She really has it out for me in particular!"

HP: "She may walk among us!"

Audience: dead silence

HP: "ummm, also, me and Undine are dating now"

Audience : dead silence followed by furious applause

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah poo poo's about to get way more crazy than your average late-night show is supposed to be

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Host tugging collar intensifies as Undine makes poo poo get way realer than talk shows are supposed to go.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

isasphere posted:

Turns out the most effective strategy from team Destroy The City was to shake Anemone's self-confidence. :(

"Other people do interstitials now and Tessa even talked cryptically to the camera (or near it), like that's my whole thing! What am I even good for anymore? :("

e: it's been a while since I checked in on the comic and noticed the blue is even getting wiped out from behind the logo! (or maybe it's always been that way and I only now noticed with this plot development)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Don’t go shattering her worldview like that.

That last panel has the look of "don't threaten me with a good time" to me

"We'll have to punch things? Oh noooooo what will we dooooo"