Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw this thread the day it went up, was reminded of this comic and thought I should finally get around to reading it. Then checked the General Webcomics thread, which I had last checked sometime last year, and in the posts around where I resumed I saw a lot of SD chat. Then jumped to like twenty or thirty pages before the then-current one and almost immediately ran into even more SD chat.

And now today I finally went and binged the comic after having opened up the first page and leaving the tab open for two days. Am glad I've done so; it's pretty good.

Prediction: Gloopy ends up going and telling Undine what she did to Cassidy, to make her feel even worse and push her further from everyone else. Also Cassidy is super dead and not coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm kind of curious what the people who thinks she's not dead think happened instead. Just breaking it down logically:

1. Cassidy's power splits her into two copies, and if one is destroyed the other becomes her real body again.
2. Both of her bodies were destroyed at once, leaving nowhere for her real body to appear.

So... Where is she now? If losing both bodies just made her real body reappear elsewhere, then her power was effectively immortality without drawbacks as long as she had the magic to keep using it, which seems both beyond what we've seen any of the girls able to do and also just incongruous with the way the rest of it works both mechanically and thematically (and arguably makes losing both bodies at once more advantageous since it gets her to safety instead of leaving her in a vulnerable state until she can snip herself in half again). Also Anemone in this latest page seems to be shooting that down anyway, unless Cass appeared far away from here, which feels like a really cheap fakeout whether it's an excuse for her to eventually return or just to have her out of the story but not actually be dead.

If you don't think that Mary's doing that, then, you basically have only one answer for where Cassidy is now: Nowhere. She's either dead, or in a state that may as well be death; she might be in some weird liminal state between life and death, like being trapped in the same realm as the woman in white (which means that she could perhaps appear in a dream or something and still have some direct influence down the line, beyond just the ripple effects of her actions and disappearance, and maybe even return at some point), but she is very much Not Here anymore, whatever the specifics of that entail. She's gone. Cassidy is not anymore.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 22, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kennel posted:

Make Cassidy win the popularity poll, so she has to be brought back!

Prediction: Cassidy wins/does well in the poll, and her panel in the comic about it is empty except stating what place she got.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apraxin posted:

No idea. I think you pretty much covered the possibilities, most of them at this point would be a cop-out that I'm sure Cube wouldn't do. I guess maybe stuck in the barrier, or with the WiW or something, hypothetically?

The only thing that still gives me pause about agreeing 'yeah, dead, gone, can't argue with that' is that if I was someone who just read the comic by itself and didn't know anything about the creator's social media or meta comments, then a death scene where both clone bodies disintegrate leaving no trace, when it was deliberately unexplained where her meat body goes or where her actual consciousness is when the clones are out, followed by the villain going 'huh, that sure was odd wasn't it?' and then the knowing-but-not-entirely-omniscient narrator being 'yes that was very unusual, but let me say that i can't sense the character's presence anymore, so you the reader should certainly assume that they no longer exist' would be a big flashing siren that there was more to it than the face value.

But then Cube's always up front that she hates a lot of common tropes and is always willing to kill characters when she thinks it's necessary, so...

I think that some sort of "body gone, mind's still somewhere" scenario is plausible, but when people say "not dead" I've usually taken it as her still having a living body and all. Part of the barrier, hanging out with the woman in white, and so on, seem reasonable (though not guaranteed; I'd lean towards her just being dead-dead and if she's still around in some state it won't have a direct impact on events) to me, but aren't quite the same. Though I guess that gets into semantics about what "dead" and "not dead" mean exactly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doubt it. Goops’ powers appear to have limits or she wouldn’t have failed to kill Rue. She’s an opportunist, a vulture. And Tess was really really overpowered.

Yeah, people might be forgetting because it happened so fast and wasn't the focus compared to the state the girls were in, but Tessa one-shot the monster that mortally wounded Undine and outright killed the rest of her team. It went from "unharmed" to "nonexistent" within seconds of her arrival. At the very least, an entirely different approach would have been needed to kill Team Alchemical if Tessa had been there, because the time it took the elevator monster to raise up and drop the team would have probably been enough time for Tessa to annihilate it.

Heartful Punch has stated something similar re: Goopy, actually; when telling Undine about the threatening call she received, she pointed out that her getting threats to buzz off is a pretty good sign that Goopy doesn't want her around, but can't easily do something about it personally. If she could, she'd just do that, but her attempt to do that failed, which is why she made that call after that; it was a tacit admission that she can't handle HP and the newly-empowered Undine together.

Goops is a threat, and a serious one at that, but she's not all-powerful; in fact, her operations have grown less ambitious as the comic has gone on. First she ambushed Team Alchemical while they were lacking their leader and heaviest hitter, killing three and leading to said leader giving her powers up. Then she went for Undine and Kokoro together, relying on the former to be enough of a distraction that her minions could kill the latter despite Kokoro's absurd power letting her run solo normally. That failed, and next she went for Rue, a well-rounded but not super-powerful solo magical girl (and friend of Tessa, who she still seems to be targeting in addition to or as part of her obsession with Undine despite Tess not having powers anymore), which similarly failed when Zoe showed up and saved her. So then she went for Cassidy, someone who was actively avoiding her allies and in a really bad mental space, making her easy to distract and kill despite having a pretty crazy power set and seeming to be pretty strong herself. (That she did it on a night where an abundance of monsters would help make sure that no one wandered in and ruined her plans is probably because of how her attack on Rue was thwarted, too, whether she was directly responsible for the surge or just taking advantage of it. Further evidence that she's aware of her limitations and that the scope of her attacks is narrowing, or at least being refined towards minimizing risk even if the reward is similarly reduced, rather than expanding.) And even that ended with a blade in her eye, despite otherwise being a success.

Speaking of, unless she keeps her left side buried in the wall or something, next time we see Goopy we'll get to see if Cass actually did permanent damage to her or not with her final attack. Her, well, goopy nature suggests not, but we don't know what exactly she is; she might be sporting a(n even more) hosed up face for the rest of the comic, or at least a good while, as the price of killing everyone's favorite Creamsicle-colored magical girl

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 23, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized something. Zoe's going to definitely tell Rue about this, since it'd be irresponsible not to. Rue actually saw Goopy herself, meanwhile; when she was getting pincered by the two halves of the bug, Goops poked her hand out of the ground and guided one of them to her, which Rue saw, though she obviously lacked the necessary information to know the significance of the weird purple hand she saw.

I wonder if that'll lead to something important. Rue's the only person besides Undine (and kind of Anemone but she doesn't count) to have actually seen Goopy (and lived); if she makes the connection between what Zoe is (probably) going to tell her and what she saw, that might lead to her actually trying to get in touch with other magical girls besides Zoe. Or maybe not; even if she does make the connection it might not seem like as big a deal to her as it actually is.

Also nobody actually knows that Cassidy is dead, technically. Cassidy's encounter with Goopy is still unknown to anyone besides those involved and the audience (and, again, Anemone, who still doesn't count).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Starting to put the pieces together, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, you know, super-powered fighting is bad and really dangerous both for those involved and probably those around them, especially when the ones fighting are, as stated, teenagers with poor impulse control.

There doesn't even need to be anything suspicious for them to have the position, "magical girls really, really shouldn't be fighting each other".