Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless domain is a story about magical girls.

A great barrier protects the city from the nightmares lurking beyond. Within, everyone can live out safe and comfortable lives - except for a few hours around midnight, when the outer barrier weakens and monsters roam the city streets, trying to break into the buildings and prey on the people inside.

The inner barrier protects the city buildings themselves, but it needs to be guarded by magical girls - teenagers who were given a dream, in which they were granted their power. Although, like all dreams, no one remembers all the details.
Each night, hundreds of girls risk their lives in defence of the city. In return, they are celebrated; the whole city follows their lives and exploits. Everyone has their favourites, and shows their support by buying their merchandise. Such is life for a magical girl.

Undine, known by her title of Alchemical Water, was once part of Team Alchemical - until a patrol goes bad and she is left the only one still active. Now she's looking for the strange apparition that taunted her as she lay dying. She joins up with Heartful Punch, a very successful solo girl, as she tries to make sense of how her world works and keep everyone around her safe.

Sleepless Domain is written and drawn by Mary Cagle, of Kiwi Blitz and Let's Speak English fame. Weaving together rich characters, dark mysteries and pretty outfits, if the idea of a magical girl story that isn't aimed at children or paedophiles appeals to you, give it a read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Did everyone see Cagle’s art of Undine if she were Alchemical Air? The Team Alchemical scheme is just adorable.

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1281355837492142083

Very cute, although blue matches her complexion better in my opinion.

I was rereading the comic recently and actually went through figuring out the cipher code that appears on the inner barrier sometimes. It was kind of fun, although until you figure out the first letter it's pretty tricky since it doesn't have spaces.

It also implies the barrier - or something in charge of it - is sentient enough to try sending messages to the girls, that can't read them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Apraxin posted:

my thoughts on that one character we're putting in spoilers

me reading the comic: no body, ambiguous magic powers, yeah this is a bait-and-switch, Cass's coming back

me reading the author's comments on twitter/patreon: oh wow Cass's actually loving dead

me thinking too much about the author's comments on twitter/patreon: she's being really flip about this honestly pretty grim event while sidestepping direct 'she ded y/n?' questions, there has to be some sort of twist, right?

in short, comic good and i genuinely have no idea what the answers to any of the current mysteries are gonna be

Honestly, I think it's going to take a while for the cast to even realise what happened to her - no one was watching and she didn't leave a body, so no one has a reason to believe anyone died that night other than the fact she doesn't come home after. And she was already avoiding people after that big blow-out, so it'll probably take a while and a lot of rumour-spreading for people to figure out what happened to her.

Then, once it's finally sunk in to everyone that she's dead, will be the perfect time to reveal that she is in fact still alive.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget the golden creature that's chasing Goops around too. They're definitely connected somehow. Possibly it's the woman in white's corporeal form, in which case that exchange tracks pretty well with your theory.

I have a feeling that Goops is part of the barrier in some way, though. The way she melts into it, she's never separate, and she doesn't materialise outside of the hours it's active.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

I don't think anyone will be surprised by that answer, but it's still very cute.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh drat, early update.

Now this one I didn't see coming!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

How long before Bud finds out?

Minus three seconds.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If being the thread creator gives me any authority on it, there's no need to spoiler-tag speculation and there's no need to spoiler-tag the story either unless you're talking about a page that only just went up.

I reckon we're going to see a chapter about Tessa next because all of the other protagonists are in a pretty good place right now. Rue and Zoe are working together and benefiting from it, and Undine and Kokoro have got together and there's room for a delay before the chickens come home to roost about Cassidy (since no one will know what happened to her). Meanwhile Tessa has this big dangling plot thread about Goops offering her something, and that was three chapters ago.
It's really hard to imagine what she might want out of her, though, since her only motivation so far has been killing magical girls and as bad a place as Tessa is in she's got no reason to want to be a part of that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thinking back to Interstitial 5, Anemone seems to have settled on the idea that the system can't last. I kind of get the impression it's not entirely due to Goops, but that could be read either way.

Still. I look forward to the rest of the story, now things are starting to kick up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Anemone is saying, as literally as she can, "readers, please be aware that Cassidy is loving dead." There's no game here.

Fans: "Ah, I see, this means Anemone isn't actually omniscient!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, Undine and Kokoro are cute.

I'm probably going to be saying that a lot in the coming chapters.

Also Bud has a nice hat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Courtesy of the SD discord, write-ins that didn't get included in the final count:

(Malee is a fan character, the rest are cut off for too few votes)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

Are the previous popularity surveys available?

2019 poll

2018 poll

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

Hm. Alarm set for 10 AM. Guess school starts pretty late for Magical Girls.

School starts at 11 for them iirc, but in turn they have to go seven days a week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Harley has similarly irisless eyes! They both have very dark colours so I think they're just basically black and drawn that way to not look too cute (which wouldn't fit either of their aesthetics).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

We have a title page!

"Ripples" could mean consequences of what has happened so far, such as with Cassidy, or perhaps the initial signs of big trouble to come...

Hopefully we get some more cute Undine and Kokoro scenes first though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

This is setting up to be a good chapter, I can't wait to see how it goes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like it was a rough night for everyone too, a couple of those background characters are sporting some scratches.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Guess Bud hasn't totally recovered from last night. And it's good to see her gossip network in action!

I assume this is all happening in five minutes or so while Harley is in the bathroom.

Apple and Bass being twins is cute. :3:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

Is this the first indication we got that other magical girls also saw the bird running around? And that it happens often enough that Bud is inquiring into / suspicious about it?

Team Outrageous was following it when we first saw them in chapter 9. Which is probably why it was already a topic of note between Apple and Bud.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

Looks like HP's fan club is still around; the ones that didn't join the training club, that is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

Does any official magical girl training happen at the school, or is it mostly "You guys figure it out, we're just here to provide you education"?

Not that we've seen, they're just left to their own devices for figuring out their powers. The city is really laissez-faire with the magical girls given how much they rely on them. Possibly in the hopes that by giving them enough autonomy they can convince everyone that they aren't children. And possibly not giving them an authority to rebel against; these are teenagers we're talking about.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do the magical girls even get paid for their efforts and protecting the city?

What about retirement benefits, healthcare? is there a magical girl Union which negotiates with the city?

These are all important questions!

It is apparently canon (from Cagle talking on the Discord and such) that magical girls don't get any sort of salary or anything. Any money they make comes from licencing their image - unless they die in action, in which case their family gets a bereavement payout.

The city is some sort of social democracy so healthcare is probably free. Probably their school too?

Trying to imagine forming a union out of teenagers, though. And you thought student politics was bad...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The only real judge we have of how often the girls die in this setting is that Kokoro said it had been "a while" since something as bad as what happened to Team Alchemical happened, and since then everyone knew about it. So three members of the same team getting killed at once is big news and not at all common.

But it's not a surprise - the magical girls are effectively conducting a war, and it's not a shock when soldiers die occasionally, except to people directly affected. We might get a better judge of how frequent deaths are this chapter, since we know there was at least one death last night and with the amount of injuries we're seeing in the background characters there might well have been others.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I can’t be the only one who’s absolutely certain that “what’s up with Tessa’s weird symbol” and “why is Goopy so pissed” have the same answer, right?

Her symbol is pretty close to the alchemical symbol for arsenic, if there's any meaning to be drawn from that.

There's a bit of a running theory that Tessa somehow artifically got powers for herself after feeling left out when all of her friends had become magical girls as a complete thematic team together.

One interesting thing is that, when she was Alchemical Aether, the centre of her eyes was gold. Now while this was also true of Fire and Earth, it fit with their colour schemes, while it doesn't fit with Aether's pink; it's more similar to Kokoro's blue yes and Undine's pink glows now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's gonna be so much awkward dancing around not knowing how public each other want to be with their relationship, isn't there?

Also Undine actually managing to be the smoother one about it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are you meaning to imply that Cassidy isn't totally okay?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

I feel like no one is going to know anything about Cassidy for at least like...a day.
She didn't leave a body, her team didn't see her and no one saw her on patrol. I could also see magical girls not coming home after the barrier comes back being common enough that her parents (or the dorm? we dont know much about her family situation) dont think much about it until the day goes on and people still dont hear anything about Cassidy.

And even then it'll probably just be marked "missing" since the few deaths we've seen from monsters dont imply they'd just eat them.

Coming home a bit late is probably not rare, but not coming home at all without a phone call is probably cause for alarm. Girls might occasionally have reasons to stay over at a safety centre for the night but from what we've seen they're pretty dilligent about making sure their families know about it. Cassidy's parents have probably contacted the officials to ask after where she is, because this is gonna be a pretty terrifying scenario.

However since no one actually has evidence she even went out that night, it might well take the day or so just to rule out her being anywhere else.

I would assume a girl disappearing without leaving a body anywhere is probably close to unprecedented. We did see a monster nearly eat Kokoro back in chapter 9, but they don't seem to be biological in any way so I think it might have just mangled her body if it had managed it rather than, like, digest it in some way.

Oh boy, gets you wondering if a team has ever taken out a monster to discover it's a meat pinata.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, it's cute that Undine is comfortable enough to tease her girlfriend.

Also Kokoro is still insecure about what strangers think of her!

In case anyone is lost to where this came from, here's some past pages:
Kokoro is insecure about people liking her
Zoe is awkward around strangers
Really awkward

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 3, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So why are Undine and Zoe in the same class anyway, isn't Zoe a lot younger and has also only been going to this school for a few weeks?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Love the combined sense of relief and impending doom on Undine's part.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They're such a couple, even if they're not actually a couple.

I mean, they might be? Bud touches Harley at pretty much any opportunity she gets, that's pretty affectionate.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The SD discord runs a sort of loot box gacha game thing in one of its channels, the cards for which are based on those. Here they are:

(Undine isn't on there because this was before they kissed, and Mary doesn't like pulling a Rowling on her characters)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

This shoe is dropping.

Also...

Lettuce

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bud winking poses so many questions.

And she totally knows about Undine and Kokoro.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Back when we first saw her reporting that Undine was looking for a team and Lime had a boyfriend, that's all information she could have got from a single chat with the twins!

She's just got a good network. Presumably heard from Kokoro's fans that she called Undine her partner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm in two minds about her honestly

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cassidy puns aside, I like the little chibi look in the third panel. It's very cute. Looks like something you could assemble out of lego figures or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kind of impressed how quickly Mary got out the second page this week.

It's time to play the blame game! Who is really at fault? I'm gonna make an out-there vote for Miss Nasri, since if she hadn't booked Kokoro to be too busy to turn up to the club Cassidy would never have confronted Undine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Undine told her manager back in chapter 14 that she is seeing a therapist now. Of course, this current situation has unfolded so fast she hasn't had a chance to talk to them about it.

Meanwhile
https://twitter.com/krekalie/status/1309476347488608256

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 27, 2020