Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a week from now some weird ribbony monsters based on the fear of being alone shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's a theory, unrelated to cass, that I had on discord back when this page showed up https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-24

"It's too bad you're one of hers, we might have gotten along"

and then thought about again after this page https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-29
"I hope it's not a sign of things outside getting worse"

Which I assume is "outside the town"

The "her" is almost certainly the important golden girl who hands out the dreams & manifests as the tiny golden animals . And Goops is clearly set as her opposite, right? And all the monsters, that she can both control & seemingly spawn, are based on fears according to cagle. So it'd make sense that if light girl is Dreams then Goops would be nightmares.

So...What if Goops can give her own "dream" (nightmare) to people. Specifically, I wonder if she's given out her "dreams' to people outside the barrier. The barrier cant keep her from messing with people (stalking, phone calls, physically interacting, sending monsters) but it's enough that she can't normally get inside people's heads.

And as for what her dream would do, "dark magical girl" is one option but one I keep thinking of is maybe whatever it does allows her to generate the monsters and it attempts to propagate from there. But the monsters might just be a means to an end, too.

possibly related:
* When you get lightly attacked you get full of screamy nightmare mouths. Zoe's cousin is still out of sorts and describes it all as a "bad dream", with the mother clarifying that nightmares like that happen with monster attacks https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-11-page-7
* prolonged exposure just totally fucks you up. Melty eyes, death, the works.
* Undine's about to have a lovely nightmare and Gold Girl intervenes and puts a stop to that https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-25
* While Tessa isnt the first time a girl's had her powers transferred (getting pregnant while a magical girl, for example) the way its presented I think the way she did it might have completely cut her off from Gold Girl. She's having pretty awful nightmares and while that might just be you know...trauma & depression...it seems notable that Gold Girl cannot intervene in her dreams anymore https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-16 and I think that's specifically what has her on Goops radar

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget the golden creature that's chasing Goops around too. They're definitely connected somehow. Possibly it's the woman in white's corporeal form, in which case that exchange tracks pretty well with your theory.

I have a feeling that Goops is part of the barrier in some way, though. The way she melts into it, she's never separate, and she doesn't materialise outside of the hours it's active.

Yeah I assume the girl & the animal are the same.

For goops being part of the barrier, I'm not sure. I think her never separating from it is just a part of her slinking in the shadows. Monsters can't get in the greater barrier during the day either, so I also assume she's more linked to the night.
ah, actually...in that page you linked where she talks about growing stronger. Is that the first time we've seen more than her head show up out of the goop?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Remember whoever gets last gets gooped

the dark magical girl was under our noses this entire time....

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I went with Anemone, Undine, Rue, Bud, & Zoe

It was very hard figuring out if Kokoro got on here

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ngl it was incredibly tempting to write in "Cassidy's grave stone"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

*live studio audience voice* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I assume that even if she's dead For Real (& i think she is) they'll still find out more about her to add to the tragedy and the characters will probably have a big talk about how things could have gone what they might have done etc

There will probably be a "redemption" for her as they come to understand her after its too late to have done anything.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Apraxin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9QiXOWy0s

Mary/Cube's said a couple of times that this is a big Cassidy Mood song. Dunno if it goes any deeper than that.

You'd think after reading kiwi blitz i'd figure out this was a song lyric and not some oblique lore reference to being a magical girl

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Guys I'm not sure but I think this Cassidy person might be dead

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

And here's the results of the OTHER poll https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/blog/the-goldies

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's some more eye imagery

to non-magical-girls, a slight scratch from a monster has them all exit from, in addition to your mouth and the wound itself, your eyes https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-20
a full on death sentence melts them entirely https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-27 https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-29

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

maltesh posted:

I imagine the rest of Team Flash will probably be asking about her.

Which is an interesting question of itself - Was there a reason, besides her anger at getting called out over Undine, that she wasn't with Team Flash on that fateful night?

From how much she emphasized the importance of the club to her one gets the feeling she didn't get along with her team at all* so being in a bad mood probably made an easy excuse to ditch this night. Probably a "well THEY dont care either so who cares about them" type thing

*And at least on one of them, that feeling seemed mutual judging by the sarcasm dripping from "her special cool kids club"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I could see this mostly being a fluffy chapter that ends with the "hey, cassidy [and some other girls maybe] is totally missing and considered dead" stinger that gets undine & HP to tell the rest of the club

which they were going to do anyway but this is more dramatic

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno, there's so little to go on for Goops anger and so littel attention paid to Tessa's power thus far.

It COULD mean....something, I guess. Her mark is all the other team's marks overlaid. Her power is noted several times as being extremely OP and kind of offputtingly so (super powerful lasers AND healing powers and who knows what else), to the point yo ususpect a power as strong as that doesn't happen very often. And Goops IS interested in Tessa post-depowering.

But it could also be unrelated and I wouldn't be surprised. Goops is angry at a lot of things and seems to pull out vendettas against girls at the drop of the hat. So maybe she just sees an "in" to further mayhem and getting back at the gold girl.

e: Also I feel like gold girl would probably be more emotional at losing the connection with Tessa if her power was in some way really important

e2: I remember the last time I used them interchangable I confused people so fyi I consider the golden animal and the girl in white to basically be the same thing. So I usually go with "gold girl" as just shorthand.

rannum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 23, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Her symbol is pretty close to the alchemical symbol for arsenic, if there's any meaning to be drawn from that.

There's a bit of a running theory that Tessa somehow artifically got powers for herself after feeling left out when all of her friends had become magical girls as a complete thematic team together.

One interesting thing is that, when she was Alchemical Aether, the centre of her eyes was gold. Now while this was also true of Fire and Earth, it fit with their colour schemes, while it doesn't fit with Aether's pink; it's more similar to Kokoro's blue yes and Undine's pink glows now.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-1-cover

I feel like Sally/Fire's irises are more weird than Aether's. Aether (& most of the squad, actually) at least has gold highlights throughout, but their primary eye color matches their outfit/power. Sally meanwhile has a thin red outline and then gold eyes/brown irises.

e: Ah looking at some later pages this might've just been an early art mistake, making the golds too bright on Sally. It's more "firey" yellow/red after the first chapter.

rannum fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I like that, judging by the whispers, literally everyone but HP and Undine can immediately tell what's going on.

[later]

Hey HP...is it true that.......you & undine........................are finally making a team together?!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like no one is going to know anything about Cassidy for at least like...a day.
She didn't leave a body, her team didn't see her and no one saw her on patrol. I could also see magical girls not coming home after the barrier comes back being common enough that her parents (or the dorm? we dont know much about her family situation) dont think much about it until the day goes on and people still dont hear anything about Cassidy.

And even then it'll probably just be marked "missing" since the few deaths we've seen from monsters dont imply they'd just eat them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

need the bonus page at the end to be a super cut of cassidy staring daggers at undine wondering what her deal is just coming to school like nothing's wrong

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Time to solve a mystery, gang

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Undine told her manager back in chapter 14 that she is seeing a therapist now. Of course, this current situation has unfolded so fast she hasn't had a chance to talk to them about it.

Meanwhile
https://twitter.com/krekalie/status/1309476347488608256

Turns out vedika was the TRUE secret bitch smh

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kokoro I'm pretty sure the issue of her being a big fan of yours would only ever become an obvious problem to you once an obvious problem arises

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Or people who didn't get enough magical girl coverage or weren't able to properly evacuate their house.

side note i hope we see Silvia's family at some point and that they're not screwed out of the money their daughter died for

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

thanks to mutual wrong turns, goops winds up at rayuba while incubus winds up in the sleepless domain city that i dont think has a name

shenanigans ensue

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zoe will probably be here for this too, which lets this plot point [eventualy] intersect with Rue, who is probably the only other girl who's definitely seen any part of goops (much less directly commanding a monster)

everything's coming together

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

No, and Mary is rather cagey about putting numbers to anything in the comic. I think she's wary of people mathsing together off-hand comments to pick holes in the plot.

They're definitely not common, though. My guess is around 1%.

Yeah it's one of those things where all the questions like that are probably just "enough"

how big is the city? ...enough to support industry, production, transit, a wide assortment of establishing shots
how long has this situation been in place? ....enough for it to be a normal factor of everyone's life!
how many magical girls are there? ....enough of them (goops voice: too many of them)

Which I don't blame her for because that's a lot of in the weeds minutia that's probably real easy to mess up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

gabby just off panel also listening to all this: drat, sounds rough

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think the workout club could still be together, they don't need to literally go on to make a team and Vedika, Bud & Harley would likely still be important characters regardless.

Also Undine has gone through enough guilt as-is, her revelations breaking up the entire group (except zoe i guess) would suck rear end imo

e: Also also, I joked about Gabby before but I think we're going to get some more out of her before the night's done regardless, they put a spotlight on how she specifically felt abotu Cassidy mroe than just being a grumpus https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-09
gabby to replace tessa in the icons as the 5th member

rannum fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 8, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cassidy definitely in the process of editing a vedika call out video when she got ganked

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-30

about as innocuous as i figured this would be

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-31

Bud's getting pretty annoyed with all these secrets

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I bet Zoe is having second thoughts about attending this club right now.

zoe next page, wanting to fit in: I-I teamed up with another girl who doesnt even go to the school!

bud: not what I meant

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly Cassidy felt like a timebomb waiting to happen no matter the scenario. I mean we have the current one, of course. Undine told no one but it weighed on her mind so much that it leaked to Vedika and an innocuous comment was jumped on as an excuse to confirm her own suspicions.

but if Undine did tell everyone, I don't think Cassidy would have believed her at all. Even Bud's got a hard time taking all this in and she's fairly levelheaded, Cassidy's got a bunch of chips on her shoulders as-is. "Oh so we're just supposed to BELIEVE that someone pulled the strings and got all your friends killed?", that kind of thing

And lets say Undine didn't tell everyone as before, but also vedika didn't get Goop Vibes, Cassidy probably still would have confronted Undine eventually out of combination of jealousy and suspicion over Undine's entire situation.

Undine telling everyone is still for the best in the long term (though, again, I hope that this doesnt compltely break up the group because this rollercoaster of "hey this is nice THIS loving SUCKS this is niTHIS loving SUCKS" over the past in-universe day is enough as is and I'd like Undine to have longer standing nice time) but Cassidy was probably a foregone conclusion.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just reacting to a bit of what you said, but I think Bud normally seems levelheaded because she strives to avoid this exact situation of being blindsided by new information. She's probably the most agitated one in the room.

There's probably something to be said for how smoothly she handled Cassidy vs how agitated she is here.
Pretty curious how this all plays it over the coming pages

Also kind of a fun reversal on this page https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-18
now bud's gettin' spicy!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I just realized something. Zoe's going to definitely tell Rue about this, since it'd be irresponsible not to. Rue actually saw Goopy herself, meanwhile; when she was getting pincered by the two halves of the bug, Goops poked her hand out of the ground and guided one of them to her, which Rue saw, though she obviously lacked the necessary information to know the significance of the weird purple hand she saw.

I wonder if that'll lead to something important. Rue's the only person besides Undine (and kind of Anemone but she doesn't count) to have actually seen Goopy (and lived); if she makes the connection between what Zoe is (probably) going to tell her and what she saw, that might lead to her actually trying to get in touch with other magical girls besides Zoe. Or maybe not; even if she does make the connection it might not seem like as big a deal to her as it actually is.
I think Rue will make the connection provided Zoe tells her soon (though she might not; she's the only one here not within a team with each other and Undine's not gabbin' to gabby so she might feel the need to keep it a secret still). It's a pretty distinct sight and I assume that part of Undine's explanation is how Goops seems to have control over them. Considering this is the reason she almost died had it not been for Zoe, I think it'd be weirder if she just brushed it off as coincidental.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-32

"That is NOT what this is about

Also HP should have told me about all this extremely personal burdens undine took like 3 weeks to share with HP in the first place"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Bud is being a butt here, and it's very interesting how much it's echoing Cassidy being a butt. Hopefully this time things go better.
At the very least I imagine Harley (regardless of how responsible HP & Undine may/may not feel inclined to go after her if she runs off in a huff) isn't about to let Bud, her partner, go off alone so the immediate fall out to this will probably not be Cassidy 2: Literally One Night Later Edition

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bud also isn't accusing Undine of anything untoward or malicious, so I think this will be resolved amicably.
I think it will be resolved, again I dont think Harley is going to let her go off alone and I think given time Bud will cool off, but...honestly I think Bud centering this on HP is what rubs me the wrong way. She's not mad that Undine didn't tell everyone sooner (which would make sense in the moment but we the readers & HP would know how much she was agaonizing over getting others involved), she's not mad that HP didn't tell the group sooner (which absolves Undine but kind of unfairly puts HP on the hosteat in a way that, again, makes sense to be mad about when you're frustrated despite the circumstances), she's mad that HP did not tell her specifically.
It leaves Harley, Cassidy, Vedika and anyone else who would've joined their group out entirely while also getting HP to ignore any wishes of Undine to pass on that info.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TheHan posted:

I like that the girls fighting has made the thread fight.

Sleepless Domain: The Threads Are Fightinggggggg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-33 link

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hell yeah Undine

came here to post exactly this