Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Mary Cagle is so prolific and even has a twitter for her cats!
https://twitter.com/CagleCats/status/978001542056837121

Don't scroll past this post, that's no ordinary cat Twitter account! Mary takes in baby orphaned kittens from shelters and raises them until they're big enough to be adopted out. One even ended up being internet famous! (Do a google image search for Latte Cagle, all of the top pics are adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

If being the thread creator gives me any authority on it, there's no need to spoiler-tag speculation and there's no need to spoiler-tag the story either unless you're talking about a page that only just went up.

I reckon we're going to see a chapter about Tessa next because all of the other protagonists are in a pretty good place right now. Rue and Zoe are working together and benefiting from it, and Undine and Kokoro have got together and there's room for a delay before the chickens come home to roost about Cassidy (since no one will know what happened to her). Meanwhile Tessa has this big dangling plot thread about Goops offering her something, and that was three chapters ago.
It's really hard to imagine what she might want out of her, though, since her only motivation so far has been killing magical girls and as bad a place as Tessa is in she's got no reason to want to be a part of that.

My guess is she just wants to straight up kill Tessa and Tessa has a death wish right now.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kennel posted:

Next comic:

Teacher: Sadly one of your classmates, Cassidy, has died.
Undine: Phew, that was a freebie!

"Ms. Wells, you were one of the last people to see her alive, you two had just had a fight, and you straight up killed that reporter."

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

TheHan posted:

Glasses girl has me wondering if there are magical girls out there who got the dream but didn't realize it since they looked the same.

Pretty sure that's Snoozy.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

It's worth noting that this isn't out of left field at all: we've already seen some of Kokoro's bitterness towards the government during the scene where she explains her backstory to Undine on the rooftop. She seems a bit jaded about them, between how they avoid talking about things like basic magical girl biology poo poo to preserve their image...

... and how they easily snapped up a vulnerable young teen (preteen?) who had just gotten her powers and was arguing with her single father, to take advantage of those powers for their own benefit.

So she definitely has established reasons to mistrust the CDD, and to feel pessimistic about the possibility of them taking action here, given how much they care about preserving the image of perfect magical girls. An evil anti-magical girl doesn't really gel with that image.

This is true, but she also acts like this with nearly every adult and/or authority figure she comes across from her RA to the nurse who gave her the paper to write a note to Undine at the hospital. Judging from the look on her face she hasn't talked to her dad in a long time either.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
It's one of those scenes where mood is more important than where the sun is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

These are all really good points. Especially combined with this page:

Lines like "she uses her powers as an excuse to boss us around" and "she thinks she's actually more important than us". I think in some ways, Tessa did get used to feeling as if she was better than those around her, because things came easier to her, and her self-esteem became heavily predicated upon that. Like obviously she cares about her friends and isn't a narcissist or anything, she's just, you know, the protagonist of her own story in her head, as many young teens are. Right after that discussion, she decides to leave to prove to both herself and her team that she is as important as she thinks she is.

And then later on, being torn between wanting to feel like that necessary, powerful part of their team and caring about her friends.

Which obviously ends badly and she blames herself for not valuing them more or for valuing herself above them and her worldview/self-esteem instantly shatters. "Any one of you deserves to live more than I do."

Man this webcomic is so good and I find new stuff to appreciate every time I go back and reread it. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the next page.

Some of that first page is Sally being Sally. She's firey, abrasive, and doesn't like being told what to do. While Tessa has a superiority complex, Sally has an inferiority complex and lashes out and as a result, gets most of the group killed. She could do things like not rely on the rest of the group to take notes for her or figure out better ways to use her powers, but nope. Teen girl gonna teen girl.

A lot of Tessa's problem is that she feels like she HAS to carry the group because she does. Here's Sally on a normal night. At the same time, her position and powers are destroying her friend group and you can see her quietly approaching a breakdown through the second chapter. She's about to cry in this last panel here. I think that walking away at the cafe was less about proving superiority and more just, "I can't loving deal with this." I feel like there's more and someone did a really good job pointing out that Tessa was low-key depressed long before she got to "any of you deserves to live more than I do."