Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Cassidy at least got to poke out Goops eye, so she's got that going for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Character Poll is posted.

My objectively correct ranking:
1) Rue
2) Zoe
3) Cassidy
4) HP
5) Bud

(Had a hard time picking between Bud and Undine, they're both pretty great)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 16, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Airspace posted:

I'll raise.

Mrs. Wells
Arthur Clark
Miss Nasri
Ms. Baiha
Mr. Wells

I think this is going to have the biggest deviation from the median ballot. :allears:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was already feeling a little bad for Cassidy given her cancellation for being an rear end in a top hat teenager, but her getting iced really makes it hard to not put her up pretty high since she didn't get a chance at a redemption arc.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL. Poor Cassidy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

YES. gently caress YES.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DON'T YOU DO THAT TO ME. I hadn't read the actual comic yet.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rue is probably one of those people who only sleep 5 hours a night and don't need any more than that. Now that I'm aware she will NOT be in my top 5 next time around due to petty jealousy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Does the Magical Girl school have sports teams? I can't recall if Cagle is North American where high school sports are A Big Deal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

They have a track field but uh, competitive sports leagues are pretty tough to organize when the entire (available) human population fits inside a single city, so I imagine sports aren't a big deal.

I dunno. If they're large enough to have 4 high schools they're large enough to have some serious high school rivalries. And 4 high schools is what you get with like 100k population.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Not an MD, though. She delivers too many burns for that. Must be a PhD in Magical Girl-ism.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bud rules.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:five:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kennel posted:

My thoughts exactly. "Magical Girls made me the woman I am today!"

Tell Me More.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Is that from Black Book by Verhoeven?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cassidy is a whole bundle of insecurities, lol.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man Bud's an rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Aww yeah, take that Goops.

Looking forward to Goops being called Goops, and getting all huffy because that's not her name.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Seems pretty happy considering Cassidy is dead.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I wonder if Bud's laser eyes will mean something here.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Is it just me or does that look like a forest right beyond the outer barrier?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It really couldn't have been that long ago. A year, maybe two at the most. They're not even seniors in high school and they were dating when they had already become magical girls.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man, I love when this comic goes super creepy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

I think that's probably true, and all the more reason that they'd have a whole lot of ex-MGs working for them! But that's more of the "this is top secret, please don't let the people know how we're flying blind" type of government secrecy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was just coming to this thread to say that I'm actually quite pleased that Undine was coming straight out to authority figures with this rather than keeping it a secret. It's an open question as to whether the authority figures in this world can do anything to help with Goops, but it's still the right move to tell them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

It will be interesting to see how the system reacts to this information, whether they do not know or if they DO know.

A reminder, "the system" at this point is going to be run largely by ex-Magical Girls themselves.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is entirely off topic, but Zoe is one of those names I will always and forever mispronounce in my head. I know there's supposed to be a y sound on the end, but my inner monologue always acts like it's not there. And makes me think I'm talking about Alonzo Mourning.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

New page up. As much as it's Tessa deflecting from her own problems, talking about basic stuff does seem to have helped a bit. Also good to know that their parents keep in touch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, Cass got a very good shot in before going out. Good for her.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cassidy, Zoe, Rue, Bud, Goops.

Goops gets a vote because she's an excellent villain, Cassidy gets #1 because she went out swinging and actually harmed Goops. Zoe, Rue, and Bud are pretty self explanatory.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well this qualifies as a massive lore dump.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is the second webcomic where I've seen Parade used as an alt-text soundtrack. In the other (K6BD) that character ended up getting a lot of people killed out of spite.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I love that ad.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sleepless Domain: A Series of Big Ooofs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I think Goops might have gotten more than she bargained for.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Gooptessa has arrived!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: k6bd post in wrong thread somehow oops

Gooptessa is extremely sword poisoned.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's really neat, but I think the swing in the original art looks a bit off. You'd be lucky to flare that shot into opposite field with that swing. Ofc, Lime isn't a baseball player, so no reason to think she'd have a swing like Ken Griffey Jr.... but she probably wants to get some more extension on it to really hammer the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kokoro is now Nokoro. Only one left, Gooptessa!