Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Did everyone see Cagle’s art of Undine if she were Alchemical Air? The Team Alchemical scheme is just adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mine was something like:

Undine
Kokoro
Vedika
Cassidy
Zoe

Vedika needs more screen time and psychic stuff IMO, that Chekhov’s gun hasn’t gone off yet.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

I was already feeling a little bad for Cassidy given her cancellation for being an rear end in a top hat teenager, but her getting iced really makes it hard to not put her up pretty high since she didn't get a chance at a redemption arc.

Cassidy was a jerk teen who was extremely well realized and had hands down the coolest power set we’ve seen yet (Vedika has potential to cause some really cool mindscape shenanigans when someone touches her while linked). I hope she comes back in some form for that reason.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How dare you malign my boy Schwarzvald that way. Besides, he’s clearly Mark (the outsider), who has yet to discover Big Duo.

Goops is Vera or something.

(If this makes Kokoro Angel I’m upset)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean I think fans are insisting Cassidy’s not totally gone because they think it’s not a great ending for the character and aren’t convinced the postmortem is going to be good - but also really like Cube’s writing generally.

I admit I’m kind of in that camp, I’m skeptical that this will be enough or interesting enough payoff to what happened, and ‘RIP Cassidy, was a lovely teen and deserved to die’ is (I hope) not the narrative result, nor ‘Undine is just utterly miserable with guilt.’ I’m willing to see what results but I have some trepidation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

To be clear, I’m reasonably optimistic Cube’s further storytelling will handle this whole situation well, there’s just a number of ways it could go poorly, and the repeated authorial statements and this interstitial going ‘she’s dead dead dead’ are, well, not my favorite. There’s honestly no reason to hammer on it, let fans be wrong until it’s clear she’s never coming back. Fans who hold that unlikely theory can just be wrong for a while. Some of this interstitial was great like the thing about school attendance, but I feel like when you publish a page that feels like it’s trying to talk fans out of a bad fan theory it often comes off kinda weird.

IDK maybe that’s just a bias against long serials on my part, and a preference for self-contained works.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Bud’s eyes are like that because she’s related to Sans Undertale. She’ll only get a blue pupil when going into rage mode and/or tumblr fanart.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

They do also get an explicitly higher-quality education, at least in terms of funding and support, so it’s entirely possible that graduated magical girls have a good set-up to start a mundane career.

Other than all the PTSD. Assuming they survive.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Wittgen posted:

I kind of doubt Rue's distrust of the central government is entirely unfounded paranoia.

My take is that the government is totally unable to in any way interact with magical girl stuff and has basically decided that their entire job is to maintain public order by never admitting that explicitly. It's still a failure of the adults, but it's not a conspiracy - they don't even know the first thing about how the setting works.

My evidence for this is the apparent constant effort by the government to figure out literally anything about magical girls - the surveys and questionnaires they throw at the girls in the MG school. They probably don't really have any idea how any of this works, and refuse to admit it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How Wonderful! posted:

If you want to make a donation to RAINN or a similar charity it could be yours without a penny going to Lowtax!

How wonderful!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Jury is not bi, neither is Shiori, this is a pretty important plot point (in the show, I get the sense the anime did not do🤺 justice).

I think those are the only characters I’m aware of that aren’t though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I don’t think anyone’s saying she should.

I do think Rue is, y’know, a conspiracy-minded teen and we should keep that in mind before we assume she’s totally emotionally on top of things; At the very least I think it would be good for somebody to contact the people Tess is close to (which is generally known, like Undine) and let them know she’s clearly spiraling, but I don’t expect Rue to because she’s a teenager and avoids contact with other magical girls because of conspiracy reasoning.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Kennel posted:

"Wow, 2020 really sucks, am I right, guys?"

I feel like nobody in this room is successfully assigning agency to Goopy, aka The Hellyear That Smiles Like A Jerk.

They're all trying to figure out which teenage girl is responsible for Cassidy dying when actually it's just something that looks kinda like a teenage girl, but is actually slime.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Bud is expressing the exact same basic, understandable anxiety as Cassidy, just with less physical assault and more guilt.

And in both cases they're expecting way more out of Undine and HP than is fair.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

What people seem to think would happen if she'd told Cassidy about Goops: Ah, yes, everything makes sense now. I am no longer jealous about you getting closer to HP than I am, nor distrustful of you.

What would've actually happened: Ah, yes, everything makes sense now. You're keeping secrets, stealing HP from me, and there's some dangerous evil being hunting you. I'm going to try to drive you away from the group and/or beat some answers out of you.

"Cassidy being Cassidy" is not why the insecure teenager with a hero complex died, she died because she went out alone after getting kicked out of her friend group and got ambushed by the intelligent, monster-rule-breaking threat she didn't know about.
I think it's fair to say she would not be dead the same way if things had gone differently; she would still be anxious, self-centered, jealous, and so on but she might not be dead and she certainly wouldn't have died the same way. You're right that she probably wouldn't have started treating Undine with understanding and compassion, but that's not what's in contention and she didn't die because she was an rear end in a top hat to Undine.

Acting like people die in this comic because they were bad people, especially when Goops is involved, just doesn't hold up. Cassidy died because she was socially isolated, in part due to her own actions, and Goops took her shot. The same basic logic applies to how Team Alchemical got routed; the group was divided because of internal drama and Goops sent an elevator after them.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I really think it continues to be the case that she was killed by Goops.

Cassidy isn’t more responsible for what happened to her than Team Alchemical were, and Undine isn’t less involved in her death than Tessa was in theirs. In both cases, Goops coordinated a monster attack and broke the rules to make sure magical girls died.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Aww, Tessa's making friends!

Badeline avatar appropriate but not entirely appropriate

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is interesting that Mark never explicitly says he's from outside the city, even though literally everything he says and does implies it (Such as, for instance, saying he's guilty of trespassing on the page after the one ronya linked).

He also seems significantly unaware of how the barrier works - "But this place will be back to normal soon, right?" - for someone who had grown up in the city. But yeah, I think he's being coy about it because he's aware that saying he's from outside is likely to produce some weird reactions from magical girls.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...that is the single greatest way GWTB could possibly have ended. It's perfection.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The way the wall fades into the white "sky" makes it read as completely flat, despite the shading. It's a weird look. Not bad, but I can't tell if that's how I'm supposed to read it or not.

The shading is more like static - the thing is meant to be weirdly dimensionless, I think, with extremely weird fringes.

Even more importantly... why is the lower part of the barrier apparently material stuff, and all broken up?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

It's very clearly a solid wall with visible brick sections, and the brick sections are illuminated like the brick of the Inner Barrier.

The question is, why doesn't it go to the ground? Also why is it all weird and floppy.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ironic Twist posted:

It’s weird that there isn’t more suspicion of magical-girl-on-magical-girl violence in this universe. You’d think that a lot of teenagers with magic weapons and poor impulse control would lead to a lot of high-stakes infighting, but I guess Mary already said it was heavily discouraged, for...reasons we’re not aware of yet.

I'm pretty sure heavily discouraged because they are your physical line of defense between monsters and the populace.

It's like that conversation with Rue: The government doesn't need to be conspiring, they just need to be out of their depth and desperate to fight the monsters. And in this case, 'we will be incredibly upset at any Magical Girl caught fighting other Magical Girls' seems like it would most likely arise as a direct response to the need to have bodies between monsters and civilians.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

jng2058 posted:

Actually, considering how horrified HP was when she learned Cassidy attacked Undine ("You attacked her with your WEAPON?") makes it seem that HP at least considers seriously fighting another Magical Girl to be unthinkable, so tat's probably been drilled into them from very early on.

I mean, it's very clear they all know what their powers are for, their entire society relies on those powers being used for that purpose, and that purpose is not fighting humans.

The idea of a magical girl who would use her powers against other humans would go against everything they're understood to be.

I don't know that you even need to be drilled in it. It's just not what powers are for to them, from before they ever get the dream.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This seems like a pretty clear parallel to what happened with Tessa. Someone pushing her power so hard it burns itself out.

Except Tessa poured her power into Undine - which is where Undine's new eye color thing comes from, and where her power boost seems to have come from.

So it's not quite the same.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Sure, the application of the power was different, so the external result of the application was different. But they both poured all their power into doing something extreme, which seems like the relevant detail.

I think Tessa is a special case, is the thing, because her power survives in Undine in the same way Kokoro got power from her mom.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's still close enough to be a fairly strong narrative parallel.

I suppose, I just think that 'girls burning out' is constant enough in the story to be not a singular parallel but a running theme and operation of the setting; this is how characters end their career without dying. It would feel more like a narrative parallel if it were more unusual-feeling.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

I think a possible way it could have been made clearer, but also a cool moment, is if the transformation was kind of falling apart as she went, but she held it together and kept going anyways.

It's a cool moment and the bonus page is clearly also about the artist burning out and having to take a hiatus recently.

And she should take hiatuses as she needs them! It's a very good comic (and I love her podcast), and she deserves to not run herself ragged and, I guess, magically de-power permanently?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Brought To You By posted:

Auntie is gonna uncover like a full on conspiracy of deaths and disappearances over literal decades isn't she?

I feel like the entire graveyard tells me that it's not really a conspiracy, but it could be a pattern.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Seconding that, honestly Sleepless Domain has been going from strength to strength ... more or less for the entire run.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I feel like 'Sally got the group killed' is about as fair as 'Tessa got the group killed.'

None of these teens were making good decisions, because everything around Magical Girls is sort of geared to minimize the perception of risk, and I don't think Tessa's superiority complex is either arguable or more to blame for her friends dying than the literal nightmare specter scheming to assassinate them.

E: The literal next page has Tessa pointing to her own face and saying "LEA. DER." to explain why she should always take the finishing blow. She and Sally are precisely matched in how the team's dysfunction works. Honestly it's a lot like a team of teens with a school project: The one with prior experience or aptitude does all the work, encouraging the rookies to slack off. The rookies feel like they don't get to make decisions so they half-rear end it, and the one with experience feels like they have to make all the decisions so starts resenting them. Both parties ought to be trying to get the less experienced/talented team members up to par with the team leader, but neither party is actually trying to make that happen. The dynamics are pretty common, and as the kid who always carried the team project in high school... yeah, that was also on me, not just on my teammates who slacked off, even though at the time I was convinced I was obviously being saintlike and self-sacrificing by taking charge.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 18, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah it's very clearly a friend group that was going to have some kind of blow-up eventually... but they all got magic powers as a magical girl team, so the blow-up was capitalized on by Goops and had casualties.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Since Undine's dream also had jellyfish representing her friends, it seems likely that Thematic Team powers are meant to work together. Moreover, Alchemical Aether's magical mark was a non-standard triangle combination that takes the alchemical symbols for water, air, fire, and earth and lays them over each other to make a single weird hourglass... which is still the icon for the comic in my bookmarks tab.

So I would bet that Tessa being so powerful is in part because of how the group's dynamic worked. The five of them come together to form a powerful team that support each other, with Tessa as the central conduit or figure in some sense... but it turns out teens were not actually going to make that hypothetical arrangement work, or at least these teens weren't.

I have no idea if this is something the WiW actually did on purpose, or some potential that she could open up in them, with Tessa having the most because of her position in her group of friends.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

rannum posted:

Looks like we got a page this week, at least
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-4

still just doing audible "OOF"s

Based on the alt text, I believe you mean audible "YOUTH"s

(Metric is good imo)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Julius CSAR posted:

I think it’s actually a nightmare goops is feeding her. Like, the whole thing of her being powerful and thus being the leader could just be a matter of coincidence. And the special feeling/superiority complex could simply be a result of that (and also that she’s like, 14) and now goops is tapping in to that to mess with her. Like, Udine’s dream with the Jellyfish is themed toward her powers but doesn’t seem to include anything negative like that. And interestingly there is a pink jellyfish in her dream as well, representing Tessa though that could be because she is having the dream later on, like a repeat

I think that was just Undine remembering part of her original Dream, so we didn't see the whole thing or the important conversation.
We have no idea what those jellyfish meant or did in the original dream, only that they were present (and represented her friends).

Also just as a writing thing, this being a fake dream would be a huge let down and a waste of page space. It's only of interest if it accurately represents what happened, and the way Goops talks about it is 'this should have been yours all along' - so I'm inclined very strongly to believe that this is her real dream.

Especially since like... if this dream is how she got her powers, it could absolutely be seen as an effort to help her be the leader in a real, healthy way - showing her that she already was the queen but didn't want to admit it, then saying 'you can lead them, and lead them well if you try.' We just know, having seen the endgame, that this is not actually going to work perfectly because Teens and also because an evil slime monster took advantage of Teens to assassinate them all with an elevator centaur.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tiny Myers posted:

It's strange that we're seeing the memory effect in the dream itself, considering that this part of the dream is what magical girls always forget after and has been shown to be related to the memory stuff (like Undine's eyes fuzz over when she's trying to remember the end of the dream). I'm wondering if Tessa was about to say "Are you the Founder?". Like the memory stuff doesn't just pertain to The Woman In White but also figuring out the extent and specifics of who and what she is.

That's more or less what I assumed - that it was still in effect to prevent that particular connection being made. Possibly in the dream she can't say 'The Founder.'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think the WiW needs magical girls enough that if a really really potentially powerful one is loudly saying 'I have heard the problems you expect me to have, now let me sign on the dotted line' she's going to go ahead.

I don't think the WiW has literally no choice, I think magical girls are literally the only line of defense between humanity and nightmare monsters in this city. And she's choosing to grant powers to those who want them, to fight that, rather than let humans be completely wiped out.

From a very, very cold perspective, it's better for Tessa to knowingly accept the possibility of suffering and wipe out a bunch of monsters that would otherwise kill people, than to take the high road and insist you know better than her, even if you totally do know better than her and can see how her friends will definitely all die. I mean, it's not even like Tessa not being there would have saved them from Goops!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah I would be really surprised and honestly a bit disappointed if this were Cassidy, though I can see it being a monster born from Cassidy's nightmares of isolation and/or her judgmental side. Though even then, I think it's more likely it's just A Monster like we often see, it just happens to be one that's built around a relevant nightmare to the main story.

Also, Oh No Koro

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...sorry to immediately follow that up with another one, but 'gouache' is a kind of pigment, while 'gauche' is awkward, unsubtle, or unsophisticated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Potsticker posted:

I'm champing at the bit to get more Sleepless Domain.

But this one is correct