Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Sundae posted:

Anyone who didn't see that panel coming (eventually, at least) really needs to teach me their secret to remaining so oblivious. :v:

I was mostly convinced that Undine was looking at something behind Kokoro in the previous comic.

Had that been true, all sorts of things could have happened in today's comic that would have put the kiss off the table for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

While I don't think this is the case, there is the option that we've never seen Cassidy's true body, and the reason that either of the duplicates can become the "real" one is that the "real" one she goes to school with is yet another projection, while her true body remains safe at home/in a hospital bed/life support tank/wherever.

I'd probably expect more clues pointing towards the Mysterious Secret of Cassidy in the comic if that was the case, though.

Ah, missed the chance to vote "Orange Cassidy" and "Light Orange Cassidy" in the poll.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Are the previous popularity surveys available?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hm. Alarm set for 10 AM. Guess school starts pretty late for Magical Girls.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MadDogMike posted:

LOL, that was gloriously mean to the reader, and especially funny here given that “Undine was dreaming” edit that got posted. It’s obvious these two are going to be amusingly awkward at school, though I suspect Cassidy being “missing” will overshadow that ASAP.

I imagine the rest of Team Flash will probably be asking about her.

Which is an interesting question of itself - Was there a reason, besides her anger at getting called out over Undine, that she wasn't with Team Flash on that fateful night?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Does any official magical girl training happen at the school, or is it mostly "You guys figure it out, we're just here to provide you education"?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

And then the framerate starts tanking, and it takes three minutes just to get across the hall.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

:siren:New Strip is up.:siren:

I assume they're finally going to let the Club know about Goops?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

“I thought you were going to tell us that you’re dating.

“You know about that?

Odds on a custom banner in the clubroom?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Didn't really take a close look at her until now, but it seems like whatever made the scar also took out her right eye, and it's a prosthetic in the socket now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I liked Starship Troopers better when someone told me to view it as an in-universe propaganda piece to justify and explain a war that is going much worse than the Earthside authorities claim, and rationalize the things that they can't cover up: The destruction of Buenos Aries by enemy action, the massive losses at Klendathu and subsequent resignation of the Sky Marshall. Everything else ranges between "inspired by true events" and outright lies.

So of course it goes "rah-rah we'll win in the end." It wouldn't get approval for release if it didn't.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Remind me why they've been keeping Goops secret?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

rannum posted:

gabby just off panel also listening to all this: drat, sounds rough

"Oh, the Goopy girl? Lives across the street from me. Violet GilsCarbo, I think her name is?"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So, yeah, this looks like it's a second perspective on Chapter 7, Page 18, heading into the sequence where Undine first tells Kokoro about Goops.

Cassidy probably watched the entire sequence up until they both left.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

That Rainbow Poster's text seems pretty ominous.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

She seems really together for someone who had to do a self-amputation.

I wonder if her power was to split like the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel, but leaving the arm disconnected and encased in ice too long caused it to go gangrenous.

Edit: Alternative speculation, every time we've seen her in the comic, she's had an artificial arm.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ah. Read it on my phone, and did not take a close enough look at the arm. I interpreted it as a bloodless empty sleeve, rather than the ragged stump that is there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Huh. If you need medical attention after 10pm, and you're unable to let the Magical Girls know, or they can't get to you, you'll have to wait until 2AM.

That could get pretty dicey.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Chapter 17 - Interstitial

Huh. She can generate healing potions, but still has times when she winds up injured on the following day. Very dangerous work, the Magical Girling.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Potential options:
- Cassidy's Memorial Service?
- Anniversary of Team Alchemical's death?
- Birthday of one of Team Alchemical's members?
- Just another manic Monday?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

"Deep, deep down, you still believe that you aren't responsible for the deaths of your friends."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I imagine there's usually a "Door has been opened during the Magical Girling Hours" alarm, that can be disarmed by residents. Probably would still normally go off in most houses, but maybe Tessa's family have left it on the "My daughter's a Magical Girl" settings.

Also, her family is more likely to be asleep at 10, since she's not out fighting monsters every night now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Goops: "They'll never let us into the movie theater looking like this."
Cassidy: "It'll be fine, just borrow a trenchcoat. Also, can we get caramel popcorn?"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ah, HP. You know that there is a malevolent, planning entity on the side of the monsters.

If the thing that sent you to the flipside ran off, it ran off because Goops wants you over there, because she doesn't want Undine to be there when she moves against you, or for you to be there when she moves against Undine, or both.

Should have stuck around, maybe attempted communication by smashing up the ground you still seem able to interact with.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Those were Gooptessa's monsters behind Anemone. I think Anemone dealt with them without turning her back on Gooptessa

maltesh
May 20, 2004

He was her manager, or part of her support crew, when she was a Magical Girl.

Or vice versa.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

:siren: New Strip is Up :siren:

Oh, you sweet summer child, If you're revealing Goops publicly, you're about to rock society with an unprecedented revelation the morning after the Barriers went down early. You're getting mobbed and/or mandatorily debriefed/interrogated after this.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Managers: "Dammit, we should have saved that for the press conference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Oh, it's not a Press Conference, it's a talk show.

Unless it's live, I guess this episode is going to be heavily edited before it airs, if it airs at all.