Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Joe Slowboat posted:

Cassidy was a jerk teen who was extremely well realized and had hands down the coolest power set we’ve seen yet (Vedika has potential to cause some really cool mindscape shenanigans when someone touches her while linked). I hope she comes back in some form for that reason.

I don't buy that she's dead. Not sure what else the alternative is, but her ability was "kill one image, the other becomes the real one" and both were still images and got killed at the same time while fighting. No body left behind (that we've been shown yet, at least), and Goops was surprised by the outcome too. (Or was she more surprised to have lost an eye?)

Plus yeah, that was a kickass power and a lot of development to put into a character you kill off like one chapter later.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone who didn't see that panel coming (eventually, at least) really needs to teach me their secret to remaining so oblivious. :v:

Also, to predict more of the blatantly obvious: Tessa's getting recruited by Goops and will be a villain character against Undine.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

maltesh posted:

I was mostly convinced that Undine was looking at something behind Kokoro in the previous comic.

Had that been true, all sorts of things could have happened in today's comic that would have put the kiss off the table for awhile.

I can see that. Yeah, that'd have put off the inevitable for a bit, but it was obvious as hell that the kiss was coming eventually.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

rannum posted:

I assume that even if she's dead For Real (& i think she is) they'll still find out more about her to add to the tragedy and the characters will probably have a big talk about how things could have gone what they might have done etc

There will probably be a "redemption" for her as they come to understand her after its too late to have done anything.

I'm curious what the mouseover text on her death page is about. "Take this promise to the end of you." I saw this thread yesterday and ended up binge-reading all fifteen chapters instead of sleeping, like a big dumb dope so I'm curious if I breezed over something or missed poo poo in previous page mouseover texts.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Theory on future chapters/pages:

Cut over to: Tessa goes with Goops that night after the writing on her window. Goops brings her to see Undine kissing HP. Tessa decides to join Goops and gets new powers from Goops after that, now that Woman in White cannot reach Tessa.

Tessa either kills or seriously injures HP in a future chapter, setting up a fight chapter against Undine.

I love spoilertheories but will gladly shut my face if they're not welcome in the thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

The truth of if Undine is abandoning Tessa isn't relevant. What matters is if Tessa thinks that's the case. And as we all know, depressionGoops is an insidious liar.

Agreed there; depression (do I spoiler this? The thread's two pages old but the comic is 15 chapters long) isn't rational. It doesn't have to make sense to people outside the influence.

Okay, maybe she dead. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 19, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Apraxin posted:

Maybe I'm being dense and :thejoke:, but that sketch is HP and Undine doing an Utena homage, not a death joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqe8ju6GlU

Nah, you're not being dense. It's me not knowing poo poo about other media and mistaking which character was being drawn for one of them too. :haw: I interpreted sword-holder as scissorgirl and knew nothing of Utena.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I interpreted the message on the window as "If you want to die, I would be glad to kill you."

The reason I'm not interpreting it like that is because of the line with Scissorgirl / Goops on Ch15-P24. " Always so angry. It's too bad you're one of hers. We might have gotten along."

That's where I'm getting the Goops-turns-Tessa thing. Tessa is no longer one of Woman in White's magical girls (and WiW can't even reach her now). She was the strongest of the alchemicals, is suffering from depression, and is having horrible nightmares (likely from Goops, and which can't be stopped by WiW like she did with Undine's nightmare). It makes her either a great potential heel-turn character, or alternatively (though this feels lazier to me IMO) decent bait for Undine.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Make Cassidy win the popularity poll, so she has to be brought back!

*Cassidy's panel is just a headstone with "Umm..." etched on it.*

"SEE, COMMUNICATION FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! SHE'S STILL--"

(Yeah, I think she's dead.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mikl posted:

To be fair, magical girls seem to instinctively get a full knowledge of how their powers work and how to use them when they get the dream. On the other hand, adults could help out with stuff like tactics and such, so there's really no excuse.

They get some knowledge, but not all of it apparently. Example: Undine practicing for ages trying to do a high-pressure stream with her original team, but unable to do it until HP was in danger. In the original-team days, she was trying it based on being taught about a real-world machine implementation of it rather than because she knew her power could provide one.

Also, I'm going to guess that adults are mostly out of the picture in this comic more as a storytelling means of allowing additional agency to the children, rather than any actual social structure. Just not bringing them into the story is easier for someone to suspend disbelief than creating a system where they've handed the reins over to the kids. It wouldn't add much to the story, and it'd add more details for readers to decide they didn't like. It's like how no parents or adults ever seem to intervene in your average teen post-apoc/paranormal romance novels. It's easier to all-but-ignore the parental aspects entirely than to write the circumstances that allow a 16-yr-old girl to (e.g) go flotzing about in the woods with a werewolf and a vampire after town curfew on a school night.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Undine was able to do the high-pressure stream because she received Alchemical Aether's power. It's like how HP is more powerful than an average magical girl because she received some of her mother's magic. Still a very good point that there is room for creativity and invention with how people use their powers.

Ah yes, I forgot about that aspect! TY for the reminder.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

Oh good, it’s our worst fears confirmed!

I'd have been amazed if it didn't go this direction.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Cassidy actually transferred over there; she found the curriculum was a cut above the regular school.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Gabby has just been skewered by Cassidy around the corner while Dark Tessa laughs and poses for a selfie. :colbert:

(I don't think that at all.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Alternatively, Gooptessa is about to murder some parents.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Welp, there goes my parent-murder theory. Didn't see "can literally merge back into Tessa" coming.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

But, yes, most likely the city is just built on large reserves of Shut The gently caress Up.

Just want to say that I love this line and will steal it for something in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I feel like almost certainly they will. I mean, most people think of the monsters as just that, monsters. Just wild beasts. Telling people that there is one that is acting with purpose, can direct other monsters, and (so far) can't be stopped will cause mass panic. But saying that the monster might also be a dark magical girl is gonna also cause mass paranoia.

Alternatively, she gets killed on her way to tell them and hobo guy who was researching the barrier sees it, bringing him back into the plot again. He writes a letter to Cassidy, who... :suicide: