Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
my thoughts on that one character we're putting in spoilers

me reading the comic: no body, ambiguous magic powers, yeah this is a bait-and-switch, Cass's coming back

me reading the author's comments on twitter/patreon: oh wow Cass's actually loving dead

me thinking too much about the author's comments on twitter/patreon: she's being really flip about this honestly pretty grim event while sidestepping direct 'she ded y/n?' questions, there has to be some sort of twist, right?

in short, comic good and i genuinely have no idea what the answers to any of the current mysteries are gonna be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sundae posted:

I don't buy that she's dead. Not sure what else the alternative is, but her ability was "kill one image, the other becomes the real one" and both were still images and got killed at the same time while fighting. No body left behind (that we've been shown yet, at least), and Goops was surprised by the outcome too. (Or was she more surprised to have lost an eye?)

Plus yeah, that was a kickass power and a lot of development to put into a character you kill off like one chapter later.
Yeah I'll genuinely be a bit sad if she's dead*, it'd mean we get introduced to the first character who's got actual unsympathetic personality traits without being irredeemable/an actual monster, and then the very next chapter they die screaming and alone while getting owned by the plot in every conceivable way.

*or 'just' dead, feels like the setting has room for in-between states

Anyway:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I like that it's happened now, when we're at most mid-way through the story (and probably a bit less) - obviously other recent events are gonna distract from it for a while, but it still leaves plenty of room to show the actual relationship instead of the genre trope of: confess feelings -> defeat big bad -> smooch -> the end

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sundae posted:

I'm curious what the mouseover text on her death page is about. "Take this promise to the end of you." I saw this thread yesterday and ended up binge-reading all fifteen chapters instead of sleeping, like a big dumb dope so I'm curious if I breezed over something or missed poo poo in previous page mouseover texts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9QiXOWy0s

Mary/Cube's said a couple of times that this is a big Cassidy Mood song. Dunno if it goes any deeper than that.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Niton posted:

Re: second part: Honestly, I can see it happening, but certainly not permadeath. After all, "Heartless Punch" is right there for a temporary corruption arc!
Not gonna spoiler it cause it's only a fan comic, but their evil names are actualy Hurtful Punch and Wandine Unwells :v:

For real though, if Cube's spent five years building up to a canonical gay protagonist couple and then murks one of them, I'll be more surprised than I've ever been by any work of fiction before.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sundae posted:

Okay, maybe she dead. :(
Maybe I'm being dense and :thejoke:, but that sketch is HP and Undine doing an Utena homage, not a death joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqe8ju6GlU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I think Cube's more-or-less confirmed 'dead' at this point, there's just enough hinkiness in the set-up and even the comments today that still make me wonder if that doesn't necessarily equal 'gone'.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Roland Jones posted:

I'm kind of curious what the people who thinks she's not dead think happened instead.
No idea. I think you pretty much covered the possibilities, most of them at this point would be a cop-out that I'm sure Cube wouldn't do. I guess maybe stuck in the barrier, or with the WiW or something, hypothetically?

The only thing that still gives me pause about agreeing 'yeah, dead, gone, can't argue with that' is that if I was someone who just read the comic by itself and didn't know anything about the creator's social media or meta comments, then a death scene where both clone bodies disintegrate leaving no trace, when it was deliberately unexplained where her meat body goes or where her actual consciousness is when the clones are out, followed by the villain going 'huh, that sure was odd wasn't it?' and then the knowing-but-not-entirely-omniscient narrator being 'yes that was very unusual, but let me say that i can't sense the character's presence anymore, so you the reader should certainly assume that they no longer exist' would be a big flashing siren that there was more to it than the face value.

But then Cube's always up front that she hates a lot of common tropes and is always willing to kill characters when she thinks it's necessary, so...

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wittgen posted:

I don't think it's fair to read the comic as saying either Cassidy or Team Alchemical deserved their fates.
Yeah, Cube's been pretty clear that her authorial word-of-god is that noone in the comic deserves to die.

I think overall I'm in pretty much in the same (Slow)boat as Joe, in that if that last scene was just the end of Cass, full stop, and if the post-mortem shakes out that way, I'd be disappointed. But that's getting ahead of ourselves and supposing a lot of ifs, which isn't really fair at this point but I guess is a peril of getting invested in a slowly-updating ongoing work that you consume as it comes out.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Do people really think that these child soldiers deserve to die for making bad decisions and celebrate it when it happens? Like is this a thing in this comics audience??
Never underestimate the Hot Take powers of people on Twitter :v:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wittgen posted:

Bud also has hands down the best magical girl outfit.
that's a funny way of spelling Sunlight Spear :v:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
it's beautiful

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Imagine falling for an "it was just a dream" troll in a comic literally called "Sleepless Domain" :smugdog:
one of the Four Known Things :v:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Next chapter, a new transfer student arrives, taking Cassidy's place in the class and eventually the training club too.

No-one comments on the resemblance, and it's never explained.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mikl posted:

To be fair, magical girls seem to instinctively get a full knowledge of how their powers work and how to use them when they get the dream. On the other hand, adults could help out with stuff like tactics and such, so there's really no excuse.
I think word of god is that they get an instinctual understanding of what their base power is, and then as they use the magic they kind of learn the details of how they personally express it, like it's an art

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

a computing pun posted:

I forget: do we know anything about the population dynamics of magical girls in the SD city? in particular, how many people are magical girls? it seems like a relatively small number, maybe less than one in a hundred girls of the appropriate age, but has it ever been stated?
If I remember right, Word of God on total magical girl numbers is 'definitely between 100 and 10,000'.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bussamove posted:

“She goes to another school” does sound like Zoe is making poo poo up on the fly, to be fair.

Insisting she’s super duper real isn’t helping. :v:
Also there's canonically only one other mahou school in the city, so her not even being able to say 'she goes to Founder's Blessing' makes it seem extra sus.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

ronya posted:

Her powers are registered so it would be known that she wouldn't leave a body if she got ambushed with her power up.
Is it though? They'd probably infer it was a possibility, but all they know for sure is if one magic body takes enough damage her physical body pops back in and replaces the other, they don't know what happens to actual Cass if both bodies get got. In their shoes I wouldn't want to commit to anything beyond 'missing'.

(The conspiracy theorist in me argues that the readers don't know for sure what happened to her either)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, evidently she has stopped at some point since then.
Externally, yes

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-18-page-32

everything is going very well.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Might not get a page this week, or if we do it'll be very late:
https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1451685451253915655

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lol I love this funny heartwarming comic where characters can get summarily murderated.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Alternatively: it's a No Barts Allowed situation, we can have one monster made from a dead magical girl (as a treat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
comic/creator update (tldr-version - it''s been a fucker of a year):
https://twitter.com/SleeplessDomain/status/1609680468760215556?cxt=HHwWiICy5fP23dYsAAAA