Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah 175 years is until he's scrapped by the company, he still needs to refuel periodically or he'll shut down before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There is no way this doesn't become Show of the Year, it's way too batshit but also well animated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rime posted:

There is no way this doesn't become Show of the Year, it's way too batshit but also well animated.

Even if this doesn't fall apart (and more promising shows have), it's competing with Eizouken and (depending on how well MAPPA handles it) the all out ride that is the last act of Attack On Titan.

Not saying this has no chance, but it's competing against some of its clear inspirations, which means it's going to need to step up from here to have a shot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this show will either succeed wildly or fail spectacularly with a premise like this, and either way i am extremely into this wild ride

excited for more serious gruff voice acting plastered over nickelodeon characters taking Butt Drugs to stay alive

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
checked this show out randomly and lol wow

it's like gurren lagan mixed with space harrier lol

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2020

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Episode 3 remains good.

That was a heartwarming montage.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Also was this episode implying that Natsume couldn't become a soldier just because she is a non-entity in the system?

If the speculation(?) above is to be believed that the robot people just take control of the human bodies then yeah.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Demicol posted:

If the speculation(?) above is to be believed that the robot people just take control of the human bodies then yeah.

Nah the implication is a lot more solid that the Gears are the actual AIs but some humans can join the group and are treated as npc soldiers by the AIs. Our mechanic only looks human because he's under cover.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ep 3 basically makes it clear who is what and we get a clearer picture of what the society of cyborgs is like.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah there aren't *too* many more meaningful questions left about the setting, which is an interesting decision. A nice one too, IMO

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chiasaur11 posted:

Even if this doesn't fall apart (and more promising shows have), it's competing with Eizouken

jesus christ eizouken was this year.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'd watch this show just to see the many faces of Natsume but I'm glad there's actually cool stuff happening in it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Another good episode. The training montage music reminded me of the Master Keaton intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9CHV9GxDMQ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

These advertisements or whatever they are horrifying.

"Solid Quake acquired the rights to humanity" lmao

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
they've been very quick to clarify which parts of the show aren't intended to be ongoing mysteries. makes me real curious about what they're still keeping up their sleeve

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The origin of the monsters would be an obvious one. I don't think they've really tried to explain the gadoll (sp?) at all.

But I think the show is mostly going to be about Natsumi and Kaburagi further breaking the system in some way as it goes.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The soundtrack to this series slaps.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The origin of the monsters would be an obvious one. I don't think they've really tried to explain the gadoll (sp?) at all.

But I think the show is mostly going to be about Natsumi and Kaburagi further breaking the system in some way as it goes.

Could just be mutants that arose from centuries of radical climate change

.....Although, given their explanation of what happened to the world, that raises the question of why Tankers/Humans can now survive outside the DecaDence at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

Could just be mutants that arose from centuries of radical climate change

.....Although, given their explanation of what happened to the world, that raises the question of why Tankers/Humans can now survive outside the DecaDence at all.

Judging by the informational video that part of Eurasia seems to be under some sort of dome which probably gives a breathable environment, but not one that can maintain life.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If the gadoll are controlled enough to have a literal tutorial zone where a new level 1 tutorial gadoll appears as soon as the first one dies, they pretty much have to be artificial entities created for the 'game.'

That would also explain why they have super-gasoline for blood.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do we know how long this one's supposed to be?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Do we know how long this one's supposed to be?

One cour.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

If the gadoll are controlled enough to have a literal tutorial zone where a new level 1 tutorial gadoll appears as soon as the first one dies, they pretty much have to be artificial entities created for the 'game.'

That would also explain why they have super-gasoline for blood.

I'm a little less certain, given that the cyborgs do genuinely seem to need the blood to continue functioning. I won't rule them being completely artificial out entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're natural entities that the cyborgs simply farm either.

Edit: Oh, while I'm thinking about it - one mystery the show pointedly HASN'T entirely cleared up yet is precisely why Natsume doesn't show up on the cyborgs' system - it might be as simple as her chip shutting down because it assumed she died when her heart first stopped when she was a kid, but that feels a little too easy.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Wait yeah I remember they did

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm a little less certain, given that the cyborgs do genuinely seem to need the blood to continue functioning. I won't rule them being completely artificial out entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're natural entities that the cyborgs simply farm either.

Edit: Oh, while I'm thinking about it - one mystery the show pointedly HASN'T entirely cleared up yet is precisely why Natsume doesn't show up on the cyborgs' system - it might be as simple as her chip shutting down because it assumed she died when her heart first stopped when she was a kid, but that feels a little too easy.

They spelled out that that was the case in the first part of this episode. Being clinically dead caused her chip to shut down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

jesus christ eizouken was this year.

Yeah, it's been a long year.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

They spelled out that that was the case in the first part of this episode. Being clinically dead caused her chip to shut down.

That seems like a huge oversight to have in this system.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Also with the fact that apparently everything is recorded and is available for purchase with gacha dollars you'd think someone would have caught on. With the statement the show seems to be making with the commodification and gamification of everything I can see it as an analog to there not being enough people to review all the information being sucked up by today's big social media corporations. At this point Kaburagi's basically an underpaid online moderator who stumbled onto something interesting that his boss definitely won't like.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

doesn't Kaburagi spefically say that her chip malfunctions, not just shuts down when she flatlines?

e: decided to check, and indeed he does.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 23, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I feel like it's gonna turn out the system is poorly put together and the higher ups on it are incompetent.

Like that cutscene Kaburagi bought had her get brought back to life, but the system still declared her dead.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

And their idea of fixing that 'bug' would be just to kill her instead of y'know fixing the detection software.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

doesn't Kaburagi spefically say that her chip malfunctions, not just shuts down when she flatlines?

e: decided to check, and indeed he does.

Huh. Those chips must really be fragile.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It's a bug. You have a bunch of mass-manufactured chips, then put them through something they weren't designed to handle, and sometimes one of 'em bugs out.

Kaburagi just isn't doing his job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Huh. Those chips must really be fragile.

I mean, she got torn up pretty good.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
It's still not clear what happens to a human after Kaburagi spikes their drink and extracts their chip. I think those people might become avatars for the Gears. When the game system was being explained, they said that Gears would customize 'an available avatar'.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Also with the fact that apparently everything is recorded and is available for purchase with gacha dollars you'd think someone would have caught on.

It's the premium gear currency that's tracked, not the ordinary human currency, I think. All of the human purchases are done by passing physical coins around.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

It's the premium gear currency that's tracked, not the ordinary human currency, I think. All of the human purchases are done by passing physical coins around.

You see that he has to pay around a thousand computer dollars to view the video of Natsume's "death", which is kind of messed up and voyeuristic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

You see that he has to pay around a thousand computer dollars to view the video of Natsume's "death", which is kind of messed up and voyeuristic.

This is what happens when a corporation acquires the rights to humanity.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like all the sounds Natsume's VA makes. Blargh! Agh! Wegh!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jerkface posted:

I like all the sounds Natsume's VA makes. Blargh! Agh! Wegh!!

The random poo poo really gets me in this show. Like natsume's stomach after nearly drowning.