Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Does anyone have good recs on specifically leftist stories? As in, fiction that's written by authors who know their theory and are using it as a foundation for the story being told? Most of the books in this thread are theory which is great and I'm hoovering up those books, but like, I want leftist entertainment. I'm okay if it comes off preachy, though I'd prefer it not be. If the author's pandering, I'd rather pandering to anarchists than to MLs but I'll take what I can get.

My personal fondness is for nerdshit fantasy, but I'm open to any genre or non-genre works.

I will mention because this is the one author I can think of who falls into what I'm asking for: Please do not recommend China Mievelle to me. He is an alleged rapist who I do not want to materially support and whose work I do not want to read even via piracy or used books.

I like themes of imperialism and colonialism, if that helps narrow the subject for people. I've read and loved everything local hero General Battuta has ever published, so, you know, that one's appreciated but unnecessary.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Okay yeah this sounds like something that'll keep me going for a while. Thanks!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Okay no the CL Clark sounds fun even though i'm not a fan of genre romance, that looks good.

And duh ironically I completely forgot Le Guin, which I do way too often because my biggest memory of her by name is just bouncing super hard off Earthsea in elementary school. Thank you for the reminder cause I think she's a good fit for me politically cause I know she's fairly closely aligned with my anarchism, and while I've read nothing else by her, Omelas is a foundational text for me for coming to an understanding of how our society irl is constructed. Omelas is a fantasy story because in real life, no one gets to walk away from Omelas, and that child will always be there until the revolution happens and we can ensure there is now and never again the child in the basement. So yeah. I badly need to read Le Guin.

vvvv beautiful, sounds amazing, i'm jazzed as hell to read that vvvvv

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 27, 2021

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

fez_machine posted:

If you're hardcore on theory check out the Return to Neveryon series which is just the socio-cultural/economic theories Samuel R. Delany was reading at the time wrapped up in a sword and sorcery fantasy epic

:gizz:

that's literally exactly what i wanted perfect, i love when authors are obviously working poo poo out for themselves that way.

quote:

Both of these are important for historical reasons

Ragged Trousered Philanthropists

Germinal by Zola (The politics might not be exactly what you want but its influence on leftist politics was enormous. Wikipedia says the Disco Elysium writers were heavily influenced by it if that's a recomendation)

gently caress yes, that's a hard recommend because of that. I don't mind disagreeing with a book's politics where those politics are like, within the realm of what i consider, say, disagreements about how to make the best possible world for us to live in, and not fuckshits who want to burn the world. Which, like, for me starts in the realm of "theoretically well-intentioned liberal who is just outright wrong" and travels leftwards from there. But I'm so fuckin tired of art from theoretically well-intentioned liberals, and my cynicism has led me to believe in full on utopian anarchism because gently caress it, if better things aren't gonna be possible, might as well be the best things that aren't possible.

quote:

Unfortunately, there's much less good Leftist fiction than liberal or conservative because if you're politicly alert enough to have the right politics, why write fiction? There's far more practical things to be doing.

yeah that's legit. But art is important in terms of societal construction too.

and i'm so tired right now i just want to read some books by people where i don't have to worry about their politics, that are stories about their politics.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

I don't think this is particularly true, and it seems vaguely stupid, as if there aren't left wing writers who see the inherent value in fiction as a thing in itself.

i'll say that it seems easier to find fiction by fuckin liberals, but i think that's just because they're really everywhere because it's an easy political trap to fall into in this day and age.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 31, 2021

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That's fair. I was being hyperbolic and speaking out of emotion rather than human decency because I like to do that sometimes but on review that's gross. I will re-edit but you can leave the quote in place as recognition that I hosed that up. And I'm self-reporting cause I think I deserve at least a sixer for that one.

Thanks for the bonk.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

god yes thats so good i get chills reading that. the style isnt what i read for fun so i have to process like every word as it comes and it's just washing over me like a wave and sweeping me along with the sheer clarity of it