Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Anyone have recommendations for books (in English) about May 1968 in France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

gfarrell80 posted:

Agreed.

Just finished Manufacturing Consent. Should be required reading for all US high schoolers. Some of the case studies get a little in-depth and repetitive. I read the whole thing but I don't think anybody would suffer if they just read the intro to each chapter and summary/conclusions to each chapter. An abridged edition for high schoolers would be useful, perhaps. And the problems he writes about I think have only gotten worse.

Every high schooler should be made to watch They Live accompanied by excerpts from Manufacturing Consent.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like it’s the easiest way to communicate “the media you consume has an influence on you whether you realize it or not, and it is broadly in favor of a capitalist status quo.” Besides you do it in a classroom setting they’re gonna pay attention.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

What are some good non-fiction books about China? Particularly hoping to learn more about the revolution and Mao, but also leading up to modern day.