Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

almost there posted:

Lacan and Zizek 4 lyfe.

I'm wondering... Should Freud be considered leftist lit? For some reason it never seems to be brought up in most discussions like this despite zizek always making the list.

Freud isn't really that leftist or progressive. Totem and Taboos for example is all about the uneducated savage versus the noble and moderne westerner. I think that Edward Said should be om the list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've read Said's book about Freud's Totem and Taboo and I don't really agree with it. Just because Totem and Taboo was tame for it's time doesn't mean it adds anything of value.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

almost there posted:

What? I didn't say it was tame for its time, where are you getting that?
My bad, read it on the phone and misread it it.

quote:

Totem and taboo is making a broader point about desire and I think that's what you're missing here. Actually attempting to understand the basis for desire *is* the leftism part, since, ya know, culture of critique.
It is largely discredited though? Freud was just pulling theories out of his rear end and it isn't more based on actual fact than Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Discourse on Inequality. I'm not saying that Freud is worthless though, I really liked Civilization and Its Discontents.