Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

that passage is probably the best inducement to reading the brothers karamasov i could have seen right now.

christ. 1880 and so many people understood this stuff clearly then. yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

that seems like cynicism arising from the competitive obsession being described in the excerpt. you're making an assumption that anyone who criticises selfishness or material desire is only doing it to feed their ego or wealth, which i don't agree with.

i feel silly getting into a debate about two paragraphs, i just think this:

Xander77 posted:

"come on, stop prioritizing your selfish worldly desires over what I want you to do for my benefit.
is the kind of suspicion about how everyone wants to gently caress you over that keeps people isolated and powerless. even if it's true that they usually do, if we don't try and overcome that default position, then we stay mired in the same state of affairs.

i don't think there's anything spiritual in that excerpt, either. seems like you're superimposing things from elsewhere.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 2, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I'm reading the lonely century right now which isn't blowing my mind so far, but it is interesting because I've been thinking a lot about the various alienating mechanics of capitalism and how is explains so much of not just my own life but pretty much everything I see on a daily basis.

Although, I really would like to read some contemporary books that are comprised mainly of solutions rather than a description of the problem, because at this point I feel like I see the problem clearly. Every book I read seems to be 300 pages of 'this is why it is hosed!' then about 10 pages of 'i dunno, tax the rich, but properly' or something tagged on at the end. Need more, because I'm starting to get a feeling of circling around the same thoughts and not making progress.

I'm sure there are some books like that around, they just don't ever seem to come up in my searches and aren't the ones people most often talk about. I will get around to reading the rest of capital at some point, I've read part of it and various other marx writings, but I don't really understand...why communism has gone so badly in its various incarnations thus far - and while I want to, so I can decide if I think it can be fixed, I also am open to hearing ideas on how to improve the actual reality we have, or alternatives to it which are neither capitalist or communist.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

gfarrell80 posted:

Any deep discussion on this is really outside the scope of this thread. But for a starter I'd recommend Manufacturing Consent, The Jakarta Method, and Blowback Podcast Season 2.

Thanks for those suggestions - I'll take all three.