Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gloria Anzaldua's Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza explores how racism and national boundaries affect the identities of their victims.

Mike Davis's City of Quartz is a thorough Marxist examination of LA's history and growth in the 20th century.

As for fiction, Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle are American classics and relentless indictments of capitalism. His non-fiction Travels with Charley: In Search of America contains a long section highly critical of Jim Crow and segregation when he gets to the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

cda posted:

That book kicks astounding amounts of rear end. Life-changing for me.

It's funny, I wouldn't necessarily have considered it "leftist lit" just because the viewpoint is in some ways too original to fit in any box, though Anzaldua is obviously a leftist.

Hmm yeah. It's maybe not "leftist lit," but I think it's definitely lit leftists (and everyone else, for that matter) should read.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

gfarrell80 posted:

We shot the reincarnation of Jesus.

Faulkner's A Fable is about what would happen if Christ returned during World War 1. Its answer to that question is we'd execute him all over again.