Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For anyone who finds Marx daunting or hard to absorb I would highly recommend David Harvey. He has written companion pieces for Capital Vol. 1 and 2. I haven't read Vol. 2 yet but his Vol. 1 companion helped me out a ton. His Brief History of Neoliberalism is also excellent at delineating exactly what neoliberalism is, how it developed, and how it was adopted globally in one form or another. He also has video lectures on Marx and a bi-weekly lecture series about various Marxist concepts or current events through a Marxist lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Baka-nin posted:

On the other hand, this is the result of Harvey's readings of Marx

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1274716400351948802?s=20

He seems to have completely bought into the bizarre premise that capital flow = production and that we cannot afford to halt the very processes that are already killing us and causing mass starvation.

Since I haven't watched this lecture I'll give Harvey the benefit of the doubt and say there's probably more context than is apparent in this 90-second clip. But it seems to me he's just saying that this isn't the final crisis of capitalism right now and we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking we can overthrow/replace it without building the kinds of distribution systems that would be needed to replace it. It doesn't seem like a very controversial statement to me. It's sort of a banal academic argument anyway because it's not like we're in a position to stop global capital flow and accumulation anytime soon.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 4, 2020

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Yadoppsi posted:

^^This is the thread for leftist books, not anarchism(liberalism). :smug:

Just finished up with Parenti's 'The Assassination of Julius Caesar.' A very breezy read and not much different from modern historiography, but I imagine it was much more transgressive when it came out.

I liked this (and love Parenti in general), but I did think he was a little fast-and-loose when dealing with historical figures who opposed Roman oppression in some fashion. It's a bit weird to take famous quotations attributed to, like, Calgacus, as genuine when we know it was common practice for ancient Roman historians to use famous generals or tribal leaders as mouthpieces for their own views. I still think there's a lot to glean from that because, as Parenti takes a lot of care to point out, historiography has been dominated by the ruling class so it therefore reflects their views and prejudices. So for Calgacus you could use him as a springboard for an ideological rift within the Roman ruling classes of Tacitus' day, etc. rather than the angle Parenti took.

Still though it's a good read and made me totally re-evaluate Clodius from the typical portrayal you get of him from both ancient and modern historians.