Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m surprised he said the quiet part out loud, that these pickup trucks are just toys for rich dudes who never need them for the hauling or towing capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

biznatchio posted:

The Volt had a fuel-care feature where if the gas in your tank was 12 months old (longer than 2-3 months I guess because it has a pressurized gas tank to keep the gas good longer), it would begin burning it off regardless of the state of your battery to get the fuel out of your tank before it gets old enough to cause any damage.

The part that worried me about it is that it'd use the average age of the fuel in your tank... so if I had a quarter tank of gas that hit the 12 month old mark, and added another quarter tank of gas; then the car considered that the entire half tank of gas had an age of 6 months. I don't know how safe doing that actually is.. maybe mixing old gas with newer gas does keep the old gas viable for longer?

That wasn’t to burn gas out of the tank, I don’t think. It would do that after a period of time just as a maintenance run on the engine. I once got a separate “The gas in your tank is getting too old. Either use it, or take your car to the dealer to drain it.” message.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I can't wait to see the Cybertruck become a centerpiece for some sick skateboarding tapes

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Doom Rooster posted:

That wasn’t to burn gas out of the tank, I don’t think. It would do that after a period of time just as a maintenance run on the engine. I once got a separate “The gas in your tank is getting too old. Either use it, or take your car to the dealer to drain it.” message.

The maintenance run was every 30 days, and it only ran the engine for ~6 minutes; and didn't occur at all if you actually used the engine enough during that time period. It comes with a message that tells you it's running regular engine maintenance, along with a percent completion that increases as the maintenance cycle progresses. You could defer a maintenance run once or twice (it would tell you when you started the vehicle that it wanted to do it and allow you to cancel) but then it would insist on doing it. If you interrupted the maintenance cycle by turning off the vehicle before it completes, it would start it up again from scratch the next time you turned the vehicle on.

The fuel burn run is when the average age of the fuel is 365 days, and it'll run the engine until all the fuel is gone, or until you add enough fuel to lower the average age of the fuel enough. It's accompanied by a message informing you that it's running the engine due to fuel age. There's no option to defer.

I had a Volt that very very rarely needed to burn gas, so I saw the monthly maintenance situation often; and even the fuel burn situation more than once (and always resolved it by just adding a little more gas to the tank).

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ooops, Fisker is really bad at running a business:

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/d...vs-it-had-sold/

Also got my full (used EV) tax refund on the Bolt. It's the nicest cheap car I've ever owned. Hooray for being slightly less in debt!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Failson posted:

Ooops, Fisker is really bad at running a business:

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/d...vs-it-had-sold/

If anybody ever wondered what it would look like if a car company wasn't so focused on money: it's this. It would look like this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

If anybody ever wondered what it would look like if a car company wasn't so focused on money: it's this. It would look like this.

yeah but it’s not like the cars they made were good!

usually when people fantasize about this it’s because the cars are supposed to be made with more passion or extra attention to detail or genius or whatever, the cars are too daring or uncompromising or too good of a value, some financially irresponsible thing that is otherwise desired and appreciated by the customer

fisker just made bad cars badly

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 28, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

trilobite terror posted:

yeah but it’s not like the cars they made were good!

usually when people fantasize about this it’s because the cars are supposed to be made with more passion or extra attention to detail or genius or whatever, fisker just made bad cars badly

No one could have predicted that the guy with a trail of failed car companies in his wake would fail at making cars, again!

It is a bit of an indictment on Magna Steyr, they should know what they're doing. Unless the Fisker design was so fundamentally bad that no amount of manufacturing experience could fix it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Magna helped get Ineos off the ground in a fraction of the time that Fisker’s been flailing, although Ineos handled their own manufacturing by buying Daimler’s old Hambach SMART plant (rip SMART, you never lived up to what you could be but you made some legitimately cool poo poo on the way)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Failson posted:

No one could have predicted that the guy with a trail of failed car companies in his wake would fail at making cars, again!

It is a bit of an indictment on Magna Steyr, they should know what they're doing. Unless the Fisker design was so fundamentally bad that no amount of manufacturing experience could fix it?

Magna just screws the things together and they're used to doing it for much more competent entities.

Making cars is very complex and manufacturing is merely one critical piece of it. This is why most poorly managed car companies don't succeed: they never even make it to the point where they hit production.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I’m surprised he said the quiet part out loud, that these pickup trucks are just toys for rich dudes who never need them for the hauling or towing capabilities.

That’s most pickup trucks and most pickup drivers

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am manifesting $25k good ev. Positive vibes radiating from me.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
*the Chevrolet Bolt slowly appears out of the ether*

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Hope they have the parts unlike my Jeep recall still pending from summer 2022.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60295235/hyundai-ioniq-5-kia-ev6-genesis-gv60-ev-power-loss-recall/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I passed this today as it was trying to turn:

Even before I realized what it was I was like, that is the ugliest color car I have ever seen, wait, it's a Cadillac, surely no, it's a Lyriq?!

When I got home I immediately had to check to see if it was a factory color, surely it is awful wrap to match a corporate color or something, but no.

Sorry if any of you have this color car but it was the most hideous color I have ever seen on a car, particularly a Lyriq which I generally find quite handsome.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually like that colour, taste is subjective!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

It should just be a software update unless the fuse has actually blown. I have an appointment for it next month.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

mattfl posted:

Marques Brownlee single handidly destroyed that company lol

It's funny because his review isn't even that negative, he spends 15 minutes praising it and then 5 minutes complaining about the buggy software. Fisker just invoked the Streisand effect on themselves.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

priznat posted:

I actually like that colour, taste is subjective!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

|
Sorry if any of you have this color car but it was the most hideous color I have ever seen on a car, particularly a Lyriq which I generally find quite handsome.

It aint thecolor thats the problem with that shitbox

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It aint thecolor thats the problem with that shitbox

I thought people liked them?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I read an article that Ford has some cheap EVs in the pipeline that haven't been announced yet, but you'll excuse me if I have my doubts about the delivered products.

Ford already released some cheaply made EVs

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The article in the previous page is referencing Ford's economy ev initiative. No specifics of course

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Ford already released some cheaply made EVs

I wouldn't trade my Mach-E for a Model Y if there were $10,000 in the fruck of the Y.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 29, 2024

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

I wouldn't trade my Mach-E for a Model Y if there were $10,000 in the fruck of the Y.

What if there was $10,000 and two EVSEs?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Snowmankilla posted:

I like mine and haven't had any problems with it.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

What if it was $10,000 worth of cocktail shrimp in the frunk

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I will only buy an EV during the life time cocktail shrimp in the frunk offer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

I love ours

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

i’m sorry for your loss

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ford's new European EV is an ID.4 with an Explorer badge.

Honestly probably would if it were offered in the US and replaced the awful VW controls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

Can a Model Y even hold cocktail shrimp in its frunk? Who knows, I've never seen any photographic proof so I doubt it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

Musk hatred means it's impossible for you to have an objective opinion. I wonder how many times a day you think about Elon Musk. Probably dozens.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

What if there was $10,000 and two EVSEs?

lol I love this ridiculous thread lore

Dancing Peasant posted:

thread title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fresh Market sells a pound of cocktail shrimp for 17 dollars, so that's 588 lbs of cocktail shrimp (which should feed about 2,300 guests). You need to keep it on ice so figure on needing at least 100 lbs of ice to keep your shrimp cool. At 1.5L per lb of shrimp, and 0.5L per lb of water, we have 442L of shrimp cocktail and ice. The Mach E has a 133L frunk and the Model Y has a 117L frunk, so we need 4 of either car to transport our $10K of frunk shrimp.

What were we talking about?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Doom Rooster posted:

What if there was $10,000 $69,420 and two EVSEs?

Dancing Peasant posted:

What if it was $10,000 $69,420 worth of cocktail shrimp in the frunk

Talking about a Tesla, gotta add in the dumb Elon joke to make it complete.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fresh Market sells a pound of cocktail shrimp for 17 dollars, so that's 588 lbs of cocktail shrimp (which should feed about 2,300 guests). You need to keep it on ice so figure on needing at least 100 lbs of ice to keep your shrimp cool. At 1.5L per lb of shrimp, and 0.5L per lb of water, we have 442L of shrimp cocktail and ice. The Mach E has a 133L frunk and the Model Y has a 117L frunk, so we need 4 of either car to transport our $10K of frunk shrimp.

What were we talking about?

yes but how much for the refrigeration system? We want the shrimp on hand so it's ready whenever the occasion arises: this isn't a one-time deal.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

biznatchio posted:

*the Chevrolet Bolt slowly appears out of the ether*

he said "good"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Three Olives posted:

It' not my idea of a gorgeous color, but I don't think it's hideous. I'd probably take that over some fleet safe generic color.

We're having easter brunch with my Uncle that took delivery of his oft delayed Lyriq right in the middle of a -30 cold snap a month or two ago which replaced his Mach E which he really liked. I'm curious to hear how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Musk hatred means it's impossible for you to have an objective opinion. I wonder how many times a day you think about Elon Musk. Probably dozens.

I have an objective opinion, they are extremely poorly built, they have poor ride quality, the interior is cheap and wears terribly and their controls are dangerous. I literally have not been in a 3/Y that didn't rattle like crazy. Oh, and FSD is a scam, I don't want to buy a product from a company that is openly trying to scam me.