Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

extremely tangential but i saw a new silverado and that motherfucker's hood is five feet off the ground and level with the bottom of the windshield. they have a forward facing bumpercam or are they just blind to anything less than fifty feet in front of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They should seriously just put mad max style rusty spikes on the front of the modern "light truck", thus removing all ambiguity about the true purpose of making the grill so huge.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Indiana_Krom posted:

They should seriously just put mad max style rusty spikes on the front of the modern "light truck", thus removing all ambiguity about the true purpose of making the grill so huge.

Everyone morning as I drive the kids to school, I tussle their hair and say, “Witness me.”

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Xiahou Dun posted:

Everyone morning as I drive the kids to school, I tussle their hair and say, “Witness me.”

And if you are driving a cybertruck we will say: :mediocre:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I haven't seen any cybertrcks, but have seen a bunch of the new model 3s around. I saw like none then one day I saw 4. It was weird.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I saw two Lyriqs yesterday. (besides the one we were in)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

I saw two Lyriqs yesterday. (besides the one we were in)

Did you turn to the person next to you sand say "I'm seeing double! Four Lyriqs!"

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I mean, yesterday I was driving in the middle of nowhere in rural southern Wisconsin and encountered another model 3. There are like over a million of them on the road now just in the US, it isn't like it is a rare vehicle.

Also they seemed to be in a huge hurry cuz they were seriously hauling rear end and flew by where I was just chilling slow on some back roads to put on 30-50 miles so I could re-torque the lugs after switching my wheels from the winters to the all season set. Well, I can pretty confidently say they were NOT getting 216 Wh/Mi like I was...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Chace Barber from Edison Motors gave a keynote at The InterMountain Logging Conference 2024, talking about the origins of their company and where they are at now. From two guys working as loggers to pay college bills to getting an actual VIN number for their truck, the first truck built in Canada in three decades. It's surprising how far they have come with their minimal resources.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1779612564579647789

This video actually highlights a cool safety feature Teslas, specifically, have, they stop responding to the accelerator pedal if the brake's pressed and pop a warning.

The big Toyota floormat "unintended acceleration" fiasco that lead to a couple deaths a few years ago would have been prevented by something like this.

Oddly, both my ID and Bolt will happily apply the electric motors with both pedals pressed (I just went out and tried it)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Elviscat posted:

This video actually highlights a cool safety feature Teslas, specifically, have, they stop responding to the accelerator pedal if the brake's pressed and pop a warning.

The big Toyota floormat "unintended acceleration" fiasco that lead to a couple deaths a few years ago would have been prevented by something like this.

Oddly, both my ID and Bolt will happily apply the electric motors with both pedals pressed (I just went out and tried it)

Even in vehicles that do power the engine/motors while both pedals are pressed, properly maintained brakes should always win.

But seriously, the stupid aluminum cover on the pedal already de-laminated on that? I've seen bubblegum that makes better glue than that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Did you turn to the person next to you sand say "I'm seeing double! Four Lyriqs!"

I did not. Missed opportunity.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Indiana_Krom posted:

Even in vehicles that do power the engine/motors while both pedals are pressed, properly maintained brakes should always win.

wanna bet your life on that? when a cheap fix would mean you don't have to?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cactus Ghost posted:

But then how am I supposed to do a brake stand burnout? Did you think of that smart guy? :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cactus Ghost posted:

The fix wasn't really the point of his comment there, it's the correct observation esp on modern cars the brakes will stop you in the case of a throttle stick even if you got loads of hp. You need the hp / brake force disparagy of a drag racing car to beat the brakes with power

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also the cybrytrk is a piece of poo poo, lol what the gently caress???

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Saw a black Abarth 500e sitting next to me today. Pretty stylish car, but god drat cars with only a center console and no buttons need to be outlawed. I get it looks cleaner, but what a safety nightmare

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 15, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The fix wasn't really the point of his comment there, it's the correct observation esp on modern cars the brakes will stop you in the case of a throttle stick even if you got loads of hp. You need the hp / brake force disparagy of a drag racing car to beat the brakes with power

It happened in the Toyota case, WOT means no vacuum in the booster after the first push (N/A for this thread), plus trying to gently slow down VS using everything you have to stop immediately, all combined to make the brakes ineffective (probably). There were 89 deaths in that case.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

that's the difference between what you picture hypothetically should happen, and what did happen. what did happen was a bunch of people spent their last moments in terror and confusion as what should happen, didnt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never understood why that didn’t damage Toyota’s reputation more, but I guess people don’t expect large appliances to kill them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elviscat posted:

My cheap alibaba e-bike cuts out the motor if the break is engaged. Don’t pretend this is some modern marvel.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
lol my bike doesn’t let me pedal if I’m holding the brakes bc the chain doesn’t move. electric nothing

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Indiana_Krom posted:

But seriously, the stupid aluminum cover on the pedal already de-laminated on that? I've seen bubblegum that makes better glue than that.

Depending on the adhesive in partial shear like that is just lovely engineering. A simple lip on the bottom, or better, an interlocking physical interface between the pedal and the cover would be essentially indestructible, and cost basically nothing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Radia posted:

lol my bike doesn’t let me pedal if I’m holding the brakes bc the chain doesn’t move. electric nothing

Maybe with those weak little noodle legs you got

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

bird with big dick posted:

Maybe with those weak little noodle legs you got

gently caress!!!! gently caress you!!!!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon State EV credit opened back up and after some creative tax filing, we qualify. Finally time to pull the trigger on that new car. Strongly considering the Bolt EUV, but a bit concerned about the battery history. Is the only solution for 23 Bolts that software update that reduces driving range to under 200 miles?

Also been looking at the Kia Niro, though I'd likely have to go used to get a competitive price with the Bolt.

Anyone with an overall EV or PHEV recommendation for transporting a family of 4, preferably under 25K with tax credits?

There's a dealer in Milwaukie (because they all are), that just does electric cars. It's where I bought my Bolt. I'd recommend them, they have standard and EUVs on the lot. Also a Honda Clarity PHEV, if you're feeling frisky.

https://www.plattauto.com/inventory/?pager=25&page_no=2&sort_by=price_asc

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Every time I see somebody on the highway obviously riding their brake pedal, I try to remind myself that I'm watching a driver who will never confuse the brake and accelerator pedals.

Putting them right next to each other was horrible user interface design, and people pay for that decision with life and limb every day.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

Every time I see somebody on the highway obviously riding their brake pedal, I try to remind myself that I'm watching a driver who will never confuse the brake and accelerator pedals.

Putting them right next to each other was horrible user interface design, and people pay for that decision with life and limb every day.

Should be two separate foot wells like an f1 car

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Picked up a new Model Y LR yesterday. It’s wild how nice of a drive it is. All the techy stuff is right up my alley, so I’m definitely enjoying that aspect. Not carrying keys around and having my phone’s Bluetooth just open the door is really nice, especially if my hands are full. It’s going to take a while to get used to the regen brakes being applied when you pull your foot off the gas. Way different feel than any non-EV I’ve driven. My smaller kids are loving jazzed about the third row and are mad that I didn't have car seats ready for them to go. One said I should throw our WRX "in the big trash can" because he doesn't like it anymore lol.

I'm also really liking the stealth grey color. I originally picked it because I like grey, but also it was the only color that didn't cost an extra $1500-2k. I wanted black, but not enough to spend $2k on.

I have a 4-month trial of FSD and gave it a whirl on a few trips across town for some errands. Other than one instance where it drove on the dividing line of a 2-lane entrance to a roundabout (no traffic around), I haven’t had to disengage and take over at all. It’s actually pretty wild how well it works and how it can map/follow like 20 cars and stop lights at once on the screen.

In this scenario, there were 3 left-turn lanes and it put me in the middle one. I was really nervous about it staying in the middle lane through the turn and it nailed it perfectly. Color me impressed so far. I don't think I'll keep it when the trial expires, despite the price reduction, but it is very neat. I feel like I'm watching one of my teenagers drive, so anxiety is a bit higher than just driving it myself.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 16, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Watch the corners on fsd, from twitter it seems to like curbs a bit too much.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Picked up a new Model Y LR yesterday. It’s wild how nice of a drive it is. All the techy stuff is right up my alley, so I’m definitely enjoying that aspect. Not carrying keys around and having my phone’s Bluetooth just open the door is really nice, especially if my hands are full. It’s going to take a while to get used to the regen brakes being applied when you pull your foot off the gas. Way different feel than any non-EV I’ve driven. My smaller kids are loving jazzed about the third row and are mad that I didn't have car seats ready for them to go. One said I should throw our other car "in the big trash can" because he doesn't like it anymore lol.

I'm also really liking the stealth grey color. I orignally picked it because I like grey, but also it was the only color that didn't cost an extra $1500-2k. I wanted black, but not enough to spend $2k on.

I have a 4-month trial of FSD and gave it a whirl on a few trips across town for some errands. Other than one instance where it drove on the dividing line of a 2-lane entrance to a roundabout (no traffic around), I haven’t had to disengage and take over at all. It’s actually pretty wild how well it works and how it can map/follow like 20 cars and stop lights at once on the screen.

In this scenario, there were 3 left-turn lanes and it put me in the middle one. I was really nervous about it staying in the middle lane through the turn and it nailed it perfectly. Color me impressed so far. I don't think I'll keep it when the trial expires, despite the price reduction, but it is very neat. I feel like I'm watching one of my teenagers drive, so anxiety is a bit higher than just driving it myself.

Congrats! and lol at

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One said I should throw our other car "in the big trash can" because he doesn't like it anymore lol.

I've tried the FSD a bit with the current demo, and I was terrified the whole time. I feel like it does ok when things are easy, but when things are hard it just doesn't work well at all. And I live in a place with construction, and bad lane markers and what not.

Like a year ago or 2 ago, I got a loaner model S with FSD, and had essentially the same experience. the only thing I liked about FSD was the 'ding' it did when the light turned green. But then they added that to all cars and I was pretty satisfied, of never wanting anything more from the FSD stack.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Speaking of self driving, my Hyundai Kona only has regular cruise control so I couldn’t wait to try adaptive on my rental Toyota. It’s perfect. I think it’s safer than me driving the car by myself. It dealt perfectly with cars suddenly merging into my lane. It made a two hour drive so much less stressful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Speaking of self driving, my Hyundai Kona only has regular cruise control so I couldn’t wait to try adaptive on my rental Toyota. It’s perfect. I think it’s safer than me driving the car by myself. It dealt perfectly with cars suddenly merging into my lane. It made a two hour drive so much less stressful.

see, that's the appropriate reaction. not the weirdos who get furious that adaptive does things like "allow people to merge" and "not tailgate"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I drive on the one freeway in my metro area (lol) and think it would be too chaotic for self drive, people just merging all over, random stops, etc. It definitely keeps you awake!

I have tried the pilot assist a little bit when it wasn’t too nuts and the lane keeping works really well. I just never was one to use cruise control that much so it feels weird to me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The biggest problem with FSD is that every person that is around you is unwilling and unknowing participants in the beta.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
and yet we're surrounded by human beings who's driving skills can only be described as "beta-tier"

The monthly Dashcams Australia Youtubes tell me all i need to know about what i should be afraid of on the road

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One thing I forgot to mention is the Tesla buying experience was 6 billion times better than literally every other car I’ve purchased in my life. No price haggling, no going back and forth over extended warranty, LoJack, oil changes, VIN etching, haggling about trade-in prices, and whatever else. The original purchase was made via Apple Pay on my phone, and literally everything else was done in the Tesla app: financial transactions, paperwork, delivery appointment setup, everything. Ridiculously easy. And picking up the car, I was in and out in probably 20 mins, which included 15 mins of a dude giving me a Tesla tutorial.

Going back to buying a car any other way would seem like a chore after that.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

FlapYoJacks posted:

The biggest problem with FSD is that every person that is around you is unwilling and unknowing participants in the beta.

I sure didn’t sign up to let Tesla beta FSD on the same roads as me and Tesla not being honest about its crash data makes it all that much worse. Isn’t Elon one of the “move fast, break things” tech bros who thinks people dying now so that some are saved later is totally fine?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that's more credit than he deserves; people dying now for make number go up is more like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cactus Ghost posted:

that's more credit than he deserves; people dying now for make number go up is more like it

To the enlightened Effective Philanthropist, there is no difference between "number go up" and "saving lives later."