Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Russian Bear posted:

The 4 bizzy was not really a collab as much as Subaru getting to have Toyota's car so they can have an easier time with emission rules. Subaru can't afford to develop an EV.

I do love how they're advertising on the radio that you can now get Subaru's legendary all wheel drive in an electric vehicle.

Chuckle every time I hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did the solterra have the “wheels fall off” issue the bz4x did because you might be 3 wheel drive

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I was charging a few weeks ago and wound up next to an EV9 and it was like the limo in Aphex Twin's Windowlicker video

It looks bigger in person because in pictures the massive wheels disguise the sheer bulk of the thing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

It looks bigger in person because in pictures the massive wheels disguise the sheer bulk of the thing.

The original ioniq5 media deck for europe used tall people to make it look tiny, people went in expecting golf instead of passat size.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlowBloke posted:

The original ioniq5 media deck for europe used tall people to make it look tiny, people went in expecting golf instead of passat size.

My dad has one and it's odd because without size context it looks like a Golf sized car, and then you get near it and it's like a 9/8 scale Golf. It wasn't just the media deck.

edit: probably the fact that it rides on dubs is part of it

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nissan's 2017 MP3 player plays files in the order they were written to the thumb drive. :wtc:

This feels like it was written by a college sophomore who didn't care about getting a C in the class.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

Nissan's 2017 MP3 player plays files in the order they were written to the thumb drive. :wtc:

This feels like it was written by a college sophomore who didn't care about getting a C in the class.

Your 2017 Nissan mp3 player backend was probably designed 2003, based on code from the late 90s, by the most junior engineer they could find who "knew how to use computers", as an afterthought, because someone in marketing decided they needed to have this feature.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Your 2017 Nissan mp3 player backend was probably designed 2003, based on code from the late 90s, by the most junior engineer they could find who "knew how to use computers", as an afterthought, because someone in marketing decided they needed to have this feature.

Yeah, that feels about right.

Still, it's pretty cool that I can load the car up with 32 gigs of MP3s. The crappy 2017 LEAF battery will reach 0% SOH before the stereo reaches the end of the playlist.

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017

dissss posted:

I just leased one. It’s enormous. I love it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finger Prince posted:

My 2023 Silverado will not remember where I left a thumb drive MP3 file when I shut the truck off. It starts from the beginning. Each time. So you have to fast forward to where you think it was you left off.

I mean, poo poo, every single automobile I've had up until this had that figured out, including my previous 2020 Silverado. Not a big deal for a song obviously, but I generally use it for 1+ hour long podcasts. Yes, I know people mostly use their phones, but it's so lovely to connect with android auto I just use a thumb drive because it's at least reliable.... other than the whole losing the place you were in a 4 hour podcast. :argh:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

priznat posted:

Did the solterra have the “wheels fall off” issue the bz4x did because you might be 3 wheel drive

:goonsay: If there are only 3 wheels on the car, it's still all wheel drive

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yes, I know people mostly use their phones, but it's so lovely to connect with android auto I just use a thumb drive because it's at least reliable....

Hey, so, you didn’t fill out and surveys for GM recently, did you?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

priznat posted:

It did, I think I mentioned in the thread before but I had one for a month and half Rental and the only thing that car had different from the fork was the logos, even the APP to remote start it is under Toyota in the PlayStore and appstore

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I think the difference in the fork and solterra is you can't Turn off all wheel drive in the solterra as Subaru's gimmick is that you can't Turn it off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Celexi posted:

I think the difference in the fork and solterra is you can't Turn off all wheel drive in the solterra as Subaru's gimmick is that you can't Turn it off

Lmao, so it has even less range, amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wayne Knight posted:

Hey, so, you didn’t fill out and surveys for GM recently, did you?
No, I've never received one but I'd certainly voice my displeasure if I did.

It's actually a company truck so I don't get any paperwork other than recall letters which take about 6 months to make their way to me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Rivian had the R2 and R3X out in San Jose today.

:allears:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

priznat posted:

It's part of the Predictive Weight Reduction package that helps make the car temporarily lighter for certain offroading scenarios.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

sinequanon01 posted:

I just leased one. It’s enormous. I love it.

Yeah no poo poo it's huge. We have a Sorento PHEV which is considered a pretty large vehicle here in commieland, but the EV9 is like 20cm longer and 8cm wider. Considering the Sorento is bad enough trying to maneuver around parking garages here I think I'll have to give it a pass. Cool car though and very nicely put together.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those Rivians look excellent. I would love to get an R1S but they're too spendy and I don't need the offroad capability. The R2S would be perfect

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That Rivian is the first car in a long time where I have some interest in and no denying it looks pretty good

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Yeah, that feels about right.

Still, it's pretty cool that I can load the car up with 32 gigs of MP3s. The crappy 2017 LEAF battery will reach 0% SOH before the stereo reaches the end of the playlist.

The poverty spec Leaf had a really nice radio, just fast, seamless connection to Bluetooth that worked every time once set up.

The last time I saw a thumb drive in a stereo was when I took possession of my dad's 01 Ranger with one still stuck in it, right before I tore the head unit out (still worked but all the LEDs for the 9-segment were lit up all the time, I went with him to CarToys 20 years earlier to get it put in) and replaced it with a cheap Bluetooth one.

What I'm saying is you're old.

Speaking of.

slidebite posted:

My 2023 Silverado will not remember where I left a thumb drive MP3 file when I shut the truck off. It starts from the beginning. Each time. So you have to fast forward to where you think it was you left off.

I mean, poo poo, every single automobile I've had up until this had that figured out, including my previous 2020 Silverado. Not a big deal for a song obviously, but I generally use it for 1+ hour long podcasts. Yes, I know people mostly use their phones, but it's so lovely to connect with android auto I just use a thumb drive because it's at least reliable.... other than the whole losing the place you were in a 4 hour podcast. :argh:

I think you're doing it wrong somehow, my 22 Bolt should have similar infotainment to yours, and I've had problems playing podcasts maybe twice? In a year of commuting, and I listen to 2 hours of podcasts a day. Have you tried a different app?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
R3X is neat, but what is up with that lower rear valence/bumper?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

R3X is neat, but what is up with that lower rear valence/bumper?

I'm not sure what's up with the bumper, but the lower valence has an accessory receiver system of some sort, with two arms that connect to the car. I can't find much info on it, and the system seems to be on the R2 and R3. Not sure if it would also have a regular towing hitch receiver, but I assume so? Also I imagine that the accessories would have to be Rivian exclusive so $$$, but might be cool, as they might be stronger/able to handle more tongue weight.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's hard to imagine anything being stronger than a hitch reciever. it's just a big steel tube. lighter, maybe

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of.

I think you're doing it wrong somehow, my 22 Bolt should have similar infotainment to yours, and I've had problems playing podcasts maybe twice? In a year of commuting, and I listen to 2 hours of podcasts a day. Have you tried a different app?
It's entirely possible, but I'm sure how I could do it wrong. It's using the default infotainment MP3 player when you select USB as a source. I don't see a way to change that even if I wanted to.

I'm sure I could try and use my phone as the device, but like I said it's clunky and infuriating. Either the wireless drops out, or even a cabled connection if it plug it in. It's not my phone or cable as it's been with several different devices :( Using a USB thumb drive full of MP3s should be nuts simple.

I just looked at a 22 Bolt infotainment review and there are some similarities but I'm not sure the software back-end is the same, seems to be some differences too. But if you have any ideas, I'm 100% game to try something.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

TheGoatTrick posted:

Tan interior, teal paint, and red mirror caps? *fans self*

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
It's a better version of the Compact Cruiser EV that Toyota teased and will never make!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

It's entirely possible, but I'm sure how I could do it wrong. It's using the default infotainment MP3 player when you select USB as a source. I don't see a way to change that even if I wanted to.

I'm sure I could try and use my phone as the device, but like I said it's clunky and infuriating. Either the wireless drops out, or even a cabled connection if it plug it in. It's not my phone or cable as it's been with several different devices :( Using a USB thumb drive full of MP3s should be nuts simple.

I just looked at a 22 Bolt infotainment review and there are some similarities but I'm not sure the software back-end is the same, seems to be some differences too. But if you have any ideas, I'm 100% game to try something.

Try a highly rated 3rd party MP3 player like Pi music.

Or use something like Spotify or Amazon for podcasts, if they're available, Amazon is good at picking up where I left off in podcasts, and you can download them to your phone.

Does the infotainment let you choose Bluetooth only? Mine defaults to BT if AA isn't selected, and it's slightly more stable/reliable, just plays whatever the phone's playing and allows track selection, doesn't drain the battery like AA/Carplay wireless.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheGoatTrick posted:

I'm getting strong Lancia Delta Integrale vibes

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
God it looks beautiful on the outside. Shame about the iPad dash garbage though

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
EA opened their new fast charging station in Rock Springs, WY earlier this week after several months being fully constructed but not brought online for whatever reason. This is a relatively big deal as it's on I-80, and before it was 200 miles between Evanston and Rawlins, and that's now cut in half.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Every single cable cut off at the charging station I stopped at today. :facepalm: The note on Plugshare said the cables were lying on the ground (I read it after I arrived, obviously). So they didn't steal the cables...just vandalized?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
There is a cutaway on fuel pumps so if someone drives away with it still attached to the car it won’t damage the pump… maybe the time is coming when ICE cars pull up to the station every hose is gone.

In all seriousness though it just shows how riled up people are about something that has zero effect on them, so pointless.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It could always just be dickhead teenagers.

I dunno if you meant an L2 or an L3 station, but I would never have the balls to cut an L3 cable, I've seen HVDC arc flashes before, and I KNOW it's safe and interlocked but...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah L3. Thicc. "Only" 100kw. I wanted to see if I could really hit 174 amps on Chademo like Bjorn Nyland. I'm sure nobody was plugged in at the time of the cut though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

There is a cutaway on fuel pumps so if someone drives away with it still attached to the car it won’t damage the pump… maybe the time is coming when ICE cars pull up to the station every hose is gone.

This future is detailed in SAE J3400.

It will be a CCS2 connector on the charger side, and you'll bring your own cable.

cruft fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 20, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TheGoatTrick posted:

Gat drat that 1980s-rear end interior is getting to me in al the right ways :allears:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

This future is detailed in SAE J3400.

It will be a CCS2 connector on the charger side, and you'll bring your own cable.

I think that only applies to L2 cables. DCFC cables will probably always be permanently attached because they require liquid cooling to handle the 600+ amps it takes while still being light and flexible enough for ordinary people to use.

Also isn't the other end of the J3400 detachable cable spec just the Mennekes connector and not the full CCS2 combo (Mennekes + DC pins)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I think the thing I hate most about public charging is needing multiple different apps, some of which require funds on deposit. Just give me a loving credit card reader.