Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Uh yeah domestic truck manufacturers don't build those anymore unless it's the stripper work truck package. It's all mega crew cabs with an ~average dick inches worth of bed.

You can buy the work truck packages though. They sell them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

One would hope that as we transition to electric vehicles, we might see the end of OVER FOUR FEET OF PEDESTRIAN CRUSHING GRILLE pickups and SUVs, but sadly without regulatory pressure, it's probably just going to get worse as battery costs drop and efficiency ceases to matter.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I saw a Cybertruck in person for the first time today.

That is easily the ugliest vehicle I’ve ever seen.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Finger Prince posted:

One would hope that as we transition to electric vehicles, we might see the end of OVER FOUR FEET OF PEDESTRIAN CRUSHING GRILLE pickups and SUVs, but sadly without regulatory pressure, it's probably just going to get worse as battery costs drop and efficiency ceases to matter.

This is one of the sadder things about our culture, here we have the ability to completely redefine what a car/truck is with a BEV and instead we get an updated grill. :doh:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Russian Bear posted:

All new trucks are bad.

someone post the every car is a piece of poo poo meme, i cant find it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

raggedphoto posted:

This is one of the sadder things about our culture, here we have the ability to completely redefine what a car/truck is with a BEV and instead we get an updated grill. :doh:

is it so much to ask for to have a compact pickup, or a cabover van. the god drat engine isnt even there. theres nothing there. fake engine

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BigFactory posted:

You can buy the work truck packages though. They sell them

Yeah, alongside the 99% of short bed crew cab ones that get used for commuting and mall trips, that would be better replaced by a crossover that has a bed and gets 30+ MPG.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

is it so much to ask for to have a compact pickup, or a cabover van. the god drat engine isnt even there. theres nothing there. fake engine

How about both?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

I feel like cab over world have a hard time meeting safety standards because it won't have a crumple zone

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gnoman posted:

If you routinely transfer things that are tall, an open bed has serious advantages. The stuff I take whenever I go camping fits easily into a short-bed pickup, but wouldn't fit into a van or SUV at all.

Wtf are you taking camping that won’t fit in a van? Upright piano?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

bird with big dick posted:

Wtf are you taking camping that won’t fit in a van? Upright piano?

Our gear fills an entire six-foot bed even with stowing the tent and such vertically. Particularly since we don't disassemble the full-sized grill.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Our gear fills an entire six-foot bed even with stowing the tent and such vertically. Particularly since we don't disassemble the full-sized grill.

Oh, you mean like racetrack camping.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is interesting I rarely see the overlander types with fullsize trucks, always smaller ones like tacomas/rangers or body on frame SUVs like a 4 runner.

I see a lot of them around, all festooned with gas tanks that makes me wonder how those tanks aren't instantly stolen.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Oh wait this is a serious post

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

priznat posted:

It is interesting I rarely see the overlander types with fullsize trucks, always smaller ones like tacomas/rangers or body on frame SUVs like a 4 runner.

I see a lot of them around, all festooned with gas tanks that makes me wonder how those tanks aren't instantly stolen.

Full size trucks are very, very bad at actually going off-road, in the overlanding sense.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kirios posted:

I saw a Cybertruck in person for the first time today.

That is easily the ugliest vehicle I’ve ever seen.

i walked past a vacant office complex in silicon valley today, there were probably almost 20 of them just sitting there

i've seen a lot of model 3s and ys here before so tesla might be leasing this place out for staging before delivery or whatever but i just laughed at seeing a bunch of these just sitting out in the open in some janky fenced off office building

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cactus Ghost posted:

someone post the every car is a piece of poo poo meme, i cant find it

quote:

Not making GBS threads on the maverick, it's fine and inexpensive. But it's not a full sized truck and it isn't supposed to be one. There's nothing about the maverick that you couldn't do with a Bronco Sport. "Truck" usability requires fitting a plywood sheet flat between the wheel wells, to me (and many others).

New ranger can do it, but the back seat is a major step down from an F-150 (100% fold vs 60/40 (and kid in car seat makes that a big deal when trying to carry kid+stuff in the cab), Ranger has tiny cubbies underneath instead of a flat floor, etc). I really wish they'd made a ranger lightning instead of an F-150 lightning. It would play to the dimensions' strengths much better. People don't try to tow 10k lbs behind a Ranger/Tacoma.

The more full sized piece of poo poo dual cab is in fact loving awful at being anything else other than a waste of resources and yeah about that plywood sheet in a dual cab bed.......

(And note DUAL CAB, a long bed single cab or crew cab isnt so noxious and actually can do truck stuff like carry a plywood sheet but they are still absurdly and needlessly too loving tall)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My FIL has a Chevy Avalanche and now I think that style with the "midgate" is a pretty good compromise between 2nd row seating and carrying a sheet of plywood. Shame the thing is a boat built on a Suburban frame.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Elviscat posted:

How about both?

unfortunately this is a normally proportioned pickup with a really weird windshield. Look at where the drivers seat is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t know how it is in kangaroo humping land but In the US crew cab is the big one. Ie ford has super cab which is the shorter clamshell door one and super crew which is the biggest with full size doors. I believe Toyota called their small one extended cab and their big one crew cab.

Then dodge has the additional mega cab which is crew cab plus another 8” or something so that the rear seats can also recline or you can put poo poo behind them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I feel like cab over world have a hard time meeting safety standards because it won't have a crumple zone

And the incel camino does? Make it electric and regulations seem to disappear.

kill me now posted:

unfortunately this is a normally proportioned pickup with a really weird windshield. Look at where the drivers seat is.

Exactly. Make it a true cab forward. Like 60s vans.

priznat posted:

They suck rear end at it and take on hilarious amounts of body damage the instant the trail gets pinched. hth. It's called fool sized for a reason.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FISHMANPET posted:

My FIL has a Chevy Avalanche and now I think that style with the "midgate" is a pretty good compromise between 2nd row seating and carrying a sheet of plywood. Shame the thing is a boat built on a Suburban frame.
I had a avalanche for a short while in the mid 00s, and I really liked the midgate system with the fold down rear seats and the hard cargo cover. Very utilitarian. The build quality was utter trash agree and it was massive but the concept with the right size vehicle would be great and I'd be interested.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

kill me now posted:

Its not a true cab-over-engine design. But its also not a modern styled behemoth either. This schematic is for the van, but its exactly the same except the pictured street view window there is replaced with some extra front storage so the sight lines are somewhat worse.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sitting over the front axle feels like total dog poo poo, unless using those super tall hydraulic seats, like European tractor trailers. The egg van posted above would be better off with a conventional hood, but it's got the driver's position right.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cables at the local EA got cut again, but this time EA says they’re not fixing it and it’ll remained closed until the local cops… do something. I’m not really sure what they’ll do, so maybe it’ll just stick around busted forever.

Nice!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Elviscat posted:

How about both?

lol too bad the company got mismanaged and vanity-spent into oblivion

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

lol too bad the company got mismanaged and vanity-spent into oblivion

Is this canoo? Also some light SEC fraud

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Its not a true cab-over-engine design. But its also not a modern styled behemoth either. This schematic is for the van, but its exactly the same except the pictured street view window there is replaced with some extra front storage so the sight lines are somewhat worse.

I want a truck that lets me flash my hog at the people I'm running over

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

trilobite terror posted:

I want a truck that lets me flash my hog at the people I'm running over

The manspreadin' mobile

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do you guys try to rent EVs when you’re in a different city? We’re visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I was looking to use it as an excuse to try different makes of EVs on Turo. The area’s pretty sparse on non-Tesla fast chargers and there’s no L2 charging at our Airbnb, though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why would you rent a car that you cannot charge?

There are plenty of Teslas available for rent, and that's because they're easier to deal with. Just remembered that you will be paying extra fees if you drive an extra miles and charging more than you're supposed to. Read the fine print

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Why would you rent a car that you cannot charge?

There are plenty of Teslas available for rent, and that's because they're easier to deal with. Just remembered that you will be paying extra fees if you drive an extra miles and charging more than you're supposed to. Read the fine print

Fun fact about the whole “drive extra miles part of your post:

https://x.com/factschaser/status/1782283227748536461

Seems like Tesla is counting a kilometer as a mile.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Do you guys try to rent EVs when you’re in a different city? We’re visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I was looking to use it as an excuse to try different makes of EVs on Turo. The area’s pretty sparse on non-Tesla fast chargers and there’s no L2 charging at our Airbnb, though.

when i was in LA in the fall i looked into it and they were charging a premium for the "privilege" of EV so i got a kia soul, which was a decent car

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FlapYoJacks posted:

Fun fact about the whole “drive extra miles part of your post:

https://x.com/factschaser/status/1782283227748536461

Seems like Tesla is counting a kilometer as a mile.

Those posts are all over the place. One guy says 25 extra miles on a 1460 mile trip which is within the margin of error on a speedometer.

Several people just say “I usually drive 12,000 miles a year but it says I drove 15,000 last year!” Which isn’t the best evidence.

I accidentally overcharged my Tesla to 95% after getting back from a road trip, maybe I’ll go burn some electrons and see what mine says. I’ve never paid that much attention but I really doubt it’s 30%+ off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vegetable posted:

So far I've only rented Teslas non-locally. If I had overnight AC charging I would try another make too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The odometer discrepancy sounds like something that could easily be monitored and replicated. The fact that all we have is anecdotal and misaligned posts, is most likely nothing but a trendy topic/hashtag to attach yourself to.

26 missing miles or of 1400 is just stupid.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Are you deliberately mis-reading those posts? It's off by like 40%

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

We generally try to. The "manager's special" at Hertz is usually very good value and comparable to their ICE rates. Hertz went all-in on an EV fleet because they were struggling financially and it allowed them to carve a niche nobody was really serving, as well as drastically reducing their maintenance costs. My wife got a Model 3 in London once, and I got one in Orlando once. Since then it's been all Polestar 2s (we mainly rent when we travel to England).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Those posts are all over the place. One guy says 25 extra miles on a 1460 mile trip which is within the margin of error on a speedometer.

Several people just say “I usually drive 12,000 miles a year but it says I drove 15,000 last year!” Which isn’t the best evidence.

I accidentally overcharged my Tesla to 95% after getting back from a road trip, maybe I’ll go burn some electrons and see what mine says. I’ve never paid that much attention but I really doubt it’s 30%+ off.

proof positive that owning a tesla makes you stupid. the post says they expected the drive to be 20 miles and it indicates 25 after arriving. odo goes from 1460 to 1485.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing posted:

Are you deliberately mis-reading those posts? It's off by like 40%

One person says it's 100% off but her evidence is "feelings." e: actually later she says it's 1000% off because it says she drove less than 600 miles, but her car says she drove 6,174 miles.

I just tested mine and it's dead on. Google maps says 24.7 miles, odometer recorded 25 miles, sum of 3 trip odos was 24 miles.

e: other guy says 300% difference because he had 40 extra miles after taking his car to a garage for work on his rims.

I wonder what other possible explanation there could be for 40 additional miles on your car after dropping it off at a garage. Also has multiple sons, wonder if they're driving age.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2024