Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

I’m 3 weeks into used bolt ownership and so far my only real complaint is the ride quality. Genuinely curious what about the bolt isn’t good considering the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I have an objective opinion, they are extremely poorly built, they have poor ride quality, the interior is cheap and wears terribly and their controls are dangerous. I literally have not been in a 3/Y that didn't rattle like crazy. Oh, and FSD is a scam, I don't want to buy a product from a company that is openly trying to scam me.

Yet still better than the Mach-e.

You're thinking about Elon Musk right now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

I’m 3 weeks into used bolt ownership and so far my only real complaint is the ride quality. Genuinely curious what about the bolt isn’t good considering the price?

The general (not universal) thread consensus is that the Bolt kicks rear end.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

cruft posted:

The general (not universal) thread consensus is that the Bolt kicks rear end.

4+ years of Bolt ownership, incredibly happy with my purchase. Only disappointment is getting $1,400 instead of a new battery. I'm not even sure that's a bad trade, just feels a bit like a bait-n-switch given the messaging.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Got the model 3 yesterday. Long range RWD (2023). Didn't expect it to have the heated steering wheel and heated back seats, thought those weren't available on this option so nice little surprise.

I never thought I would actually buy a brand new car so I am pretty stoked :3: Also this thing is just generally awesome. I was expecting the performance to be noticeably different to the AWD Highland version that I test drove, but it's really not, handling and acceleration are amazing though I'll admit I have little to compare it to.

Apparently all electric vehicles have to be delivered with <50% battery charge in UK? I actually had a lot of driving to do yesterday for work after I picked the car up, was very glad to find that the battery estimates you get when you enter a destination in navigation, are very accurate. Made it home with 9% remaining, I think you're meant to try to avoid going that low very often but happily we already set up our home charger so I was able to go back up to the 80% threshold overnight in about 5-6 hours. Home charging is wild. I was driving home on my usual route and my brain poked me when I turned onto the last road before my house that has a petrol station on it lol, had to remind myself I didn't have to stop to fuel up.

Coming from an old crappy car adaptive cruise was actually the thing I was looking forward to most in some ways and I am not disappointed. It very occasionally wonks out a little bit in that it will sometimes slow down when in a tight spot on a sharp enough corner where there's lots of traffic, like it struggles to see a clear way through. Otherwise it's amazing.
Also surprising to me is that I've used the lane keeping a lot so far as well (enhanced autopilot) and it is very good. Again just has the occasional moment where it slows down when in a tight spot on a particularly sharp corner but only rarely. Lane changing by hitting the indicator is fun too. I may miss this when my three month free trial runs out. Though obviously I haven't tested it on a massively long trip or anything yet, but I have been driving a whole lot in past 24hrs.
I know other car makers have this stuff (and it's probably better for all I know), but it's still a godsend for me in London traffic.

Ok this got way too long sorry for gushing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

It doesnt' really matter how good the car is (it isn't) if it's sold by a nazi piece of poo poo

There's some information on the Xiaomi EV

quote:

The engines are all in the somewhat silly-named “HyperEngine” family, with the “V8” one making 570 horsepower, the “V6” making 295 hp, and the “V6s” making 369 hp. These are all comparable to the horsepower range of the Model 3, which ranges from 271 to 425 hp. Xiaomi says the SU7 Max version of the car will be able to do 0-100 kph (0-62 in freedom units) in 2.78 seconds
Xiaomi has also self-developed CTB Integrated Battery Technology through innovative Inverted Cell Technology, multifunctional elastic interlayer, and a minimalistic wiring system; it features a battery integration efficiency of 77.8%, the highest of CTB batteries worldwide, a 24.4% overall performance improvement, and a height reduction of 17mm, with a maximum battery capacity of up to 150 kWh and theoretical CLTC recharge range exceeding 1200 km.
150 kWh seems pretty crazy in a sedan?

They also claim to use "hyper die-casting", must be fun if it gets damaged in an accident

https://www.theautopian.com/huge-smartphone-company-xiaomi-just-showed-the-world-their-under-30000-tesla-model-3-fighter/

Probably better not to send any money to the CCP either though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

mobby_6kl posted:

It doesnt' really matter how good the car is (it isn't) if it's sold by a nazi piece of poo poo

There's some information on the Xiaomi EV

150 kWh seems pretty crazy in a sedan?

They also claim to use "hyper die-casting", must be fun if it gets damaged in an accident

https://www.theautopian.com/huge-smartphone-company-xiaomi-just-showed-the-world-their-under-30000-tesla-model-3-fighter/

Hyper die-casting is probably just gigacasting by another name. If it gets damaged in an accident it isn't really that different from a conventional plate welded frame; they have to cut off the broken portion and weld a new piece on. Doing so is totally possible but for the most part if you are in a crash that has significant damage reach the frame it is going to be a total loss anyway, so repairs being "different" (not harder or easier) isn't particularly relevant.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

raggedphoto posted:

Trick question, none of it is good because all of it is great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

El Grillo posted:

Got the model 3 yesterday. Long range RWD (2023). Didn't expect it to have the heated steering wheel and heated back seats, thought those weren't available on this option so nice little surprise.

I never thought I would actually buy a brand new car so I am pretty stoked :3: Also this thing is just generally awesome. I was expecting the performance to be noticeably different to the AWD Highland version that I test drove, but it's really not, handling and acceleration are amazing though I'll admit I have little to compare it to.

Apparently all electric vehicles have to be delivered with <50% battery charge in UK? I actually had a lot of driving to do yesterday for work after I picked the car up, was very glad to find that the battery estimates you get when you enter a destination in navigation, are very accurate. Made it home with 9% remaining, I think you're meant to try to avoid going that low very often but happily we already set up our home charger so I was able to go back up to the 80% threshold overnight in about 5-6 hours. Home charging is wild. I was driving home on my usual route and my brain poked me when I turned onto the last road before my house that has a petrol station on it lol, had to remind myself I didn't have to stop to fuel up.

Coming from an old crappy car adaptive cruise was actually the thing I was looking forward to most in some ways and I am not disappointed. It very occasionally wonks out a little bit in that it will sometimes slow down when in a tight spot on a sharp enough corner where there's lots of traffic, like it struggles to see a clear way through. Otherwise it's amazing.
Also surprising to me is that I've used the lane keeping a lot so far as well (enhanced autopilot) and it is very good. Again just has the occasional moment where it slows down when in a tight spot on a particularly sharp corner but only rarely. Lane changing by hitting the indicator is fun too. I may miss this when my three month free trial runs out. Though obviously I haven't tested it on a massively long trip or anything yet, but I have been driving a whole lot in past 24hrs.
I know other car makers have this stuff (and it's probably better for all I know), but it's still a godsend for me in London traffic.

Better post pics or risk a probe!! :haw:

Also grats new car time is super fun.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Better post pics or risk a probe!! :haw:

:hmmyes:

Congrats on new car, though. Yes, all that stuff is super nice, and, yes, many manufacturers have it these days. Living in the future is cool sometimes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Bolt krew, checking in. It is A Good Car.

Also the Polestar 4 price was announced, and it's $56K - $74K. I thought it was going to be their new entry level model, but I guess not? Seems expensive for a car without a rear window.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Any Bolt owners here have problems with the car that required shop repairs? I can’t find much about repair costs or reliability I think partially because of the battery recall. The Battery warranty and a little bit of powertrain are the only warranties left on the car.

Also I am happy to hear most people like the Bolt.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Any Bolt owners here have problems with the car that required shop repairs?

Nothing.

I made cruft jr take their 2019 into the shop last month, to get the moving parts checked for lubrication. The shop said it looked fine.

It needs the seatbelt pretensioner recall performed. I'm sure at that point we will be informed that the cabin air filter is in dire shape and desperately needs to be replaced if we value our lungs. Jr will then remember to drop $15 on one at AutoZone, and take the 8 minutes to replace it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

bird with big dick posted:

i like my mach-e and it feels better than a tesla :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The bit of time I spent in a Mach-E, it was fine. We seriously considered buying Uncle's minty-low mileage 2022 when his Lyriq arrived.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Radia posted:

i like my mach-e and it feels better than a tesla :(

BWBD is just salty because he (briefly) had one and couldn't get it up to 120 out of school zones quickly enough.

Everybody has different tastes and that's okay! I love my lovely 2017 LEAF.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

raggedphoto posted:

Any Bolt owners here have problems with the car that required shop repairs? I can’t find much about repair costs or reliability I think partially because of the battery recall. The Battery warranty and a little bit of powertrain are the only warranties left on the car.

Also I am happy to hear most people like the Bolt.

Sometimes after a rainstorm I need to wipe a camera off after driving through mud, so I've got one of those yellow microfiber cloths that come in a 500 pack from Costco.

That's basically it as far as regular maintenance.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Sometimes after a rainstorm I need to wipe a camera off after driving through mud, so I've got one of those yellow microfiber cloths that come in a 500 pack from Costco.

I replaced the windshield wipers about a year ago. It's probably time to do it again. Probably needs $2.50 worth of wiper fluid, too :argh:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

BWBD is just salty because he couldn't get it up

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

El Grillo posted:

Congrats on the new car! I’m two years into a Model 3 as well, it was a great purchase that I don’t regret a single bit

I’ll throw my hat in the ring and say the Bolt is fantastic. I had basically zero complaints about it, aside from the slow DFDC charging. And even then I made it work. If I wasn’t addicted to theme park road trips through the summer I’d probably still own it instead of upgrading to the 3

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

cruft posted:

I replaced the windshield wipers about a year ago. It's probably time to do it again. Probably needs $2.50 worth of wiper fluid, too :argh:

cruft posted:

Nothing.

I made cruft jr take their 2019 into the shop last month, to get the moving parts checked for lubrication. The shop said it looked fine.

It needs the seatbelt pretensioner recall performed. I'm sure at that point we will be informed that the cabin air filter is in dire shape and desperately needs to be replaced if we value our lungs. Jr will then remember to drop $15 on one at AutoZone, and take the 8 minutes to replace it.

Chronojam posted:

Makes the decision to say no to the extended warranty all that much better! Thanks for the feedback. Super happy I went for the all the packages available for the LT as well, never had a heated steering wheel before... it's nice.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

raggedphoto posted:

Makes the decision to say no to the extended warranty all that much better! Thanks for the feedback. Super happy I went for the all the packages available for the LT as well, never had a heated steering wheel before... it's nice.

The heated steering wheel is the only thing I've had to have repaired on mine, in 42,000 miles. Good choice though!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

cruft posted:

I got a used buyback 20220Bolt EUV Premier with the Sun & Sound package but no Super Cruise, about 9500 miles on it. I've had it for only 2 months and only put 700 or so miles on it. It feels like a huge upgrade from me, but I came from a dirt cheap 11 year old Chevy Spark. The sound system, the heated seats, the heated steering wheel, the sun roof, it feels like the peak of luxury to me. I really need to find a way to put more miles on it to unlock 100% battery capacity, I just don't drive all that much.

Anyways, the reason I quoted this post in particular to rave about my Bolt: did the bolt come with any kind of hydrophobic coating on the windshield? I'm not sure if it's stock or something the original owner put on, but it seems like there's some kind of coating, and it's wearing off, which gives me terrible visibility when it's wet. I can tell it's some kind of coating wearing off because the part of the windshield where both wipers overlap is much clearer. I'm not really sure what I should be doing here. If it's new wipers I need, or if there's some way to remove the coating entirely, but right now I really don't like driving when it's raining or snowing .

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Clean it with a mild degreaser and never worry about it again.

It's probably rainx or whatever borderline snake oil poo poo they have piled up near the exit at AutoZone

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I got a used buyback 20220Bolt EUV Premier with the Sun & Sound package but no Super Cruise, about 9500 miles on it.

That makes sense, the Bolt is a great enough car to still be made 18,000 years in the future, what's the range on that bad boy?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wipe the windshield with isopropyl alcohol on a small rag and then buff clean with a fresh towel. Throw some new wiper blades on if that doesn't solve it.

The stock blades are really bad imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://youtu.be/O0cs8aIXgkc

It ends with a comparison to the PT Cruiser lol.

None of this was new to me, posting only because the Cybertruck looks sick in that video. I recall gushing over the Ioniq 5 when I first saw it. Give us something different, automakers. Just different is good enough.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Elviscat posted:

That makes sense, the Bolt is a great enough car to still be made 18,000 years in the future, what's the range on that bad boy?

Even with the 80% charge limit the guess-o-meter tells me I could go over 170 light years.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

oh word? they don't make all your poo poo already?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Why do all of the EV's I've purchased have a Neutral on the stalk? How is that even accomplished with a single speed clutchless transmission?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cruft posted:

Why do all of the EV's I've purchased have a Neutral on the stalk? How is that even accomplished with a single speed clutchless transmission?

Neutral is for moving the car around without the motor. It's not something you'd need very often, but it's there for when you do.

How does it shift from F to R? Put a gap between the gears and voila you have neutral.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Neutral is for moving the car around without the motor. It's not something you'd need very often, but it's there for when you do.

How does it shift from F to R? Put a gap between the gears and voila you have neutral.

F and R are the same gear, which is what got me wondering about this. The way it shifts is, it reverses the phase of the AC signal sent to the motor.

On Tesla, at least, they tell you to never tow the car in Neutral. There's a special tow mode you have to go into for that.

My hunch is that Neutral is a fake gear, where the car tries to match its current speed by powering the motors just right so that it feels like there aren't huge magnets resisting movement (and generating current).

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 30, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Neutral just lets the motors freewheel, so when the brakes are released the vehicle will simply roll. The motors are still spinning, but no regen braking or hold is applied so they have no resistance. This is also why an EV should never be towed on its wheels: there is no way of disconnecting the motor from the axle, if the axle spins, so does the motor, and even without power all that rotation builds up heat from friction in the bearings/gearing.

Tow mode on a Tesla is limited to a short duration and is literally just to release the breaks/hold so it can be rolled on to a flat bed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So what's the difference between Neutral, which should not be used for towing, and Tow Mode, which should also not be used for towing?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Probably disabling other systems that make sense when driving but not when being towed, similar to car wash mode.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Transport Mode is only intended to allow for winching Model S onto a flatbed truck or repositioning the vehicle out of a parking space. While in Transport Mode, the tires are allowed to rotate slowly (under 3 mph or 5 km/h) and for a very short distance (less than 30 feet or 10 meters). See Activate Transport Mode. Exceeding these boundaries can lead to significant damage and overheating that is not covered by the warranty.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-B2B9E17B-E1D5-4C48-9306-AC62A375038D.html

I put my leaf into neutral when I go through the carwash!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

So what's the difference between Neutral, which should not be used for towing, and Tow Mode, which should also not be used for towing?

My guess would be tow mode can still be enabled even when the vehicle is otherwise undrivable and would normally refuse to arm the powertrain which is otherwise necessary to release the parking brake (out of battery? fuse blown? something else similar?). Neutral still requires the powertrain to be "ready" where tow mode does not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It depends on the motor and car construction too, fwd EVs like the Leaf and Bolt have a physical transmission (glorified differential), which I think have physical neutrals.

A lot of induction motors require a current to be applied to the rotating bit of the motor for it to generate electricity (regen), so if you don't have that, the motor will freewheel just fine when no power is applied.

Tesla uses motors that are directly coupled to the axle, and they use permanent magnet motors for efficiency, I think that those will generate current pretty much no matter what, hence the prohibition against towing long distance.

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

What's the thread's opinion on buying a very high mileage EV in general? Or specifically a 22 Kia EV6 with 60k miles. I don't even know how that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

blacksocks posted:

What's the thread's opinion on buying a very high mileage EV in general? Or specifically a 22 Kia EV6 with 60k miles. I don't even know how that's possible.

Probably an Uber?